cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

chuckehs
Newcomer

AMD Ryzen 9 3900x, will it fit my motherboard? :(

Just recently purchased and unfortunately didn't do as much research as I thought, (keep in mind, I'm somewhat of a PC build noob). 
I have had a prebuilt HP Omen, motherboard is HP 84FD
Came in with a Intel i7-9700k, is it not possible for the Ryzen 9 3900x to fit this motherboard?
Was talking to a guy on Discord and he says he believe it won't work out for me unless I get a new motherboard..

0 Likes
4 Replies
chuckehs
Newcomer

Correction.. I believe I posted the WRONG mother board, I actually have this one. Sorry 
"Edoras"

0 Likes
fyrel
Miniboss

You will need a new motherboard.

Intel i7-9700k uses socket LGA1151 motherboards.

Ryzen 9 3900x uses socket AM4 motherboards.

With a high end chip like that you probably want a X570 chipset motherboard with good VRM.

0 Likes
mccharle
Elite

hello,

you need to find a micro-ATX motherboard with x570 chipset, b550 or for budget the old b450.

You can find some good tutorial to do it on youtube.

Before doing it, check for DRAM compatibility on motherboard manufacturer website.

Wiring also need to be check, not all connectors from the case will fit with new motherboard. Otherwise, you need to change the case too.

0 Likes
qbtheslayer
Challenger

Also will want to buy a new PSU...  most pre-built systems come with a junk PSU that barely fits the required system specs listed and sometimes even have weird proprietary stuff as well like strange motherboard connections and no 8-pin CPU connections (let alone dual 8-pin that maybe needed for some CPU's)...  Upgrading a Pre-built may not be as easy as it sounds...

QB

0 Likes