cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

expmrb
Journeyman III

AMD Sempron 145 2.8GHz query regarding running virtual machines

I am running this processor in 32 bit windows 7 with 4 GB RAM.

Now, I tried to install the Virtual Box version which is supported by the 32 bit OS but it didn't install. It said my processor is not compatible. Then I tried installing Virtual Machine Player but its still saying the same. So, does that mean that my processor cannot run a virtual machine?

0 Likes
8 Replies

The Sempron is able to run AMD Virtualization according to this website: http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-Sempron%20145%20-%20SDX145HBK13GM%20(SDX145HBGMBOX).html 

Do you have AMD-V enabled in BIOS?

I do know that Windows 10 has a Virtualization feature called HYPER-V and in BIOS SVM (Same as AMD-V) must be enabled.

Which version of Windows 7 to you have installed? Pro, Ultra, Enterprise?

This website offers several ways to run Virtual in Windows 7 - 10. For Windows 7 it offers a Microsoft tool and a couple others to determine if your CPU support Virtual.: How to find out if Intel VT-x or AMD-V Virtualization Technology is supported in Windows 10, Windows... 

From above link:

For  Microsoft® Hardware-Assisted Virtualization Detection Tool: Download Microsoft® Hardware-Assisted Virtualization Detection Tool from Official Microsoft Download... 

3rd Party old program to do the same as Microsoft Tool: SecurAble - Download 

This is just for information only in case you missed something:

How to "Installing Windows 7 virtual machine on VirtualBox": https://o7planning.org/en/11883/installing-windows-7-virtual-machine-on-virtualbox 

0 Likes

Many thanks I will check it out.

0 Likes

So I checked with SecurAble and its saying Virtualization is on.

Okay, on the contrary. I am using XAMP in my PC. Does it have anything to do with this?

0 Likes

Do you mean XAMPP or XAMP?

Either way I am not familiar with that term. If this is a Server type environment I would suggest posting at AMD Server Gurus‌.

Did my link on how to create a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox in Windows 7 help any from my previous comment?

What is the Make & Model of your motherboard, by any chance?

0 Likes

As I said I checked with SecurAble.

My BIOS is saying "American Megatrends Inc. 080015 , 4/24/2015 "

0 Likes

Yes, You processor can do VM since it says virtualization is enabled.  So BIOS must be configured correctly unless there are other BIOS settings that need to be configured.

Maybe you should download the latest version of Virtualbox: Oracle VM VirtualBox . At this link you can join VirtualBox Forum and ask them there how to set up BIOS and your Windows 7 for VM: virtualbox.org • Index page 

It would still be nice to know your motherboard's Make & Model.

Alright, thanks. I will get onto it.

0 Likes

Sorry I couldn't help you much except prove your Processor does support VM which was your original question.

Hopefully, VirtualBox Forum might be able to solve your problems.

Two things to consider before I leave this thread:

1) You are aware that in January 29, 2020 Windows 7 will not be supported anymore by Microsoft with Windows Updates and will be considered to be End Of Line or Service.

2) Is it possible because you only have 4 gbytes of RAM Memory is the reason why you couldn't create a VM in Windows 7. But now come to think about it, VirtualBox does say you can create VM in Windows 7 x32 which means that 4 gbytes should be sufficient.

anyways, Good Luck and I hope you get your VM working.

0 Likes