cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

palaris
Journeyman III

Are motherboards AM4 on 2 processors?

I want to know are motherboards with AM4 on 2 processors? I can not to buy TR4 and Threadripper, but my work need a power and this can be good decision for my work

0 Likes
3 Replies

I was somewhat confused by your question.

Are you saying if an AM4 Socket Motherboard will also be compatible with a TR4 Socket ThreadRipper Processor?

The ThreadRipper 2xxx processors requires a TR4 Socket Motherboard while the ThreadRipper 3xxx requires a TRX4 Socket Motherboard.

Both will not install on a AM4 Motherboard and the 3xxx ThreadRipper will not install on a 2xxx ThreadRipper Motherboard and vice versa.

0 Likes

I'm confused as well, but to extend elstaci's answer to cover more bases in case you are asking if Socket AM4 comes in a dual socket model, Socket AM4 motherboards do not come in dual socket models, but the Ryzen 3950X does have 16 cores/32 threads. It is a powerful processors, but requires equally powerful LIQUID COOLING, such as the Corsair H150, to exact the maximum amount of performance. It doesn't have the quad channel memory controller found in Threadripper though, so memory intensive programs will suffer.

https://www.amd.com/en/processors/3950x-thermal-solutions

0 Likes
rwd4ever
Adept III

I guess you mean 2 CPUs. Threadripper is a single-socket brother of Epyc server CPU. So you need to step up to Epyc if you want 2 sockets.

0 Likes