cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

cscslsy
Journeyman III

AMD Ryzen 9 5950x question related with its normal temperature and compactable RAM

I just updated my processor from Ryzen5 2600 to Ryzen9 5950x.  also, I am considering upgrading the RAM to a better one, I noticed the Ryzen 9 only supports the RAM up to 3200MHZ, I wonder that is the maximum. and which meant I shouldn't install any RAM frequency higher than 3200MHZ. I ask this because I do see someone recommend that "the best RAM for Ryzen 9 5950x" is one with a much higher frequency compared with 3200MHZ.

for example: " should I buy the RAM with 3600MHZ rather than 3200MHZ" (in terms of pursuing the best performance)

another question that keep bothering me recently. I have noticed the Ryzen9 processor has a higher temperature compared with Ryzen5 ( the one I used to have for this PC). the temperature is around 65 and up for doing nothing (ps: only browsing the webpage and reading emails). I wonder if this is normal. ( I do upgrade my CPU thermal to a liquid cooler, the one with a dual-fan and radiator).

the question is :

what is the proper temperature for Ryzen9 to achieve the best performance?

0 Likes
1 Reply

The Ryzen 3000 & 5000 series "Sweet Spot" for RAM Speed is 3600Mhz.  The Sweet Spot is where the processor's performance will be at its best for the RAM that is installed.

The "Sweet Spot" for the 2000 series processors is 3200Mhz.

You can install higher speeds of RAM if your Motherboard supports Overclocking to higher speeds. But the performance wouldn't increase that much.

Comparing your previous Ryzen 5 2600 to your new Ryzen 9 5950x:

Ryzen 2600: Maximum Operating Temperature is 95c and its TDP Rating for CPU Coolers is 65 Watts.

Ryzen 5950x: Maximum Operating Temperature is 90c and its TDP Rating for CPU Coolers is 105 Watts.

The 5950x is a hotter processor but with a lower Maximum Operating Temperature. So a high quality AIO CPU Cooler will be needed or High Quality Air CPU Cooler to maintain the processor from overheating and going over 90c.

My opinion is you should find a CPU Cooler that will keep the processor's temperature about 10 degrees lower than the Maximum Operating Temperature to be on the safe side.

The processor is engineered to run at 90c without any issues and before it starts to throttle or slow down.  But if you keep the temperature at or below 80c and if the processor should run hotter for any reason than you have a 10 degree safety range to find out why it is running hotter than usual.

0 Likes