cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Menarini
Adept I

Re: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X High temps workaround.

My cooler is Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4 and got 91 degrees in Prime95/OCCT

0 Likes
Robinhood
Adept I

Okay, what you need to do is simply undervolt the CPU while leaving everything else stock. Out of the box, many motherboard manufacturers pump up the power and voltage limits to get the max out of the CPU if there's headroom. While this is perfectly fine, if you're not comfortable with high temperatures of 90 C, simply undervolt it.

Reset your BIOS, turn on XMP, then go to the CPU voltage or vcore and lower it by .1 or .2. Play around with how much you can get away with before it becomes unstable. If you're unsure where to find the voltage setting, look up a video on your specific motherboard model.

0 Likes
Robinhood
Adept I

Okay, what you need to do is simply undervolt the CPU while leaving everything else stock. Out of the box, many motherboard manufacturers pump up the power and voltage limits to get the max out of the CPU if there's headroom. While this is perfectly fine, if you're not comfortable with high temperatures of 90 C, simply undervolt it.

Reset your BIOS, turn on XMP, then go to the CPU voltage or vcore and lower it by .1 or .2. Play around with how much you can get away with before it becomes unstable. If you're unsure where to find the voltage setting, look up a video on your specific motherboard model.

Robinhood
Adept I

I also wanted to add: several people here were having an issue where their CPUs were locked to a certain frequency or voltage. The reason this happens is because, when setting a manual voltage, the CPU will run at that fixed frequency. This is obviously not ideal since you want the CPU to downclock when it's idling.

Intel has had a feature where you could set a Voltage offset (v-core offset) which allows the CPU to boost itself up or down but just at a higher or lower voltage based on the amount set. Apparently, Ryzen didn't have this feature-- until recently! 

My Ryzen 7 5800x was also running quite hot at stock levels, even with Kraken x63. What I changed was the AMD equivalent of the v-core offset, along with the power allowance of the chip.

Here are two videos showing how to do this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfkrp25dpQ0

To undervolt using an offset, go into the BIOS, find "advanced CPU configuration," then "AMD overclocking." Set Precision Boost Overdrive to advanced, and turn off PBO limits. Then head into Curve Optimizer. This is the V-core offset. This number dictates by how many mV you want to undervolt or overvolt the CPU. Set it to negative (undervolt) and set the number to 30. This is the most optimistic result, but it might not be stable. Do some stress testing and see how high you can get the negative v-core offset.

The next video is about changing power limitations for the CPU. 

https://youtu.be/-m3V8gcflTU?t=420

Download the Ryzen Master application. Boot it up and go to advanced mode. Go into Profile 1, and choose Precision Boost Overdrive– or manual if you know what you’re doing. There you can adjust the peak voltage (the maximum voltage the CPU is permitted to draw), and power draw.

PPT is how much total power the CPU can consume, on mine I personally set this to 120 W. I believe stock it’s set to 142 W, which exceeds the 105 W TDP of the chip, and a big reason as to why the chip runs hot for many of us!

TDC and EDC is the amperage the motherboard is allowed to feed to the CPU for short and sustained loads.

TDC is amps for burst loads. I set mine to 105 A.

EDC is for sustained loads. I set mine to 85 A.

Important note: Ryzen Master can’t override settings in your BIOS, so for Ryzen Master settings to apply, settings in the BIOS must be set to “auto.”

Following these steps, hopefully you can have a cooler and quieter system. Or, if you so wish, a more powerful and hungry one.

Finally, I just want to stress that there is absolutely nothing wrong with how the CPU is out of the box. Precision Boost Overdrive is quite aggressive with voltage and power, but it’s within the safe parameters of the chip. Ryzen CPUs throttle themselves when they reach 90 C, which is within safe operating temperatures. However, if you’re someone like me who favors a quieter less power-hungry experience, you can absolutely tweak PBO to draw less voltage and power, while still turboing up considerably.

0 Likes
JoergBaermann
Journeyman III

Here is what I went with since I couldn't be arsed to fine tune way to many settings.
I don't see any performance decrease in any game, rest of programs also run fine, so even if it dropped performance somewhere it doesn't really matter to me, just want low temps and my rad fans quiet when it boost up on the cores.

20210425_173552503_iOS.jpg

0 Likes
Kitiarian
Adept I

Thanks for sharing that - dropping windows max power setting to 99% instead of 100 dropped my CPU temp 30 degrees. Seems like windows might be contributing to the heat problem, when set to 100% (windows default) it had the CPU running at max speed and voltage when idle 

@andma_fr wrote:

Well I have a French system but will try. I guess it's there:

- In search box, type power management

- Then on the right side you can choose to change settings of the current mode

- Then you can click on advanced settings

- In the new list you should have something related to CPU

- Finally you can set something than 100% in the max state

Hope it helps

0 Likes
JoergBaermann
Journeyman III

I use the Windows Power Saving plan on top of what I posted for max temperatures, with a few modifications, AMD optimized and balanced power plan settings seem not to reduce CPU frequency when idle or at low loads.
Most games I play CPU temps go from 30-45C, there are a few exception with games that make use of cut scenes where CPU load is pushed.

0 Likes
Kitiarian
Adept I

Glad that worked out for you! By changing 100% to 99% my temps stabilized around 33 when idle and 40 (ish) under med load - down from 69-74 idle. Haven't tried a higher load yet 

@JoergBaermann wrote:

I use the Windows Power Saving plan on top of what I posted for max temperatures, with a few modifications, AMD optimized and balanced power plan settings seem not to reduce CPU frequency when idle or at low loads.
Most games I play CPU temps go from 30-45C, there are a few exception with games that make use of cut scenes where CPU load is pushed.

0 Likes
flagrant99
Adept II

THANK YOU!

Opening a new web page in the browser was driving me nutz. Every time I browse to a new web page My fans go spinup and CPU hits 90c with CPU load at 1%. Not gaming computer is doing nothing. 

Tried ECO Mode 65 watts and did not help. 

Settings -> System -> Power & Sleep -> Additional Power Settings -> High Performance -> Change Plan Settings -> Change Advanced Power Settings. -> Processor Power Management.
Minimum Processor State 
100% -> TO 5%

Keep System Cooling Policy on Active

Maximum Processor State 
100% -> TO 99%

Now it never goes above 40c. 

Ahhhhh  now I can cruise the internet in peace. 

Modged
Journeyman III

Hello same here from 70 to 40C by putting 99% at max state thanks

0 Likes