cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

secc
Journeyman III

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX 3.0GHz very low in Cinebench (2694 cb)

I think I have the lowest Threadripper 2990wx on earth. Pretty slow compared to others.

My workstation:

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX 3.0GHz

Gigabyte X399 Designare EX

Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 3600 PC4-28800 32GB 4x8GB CL18

Corsair Hydro Series H100i RGB PLATINUM 240mm Liquid CPU Cooler

MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ventus 8GB GDDR6

Samsung SSD 970 EVO PCI-E NVMe M.2 500 GB

Corsair HX1200 1200W 80 Plus Platinum Modular

Windows 10 Pro

I enter bios and see memory working at 3400

It's working low using vray for 3ds max too.

I'm frustrated.

Thanks

0 Likes
28 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

secc, please post a complete screenshot of Ryzen Master (RM).  If you have not set an XMP Profile in the UEFI, then the memory will run default SPD.  Please run Thaiphoon Burner (free) and post a screenshot - will tell us your XMP profiles details.  During POST the memory is trained and may have the frequency lowered to boost chances of POSTing.  Here are my system specifications:

MSI X399 Creation, Threadripper 2990WX, 3xSamsung SSD 970 EVO RAID0, 4xSSD 960 EVO on

MSI AeroXpander RAID10, 1TB & 500 GB WD Black, G.SKILL Flare X F4-3200C14Q-32GFX,

Windows 10 x64 Pro, EnerMax-MaxTytan-EDT1250EWT, Enermx Liqtech TR4 280 CPU Cooler,

Radeon RX580, UEFI E7B92AMS.120, AGESA SummitPI-SP3r2-1.1.0.2

Enjoy, John.

EDIT Are you running 32 or 64 bit W10?

EDIT again: Please post a screenshot of your Cinebench results.

0 Likes
misterj
Big Boss

secc, I have a reply hung up being moderated.  Here it is with out the link:

secc, please post a complete screenshot of Ryzen Master (RM).  If you have not set an XMP Profile in the UEFI, then the memory will run default SPD.  Please Thaiphoon Burner (free) and post a screenshot - will tell us your XMP profiles details.  During POST the memory is trained and may have the frequency lowered to boost chances of POSTing.  Here are my system specifications:

MSI X399 Creation, Threadripper 2990WX, 3xSamsung SSD 970 EVO RAID0, 4xSSD 960 EVO on

MSI AeroXpander RAID10, 1TB & 500 GB WD Black, G.SKILL Flare X F4-3200C14Q-32GFX,

Windows 10 x64 Pro, EnerMax-MaxTytan-EDT1250EWT, Enermx Liqtech TR4 280 CPU Cooler,

Radeon RX580, UEFI E7B92AMS.120, AGESA SummitPI-SP3r2-1.1.0.2

Enjoy, John.

EDIT Are you running 32 or 64 bit W10?

EDIT again: Please post a screenshot of your Cinebench results.

I free fairly sure it is not your Memory speed.

0 Likes

Hi John, the screenshots:

Ryzen Master.jpgth-1.jpgcinebench.jpg

And I'm running 64 bit W 10 Pro.
Thanks for your reply.

Alex

0 Likes

Thanks, secc.  You are very welcome, I am glad to help if I can.  I do not understand a few things.  Cinebench  says you are running W8.  Are you sure you are running W10?  W8 does not have the task scheduler changes for Zen architecture and I would expect performance to be very poor.  The CPU voltage and the frequency on the RM are really low.  What were you running at the time?  Let's worry about the memory speed later and deal with the CPU performance.  I suggest you install a fresh copy of W10 (DL from MS Media Creation Center), being sure to format your C: disk first.  If I can find some useful screenshots, I will post then soon.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

I don't understand that W8 thing, it's pretty weird. I've downloaded W10 Pro from Microsoft site and I went to check again.

It says this:

Windows: 10 Pro

version: 1809

OS Version: 17763.253

0 Likes

You are correct, secc.   I just ran Cinebench on my 1950X and it says the same thing as your screenshot, so CB bad not ours.  You can run the command winver in a command prompt or Run dialog and it will say for sure.  17763.253 is the very latest.  I was hoping for a quicky.  My 1950X runs 2905 on CB.  Please post a screenshot of RM while CB is running.  Here's mine:

RunCB.jpg

Thanks and enjoy, John.

EDIT: What slots do you have your memory plugged?  It should be in slots A2, B2, C2 and D2.

0 Likes

Funny your 1950x is almost as fast as mine 2990wx (depressing too).

Running Cinebench shot, core speed so slow!

Ryzen Master CB.jpg

Here is where the memory sticks are plugged:

memory slots.jpg

I also checked the BIOS version and it's F11e, and it's right. It's the last one from Gigabyte site.

X399 DESIGNARE EX (rev. 1.0) | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global

I really don't know what else to do. Last thing is sending back where I bought to let them check, but I wish I could fix it because they are in another city and I need it for working.

Thanks, Alex

0 Likes

secc, you have pegged PPT - see the RED in RM screenshot. Are you willing to do a little OCing? If so, please select Profile 1 and set PPT to, say 300 then Apply and give it a try. It looks like you have plenty of headroom. Please post another RM screenshot. What power plan are you running? I will edit this after posting and provide the Ultimate plan. Your memory is correct. Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

misterj I'm a bit scary about losing the cpu warranty, I have no knowledge at all about OCing. 

I have a Corsair HX1200 1200W 80 Plus Platinum Modular.

Thanks, Alex

0 Likes

Gigabyte mentions for RAM Memory to run at 3600 (OC) for your motherboard,  it is recommended to use a 1st Generation Processor: X399 DESIGNARE EX (rev. 1.0) | Motherboard - GIGABYTE U.S.A. 

Do you have the latest BIOS version installed - F12e (03/09/2019) and latest Chip Set - 03/28/2019 which supports Windows version 1809? X399 DESIGNARE EX (rev. 1.0) | Motherboard - GIGABYTE U.S.A. 

By the way, The RAM Memory you purchased is not supported by your motherboard. The highest it supports is 3466 Mhz: X399 DESIGNARE EX (rev. 1.0) | Motherboard - GIGABYTE U.S.A.  From the 250 Watt QVL list which is 2990WX.  It is possible it might work but you need to contact Gigabyte Support to see if it is supported. As you noticed not all RAM Memory has been verified to work with XMP Profiles. "V" signifies it has be verified by Gigabyte Support.

I believe that is why you are having problems. Maybe if you reduce the speed of the RAM in BIOS to slightly less than 3000 Mhz and see if the computer works better.

NOTE: Have attached the RAM MEMORY QVL List for you to download and check for yourself.

0 Likes
cgorange
Adept II

Hello,

I recently build a new computer with a 2990WX and I’m also questioning if it’s actually running at the correct speed.  My Ryzen Master temps and settings look similar to yours except I have Dynamic Local Mode on. Im testing Cinebench now but I was wondering what your vray benchmark speed is. Mine bounces btw 27seconds - 29 seconds to finish the render.

V-Ray Benchmark – Standalone app for testing CPU and GPU render times | Chaos Group

0 Likes

cgorange, you really should start a new thread, but please post a screenshot of your Ryzen Master (RM) running CB (post score) and post your specifications (especially CPU cooler). I was going to run the V-Ray, but it seems to require an account and I have plenty. Can I DL it without? Is you memory in A2, B2, C2 and D2? Enjoy, John.

EDIT: Run this command in an Administrator command prompt - Powercfg -duplicatescheme e9a42b02-d5df-448d-aa00-03f14749eb61

then open Settings-System-Power & Sleep-Additional power settings and select Ultimate performance.

For a good reference for RM: search and DL this file: ryzen-master-quick-reference-guide.pdf

The pegged PPT will probably throttle the clocks and core voltage.

EDIT: I hope this is seen soon because this may be the solution!

EDIT: I brought up my 2998WX and ran CB - 5040 and 5116 with PBO set.  Working my system to get it cleaned up.

EDIT: My system pegged PPT also, so I upped it to 300Watts and upped the memory speed to 3200 MHz.  CB is now 5314.  I had to up the PPT in BIOS to 300 Watts, RM could not exceed the limit set in the BIOS.  I set PPT back to 250 Watts and CB went to 5037, meaning that most of the gain is upping PPT.

0 Likes

Here is an interesting article on the current 2990WX/Microsoft scheduler problem that reduces performance.  There is also a free application to address the issue while MS considers a solution.  A link is provided to Coreprio in the provided link.  Please post if you try it.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

cgorange.

My vray 1.08 bench score is 00:26 but I OCed my cpu by 10% in the power cap (lifted to 275w from 250w). Your score seems to be normal for stock speeds. 

0 Likes

thanks yeah I cant hit :26 anymore. I assume because I installed software and that's running in the background but my times are more like :28 now. 

I'll make my own thread

0 Likes

cgorange, please see this thread.  Enjoy, John.

EDIT: I just ran V-Ray in 23 Seconds with coreprior.exe (v 0.0.3.8) active. 

0 Likes
angryphoton
Adept II

This might be a dumb suggestion but did you check that all your power cables to the PSU and motherboard are connected correctly?  You have a fully modular PSU and sometimes it can get confusing. Your motherboard has 3 power connections,  a 24, 8 and 4 pin connector.  Make sure all are connected properly to the correct PSU sockets. Lastly can you post a screenshot of Ryzen Mater while cinebech is running? That will tell us the frequency your cores are running during load. 

0 Likes
m_balauszko
Journeyman III

Hi,

I've just moved from x399 Taichi (that was defective) to the Designare board. My CPU performance got cut in half. I have now similar cinebench scores to OP. I'll now try fresh windows install and check if that helps. See the screenshot attached.Untitled-1.jpg

0 Likes

You should make a new thread and post this screenshot, info about the parts in your computer and a ryzen master screenshot while running the benchmark

@secc

did you ever find a fix for this problem?  Looking at it more, yeah that cinebench number is really low. my comp at stock settings got 4929. pastedImage_1.jpg

0 Likes

black_zion‌ opened a thread where Users have been posting their results using the latest CineBench 15: Post Your Cinebench R20 Scores Here 

According to a chart he posted, both of your 2990WX are posting like an 8 core or less procesor:

0 Likes

The chart you just linked is for Cinebench r20 which has higher numbers then r15.. so you can't compare them.

0 Likes

This is my R20 benchmark for your reference.

pastedImage_1.jpg

0 Likes

Well, seems like your Processor is almost identical to PC World's results.

0 Likes

Yea, it's a few hundred lower  I think because my comp is throttling.. it hits the unfortunate 64 degrees when it renders. 

0 Likes

My error as mentioned by cgorange‌ it is Cinebench "20" and not CineBench "15".

0 Likes
m_balauszko
Journeyman III

Hi, I managed to fix my poor performance simply by installing proper chipset drivers for the Designare board. I was running previous drivers from Taichi and that might have been a source of the problem.

Cheers.

0 Likes

Nice, that's good. It probably doesn't matter for you since you already fixed the problem but AMD also has chipsets on their website that will be more updated then ones posted on the motherboard website. 

That's good to know if I encounter any more problems in the future. Thanks!

0 Likes