Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

hemraj17
Journeyman III

AMDuProfCLI timechart for power profile on AMD Ryzen 9 3900X doesn't work

When i am trying to run following command

C:\Program Files\AMD\AMDuProf\bin>AMDuProfCLI.exe timechart --event power --duration 10

it throws me an error power profile driver not installed.

Can anyone help on this?

Is 3900X supported for power profiling since i couldn't use power profile feature in AMDuProf-3.1.36 GUI as well?

Otherwise guide me which driver needs to be installed on Windows 10.

0 Likes
11 Replies

Try posting your question at AMD Server Gurus‌ also besides here, where many Users there use uProf program.  Even though your may not be connected or concerns a Server environment, You will notice if you go there that many Users posts questions concerning uProf program.

I went to AMD Server Gurus‌ and used the Filter feature to show all uProf questions posted there:

0 Likes

Hi,

We have corrected the issue and fix will be available in our next release

Thanks

0 Likes

Hi rajeebbarman‌,

When shall we expect the next release of uProf for windows platform with functional power profile for 3900X?

Thanks

0 Likes

@elstaci Thanks for your time. Please note that I raised this issue in October, so it is obvious that i am using version 3.1. I have read the documentation earlier and i can confirm that it doesn't work with 3900X. 

0 Likes

Your right, didn't catch that fact when I posted it. Will delete the reply with that information. Thanks.

0 Likes

Hi All,

AMDuProf3.2 release is expected during the first week of Nov, 2019. This issue is fixed in that release.

Thank you for writing to us.

Warm regards,

Rajeeb Barman

rajeebbarman‌ Thanks in uProf version 3.2 power profile is working for 3900X. Is there any way to capture Power measurement in Watts for "socket0-socket-power" on AMD 3900X using AMDuProfCLI?

AMD 3700U captures "socket0-socket-power" measurements in Watts but 3900X doesn't.

0 Likes

Hi Hemraj,

Thank you for letting us know the power profiler is working on AMD 3900X.

Yes, I also just noticed that AMDuProfCLI report is showing mj under UNIT column, instead of Watt. We will correct it in our next drop.

However, values provided in output file for all power counters are in Watt. So please read it as Watt.

Further, may I know what kind of use case you are running with power profiler? Please provide your feedback on power profiler so that we can improve our tool.

Regards,

Rajeeb

0 Likes

Hi rajeebbarman,

Thanks for the information.

I am measuring the power consumption for encoding videos on different AMD platforms, such as 3900X, 3700X, 3750H and 3700U.

It would be good if you can enable counters for "socket0-socket-power" on 3900X and 3700X. At present i can only extract data for "socket0-package-power" on 3900X and 3700X.

What is the difference between "socket0-socket-power" (Avg. APU Power) and "socket0-package-power"? It will be nice to have more concrete description of the counters in the report.

Best Regards,

Hemraj

0 Likes

Hi Hemraj,

Sorry for the late response. Ideally both should be same.

Package power is calculated from RAPL energy counters, however socket power was calculated from SMU provided interface. Both should result the same. However, we are moving towards RAPL based energy counters as those counter are validated. Going forward, we are trying to avoid SMU based counters.

in case of 3750H, we have currently both "socket0-socket-power" and "socket0-package-power" and we have observed a difference in the readings. We are trying to  see the issue in "socket0-socket-power". However, as mentioned, we will be mostly using RAPL based counters ("socket0-package-power") and so "socket0-socket-power" will be removed from the next release of AMDuProf.

Regards,
Rajeeb

0 Likes

check for a new BIOS for you motherboard, does wonders for the CPU performance with the Ryzen 3000 series processors

0 Likes