Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Highlighted
Big Boss
Big Boss

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X vs. Intel Core i9-7980XE

https://www.computerpoweruser.com/article/24864/review-amd-ryzen-threadripper-1950x-vs-intel-core-i9...

This review of the $999 AMD processor vs the $1999 Intel processor.

Verdict, buy AMD and spend the extra $1000 on a pair of new video cards or 8 sticks of memory....

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Highlighted
Adept III
Adept III

Re: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X vs. Intel Core i9-7980XE

Anandtech's conclusion:

Price: $1999 is a new record for consumer processors. Intel is charging this much because it can – this processor does take the absolute workstation performance crown. For high performance, that is usually enough – the sort of users that are interested in this level of performance are not overly interested in performance per dollar, especially if a software license is nearer $10k. However for everyone else, unless you can take advantage of TSX or AVX-512, the price is exorbitant, and all arrows point towards AMD instead. Half the price is hard to ignore.

Users looking at the new processors for workstation use should consider the three Ps. It’s not an easy task, and will highly depend on the user specific workflow. The recommendations ultimately come down to three suggestions:

• If a user needs the top best workstation processor without ECC, then get Skylake-X.
  • If a user needs ECC or 512GB of DRAM, Xeon-W looks a better bet.
  • If a user has a strict budget or wants another GPU for compute workloads, look at Threadripper.

AVX-512 is indeed an advantage, but I wonder how hot the 7980XE gets using it?

Highlighted
Big Boss
Big Boss

AVX-512 is more of a gimmick that substantive.  AMD simply now competes with Intel across more of the market instead of only at the low end.

This was make things better for consumers generally as competition drives innovation

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Or.... get the 7890XE (or other i9) if you need proper virtualization support, working non-GPU PCIe cards (numerous cards of varying function are having POSTing issues, and there is an abundance of weird errors logged on the PCI bus), and/or PCI-passthrough to VMs, all of which have severe issues on X399​.

I applaud AMD for the price per core, but the platform is severely broken for a lot of workstation use cases that would most benefit from its high core count. I want to love my Threadripper but its a broken mess, and more than a month in there's been pretty much no improvement. Couple that with the amount of amateurish mistakes in my motherboard BIOS (Zenith Xtreme, but others are having similar issues) & completely worthless customer support, and I'm an unhappy camper personally. If the situation doesn't improve soon, I'll be selling it off and switching to the 7890XE (which although more expensive, would give me two more cores and make me not have to worry about NUMA issues, although I'd take a hit on PCIe lanes).

After mounting public pressure on Reddit, AMD has at least finally gotten engaged on these issues on Reddit and opened a survey​ to gather data about the problems, and Robert has promised a blog post​ soon about the issues. Ironically though, they can't be bothered to acknowledge the problem on their own forums.These things all work properly on Intel's platform, but like anything in life - you get what you pay for.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forerunner
Forerunner

I know this is about the big boys, but I have read two separate instances of 1800x having issues with simple machine virtualization. One was a post on this forum, and the other elsewhere.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Big Boss
Big Boss

My i3-2100 box has to go through 8 BIOS updates before all the kinks were fixed, they also added UEFI to BIOS

The Board is an Asus H61 model, low cost I use it to review low end video cards.

0 Kudos