cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

JoltCola
Adept III

Re: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X High temps workaround.

Zen 3 (5000-series) do not have or need the special Ryzen power plan, per AMD.

kensei
Adept I

thanks for answering, yeah i saw that but how do i lower my idle temp it's almost the same temp when on load... it's weird never seen a cpu at 55-60° when idle

- Mobo: Asus strix X570

- AIO: NZXT Z73

CalinB
Adept III

I got this from AMD:

Dear Calin,

Thank you for your patience.

We do have the situation under discussion and also have important information to work with you.

In fact, at the moment we need to understand the actual cause behind the issue, which points us to a sensor being misread, this caused to what seems the motherboard and with a possibility of an issue with the BIOS/AGESA used along. This last point, however, would need a close investigation on the issue, as a code bug, for instance, is expected to have different symptoms but, despite, we are keeping a close eye on the situation to ensure we are not missing any point here.

I changed my mobo to MSI Meg ace and I have 39 idle now

Berk-124
Journeyman III

Sorry for my english

I got my 5800X one week ago. It replace my 2700x.

Is mounted on an Aorus B450 elite with bios f60, 32 Gb of 3000 DDR4 OC @ 3200 and an RTX 3080 Gigabyte.

The cooler is an NHU-12S with 2 brand new NF-A12 fans (the best fans from noctua at the moment)

The case is a Fractal Design Define R5 with 2*140 mm front + 1*140 rear + 1*120 bottom and 1*120 top. I've removed all HDD and optical bays case to maximize the airflow.

Idle temperature is fine : 33°C

However i get high temperature in load, doesn't care if it's only one thread or 16. It reached  82/84°C on Cinebench R23, less when using one thread.

Using eco mode and curve optimizer help a little but it can't go as low as a 5600x, even with 2 cores desactivated in bios. But with eco mode and only 6 cores activated  it's now a 5600x, so i should have the same temperature.

What is really strange for me is the cooler temperature. It still near to idle temperature and i can touch it with my finger : not hot, not warm, just 35°C or something like that. However even if it's an hotspot (1 CCD) that use 105W (140 peak) there is no other way than the heatsink to go for all this power. So where is my heat ? When i was using my 2700x also rated for 105 TDP, the heatsink was hot (around 50/55°C).

So, and what if these 5800x have a bad reported temperature and power consumption ? Any news about that ?

gmontenegro3
Adept I

5800x is a bit overkill for your mobo's vrm, i wouldnt run anything above a 3700x on it. And about that temperature, well, i don't think the sensor is wrong.

gmontenegro3
Adept I

5800X GEEKBENCH STOCK VS ECO MODE

COMPARISON ECO MODE.png

JoltCola
Adept III

Makes sense, it only really needs more juice with lots of active cores and the 5800X only has 2 more than the 5600X. You wouldn't get that result on a 5900X or particularly 5950X.

Menarini
Adept I

What did you do? How did you set the eco mode? Does it affect FPS dramatically?

andma_fr
Adept I

I didn't see much difference when applying eco mode (in AMD Ryzen Master / Advanced display), at least in games.

Eventually I solved the issue by changing my CPU FAN to a Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black. Average temp decreased by almost 10°C ! (I was coming from a Be Quiet Shadow Rock Slim which is supposed to support 160W TDP...). I never reach 80°C anymore, even playing long time Cyberpunk (which was the worst application regarding CPU temp for me).

gmontenegro3
Adept I

What motherboard do you have? Its in the Bios > advanced oc settings. Eco mode sets the cpu to be limited at 65w in PBO, and the drop in real performance will likely be the same as from 3800x to 3700x, something between 1% and 3%.