cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Aims
Adept I

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3960x - TRX40 help!

Hello everyone! I had a PC company build me a PC recently for my work (I'm a 3D artist). The main parts are the CPU - AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3960x & a TRX40 AORUS XTREME motherboard.

Recently my motherboard blew (unsure as to why) but anyways since all the parts are under warranty, I went back and they told me the TRX40 motherboard I have has been discontinued and finding available TRX40 motherboards is extremely rare and I should look at changing my CPU. Which is annoying as I just bought this 6 months ago and spent a tone of money on this.

I looked everywhere in Europe to find a spare TRX40 motherboard and only found some in Tunisia, Morocco, China, India - but don't want to order from those countries in case I have issues again. Plus if the motherboards are discontinued, why would I stick it out with these parts if there is no support. 

I've been told by the PC company that the CPU only takes TRX40 motherboards, and with them being discontinued, that its basicaally useless now, however I still see many shops online and in Europe selling the CPU. 

So just curious, is it true that this CPU only takes those motherboards? It's a bit odd no?

Any help would be appreciated!

5 Replies
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

The TRX40 motherboards are available in the USA through Newegg and probably other vendors.  Can you check some sites closer to you, perhaps in the UK?  I would wonder about your PSU too, if the motherboard failed.  I know those Threadripper CPUs use a lot of power.  Your particular motherboard is available at about $1K USD out here.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
0 Likes

Yeah I'm running a 2000w PSU + an 850w psu (I have 4 x RTX 3090s + a custom loop configuration). We initially thought it was the PSU, but after extensive testing it was working and turned out the motherboard was fried. 
Prefer to find them in the EU as I don't have to pay VAT when importing it in, there's literally not one available here which sucks. But its odd that I see the 3960X still being sold everywhere but the motherboard options are rare.

Aims, Amazon has many MBs that support your processor from the USD600s to USD1000. Try the EU equivalent of Amazon.  Sounds like your builder is not well informed. Good luck, John.

We've got amazon here in the EU, not one available on there unfortunately. Like I said, the only motherboards I have found are outside the EU (found many in the US and China) which if I were to import I'd get hit with 20% VAT taxes which is a tone of cash

0 Likes
Vynski
Exemplar

I just checked NewEgg site and they have several TRX40 boards form several manufacturers (ASUS, MSI, GIGABYTE).  There was no mention of them being out of stock and they were on the seller market and also have a shipping cost.  I went to one of the store sites and they had the ASUS ROG Zenith II with free shipping and no mention of it being out of stock.  Since it is an ASUS brand you should get good service.  Although it does indicate it ships from China.  In fact all of the TRX 40 boards ship from China except the MSI TRX 40 board that ships from US (AIO store), but it indicates a "special" shipping (don't know what they mean by that).  From what I am reading, I think all of these boards are manufactured in China and I don't think there will be any way around that at this time.

Good luck 

Famous last words of a RedNeck "Hey Ya'll, WATCH THIS"