cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Shaterhand
Adept I

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X High temps workaround.

Hello, I've recently finished up my gaming PC and I have a problem with 5800X, its pretty hot. I've done some research on the internet and apparently out of all cpu's from the new series, this one is specificly 15-20 C hotter than the others, sadly. Currently I'm playing WoW, with max settings and the CPU temp is around 70 in world and 65 ish during raids, and that for World of Warcraft which is not the most demanding game out there, I didn't had time to test it in other games. Considering my case is Fractal R6 Define edition, I've replaced the stock fans with 3 noctuas and the CPU cooler is also noctua, NH-U12A, basicaly my cooling is pretty high-end, hitting that these kind of temp is pretty bad In my opinion. In cinebench test, with out of the stock settings and with fans running at 100%, the temps I get are around 84-85 C, which is insanely hot in my opinion, considering that 5900X is a better CPU, I've read on the interent that is hitting in cinebench around 69 C......

So, to solve this, because I don't like having my fans running at 100% all the time, is too noisy, I want to lower the CPU temps by other means, I've tried to downclock my CPU basically and I've got the results I wanted in terms of temp, by using AMD Ryzen Master and by BIOS, but there is one problem. Doesn't matter if I use Ryzen Master or BIOS to reduce the frequency and voltage for my cpu, if I change the frequency by any value, the frequency then remains stuck at that value even in idle. Running at 4,5GHz in idle, seems pointless to me and I don't even know if that a good thing to have your CPU running constantly at that maximum speed you set it. I've watched Jaytwocents video about undervolting and underclocking and the only thing he mentioned about this, is that you should have your power plans in windows to balance, but mine already are and the frequency doesn't want to drop to anything lower than I set it. 

So is there a way to fix it? Can I only set the maximum CPU frequency that it can reach, for example I want to set it to reach max 4,5GHz (but not remain stuck at it, even in idle) so I can lower the voltage and thus getting lower temps?

63 Replies