cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

jamalx
Journeyman III

AMD Ryzen 9 3950X CPU recommended a water cooler what if i use a fan cooler

I'm building my first Pc and i want to buy the AMD Ryzen 9 3950X CPU, but on site it recommended a water cooler, and im not experience with water cools. And if the water cooler fails then it most likely will damage the pc or even the CPU... I would like to know do i have to buy a water cooler or can i use a really good and powerful fan cooler, in the case i might have like 5 or 8 fans lineing the case any ways.. I would like to know others experience dealing with this.. and what should i do or whats best for this cpu or can a good $100 to $200 fan cooler work the same or if not better...

0 Likes
5 Replies

here is AMD Recommended CPU Coolers for the 3950X: https://www.amd.com/en/processors/3950x-thermal-solutions 

Seems like all are Water-cooled which AMD recommends for this processor even though 3950X has a TDP of 105 watts.

You can use an Air cooled Cooler but it has to be made for a processor of at least TDP 150 watts or higher.

If you want you can go by AMD Recommended CPU Coolers for the AMD ThreadRipper Processors that have a TDP of 180 and 280 watts: https://www.amd.com/en/thermal-solutions-threadripper . These does have some Air Cooler that might be comparable to water cooled CPU Coolers.

NOTE: Having very good Computer case air flow is very important but the most important fan is the CPU Cooler that directly cools the CPU. If the CPU Cooler is not powerful enough to maintain the processor cool under heavy loads than no matter how good of an air flow you have in the computer case the processor will still most likely overheat.

I use a Noctua DH-15s with 2 fans on my 3950X, and I have had no issues with temperature even at 100% load on all cores.  A big air heatsink like that should work just fine.

EDIT: My case is a Corsair Air 740 (big, dual-chamber case) that was the older version of this: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Cases/Crystal-Series-680X-RGB-High-Airflow-Tempere... 

I have 120mm or 140mm Noctua fans on every possible mounting point; this gives me plenty of cooling with minimal noise, and if I turn the fans up to 100%, it's noisy but drops my CPU temps during heavy use.

To elaborate, liquid coolers, especially closed loop coolers such as the Corsair H150, for the last many years are not like they were when they first came to the market. Leaks are extremely rare, and the liquid is not electrically conductive. Some companies, such as Corsair, also warranty all components in your PC against damage caused by a leak. Newer models also feature more flexible hoses as well to make installation easier and to reduce stress which helps prevent leaks.

Yes the pump is a much more complex item than a heatpipe so it can malfunction, but liquid coolers from reputable manufacturers have longer warranties than are typical for electronics for that reason. Corsair and Enermax have 2 year warranties, Cooler Master and Gigabyte 3 years, for example. Heatpipes can also malfunction and leak their coolant, rendering them ineffective, and that is the most foul smelling substance you will ever smell if it does happen...did to me way back when I had a tower cooler, the Xigmatex HDT-S1283, on my Athlon64 6000+...

Also it has to be said that unless you are a professional user, the 3950X is extreme overkill. For gaming an 8 core CPU is plenty fast, far less expensive, and easily air cooled, though the silence and performance in warmer ambient environments afforded by liquid is a benefit to anyone, especially considering the fact that AMD's Turbo algorithms shoot a lot of voltage to the CPU, in excess of 1.4v, which generates quite a bit of heat, and temperature is the prime factor in determining how fast that Turbo speed is.

Yeah, I use that CPU for Unreal Engine 4's editor, which is a sky-is-the-limit on the number of threads that it can use.  Calculating lighting and compiling projects uses all 16 cores at 100%.  I would not have bought the 3950X just for games, I agree.  An AIO might give me higher single core boost clocks, but to me isn't worth the extra money for a small performance gain.  I also had a Kraken X62 and the noise was too distracting for me to work with.

mccharle
Elite

Hello,

for my Ryzen 3950x I use a Corsair H115i Pro, on silent fan mode and idle on windows my CPU stay at 36°C, on burn the CPU stay at 79°C also on silent fan mode, no noise from my case. With standard fan profile or extreme, never past 68°C.

My pump cooler is fixed on the front case, on top I think temps may down a little.