Journeyman III

Are my 5900x temps normal?

Case CM H500

Dark rock pro 4

6800xt 70-77c under gaming load

5900x 

Idle/browsing: 35-50c

C20: 63-67c

Cyberpunk: 80-85c < that's the temp that worries me. Clock speed bounces between 4.5

0 Likes
4 Replies

Well you are using an air cooler with a 12 core processor with a thermal maximum of 90°C, you're going to have high temperatures. As to if they're "normal", that's going to depend on your case airflow, heatsink fan speeds, ambient temperatures, CPU speed, and CPU voltage.
0 Likes

After messing around it "seems" normal.

I just enabled PBO2 and did a -30 on the curve. Since doing that, my temps have improved a little but my boost clocks on cyberpunk are between 4.7-4.95 so I'm assuming it's just pushing as much as it can within a "safe" threshold. 

I think anyway. 

0 Likes

That's AMD's design, keep the speed as high as possible for as long as possible while leaving a small margin in the thermal headroom.
0 Likes

aahhh that makes sense.

So am I correct to assume that if I was to "upgrade" my cooler from a dark rock pro 4 (big Air cooler) to something like a h150/k73 I wouldn't see a much of a temp improvement but maybe higher sustained clocks? 

I have a well ventilated case so i don't think my temps are caused by bad air flow. 

Although tbh after looking online, around 80-85c isn't anything to worry about with a 5900x, especially since it's boosting to 4.7-4.9, just too me by surprise.

0 Likes