cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Shaterhand
Adept I

Re: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X High temps workaround.

I've just tried it and if I set the max cpu power to anything less than 100%, even 99%, the cpu max  clock speed becomes 3,72ghz, from 4,8ghz. Thats 1100 points in cinebench for just 1%, probably because that % is based on the base clock speed not with the overclocks settings that are stock anyway from AMD. The temp does drop, in cinebench I hit around 60 C with this, but even so for 3,7ghz and around not even 1V, mostly 0,92V it was, 60C its a lot. Thats not what I was looking for anyway, with that clock speed, this is worse than even older CPUs, I was hoping it would take the overclock settings into account and be able to limit it to around 4,5ghz with the necessary voltage.

I don't think there is a fix for this, 5800 is the worst product out of all, they screwed really badly on this. With out of the stock settings for all 5000 CPUs, 5800 has +20-25C above everything else. This is simply outrageous, I really whish I wouldn't have taken someone advice to buy this CPU as soon as I was available in stock in my country, out of fear cuz they will go out of stock, Cuz I finished my new PC way before i could return it, otherwise I would have return it from day 1.

I don't advise anyone to buy the 5800x, regardless of what cooling you have. At this point, I will probably try to sell it second-hand, cheaper, and buy the 5600x.

0 Likes
xlox
Miniboss

i read you first post and i think you mix a lot of readings you made without being able to compare effectively ... being on air i don't think you have any problem at all, wondering what did make you think that (too much video on youtube misleading you maybe , maybe it's your first ryzen, you got to learn to know the baby) ... 8 core + auto oc = heat .. nothing new.. sure 6 core is potentially less warm until you tweak it ... and telling 5900x is cooler , i don't think so ... i have 5950x ... all these cpu work with an associated tdp and auto oc is not limited with temps until 90 or 95° , 80-85 on air is average pretty good

HardcoreUnderclocking
Journeyman III

Mine is set to a max value of 10 following this guide and seems to be fine (down to 70-80 under load from 80-90), I also set custom fan speed curves for the cpu and case exhaust fans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfkrp25dpQ0&

0 Likes
JDA80
Journeyman III

I followed that vid and while it was successful in Cinebench and will pass a 5-10 min loop on all core I get random reboots with WHEA uncorrectable errors when light browsing, gaming etc.

Gotta admit I'm really struggling with my 5800x and curve optimizer on my MSI MPG B550 Gaming Carbon. Things can seem perfectly stable on heavy all core load and then I get the random reboots on lighter loads.

0 Likes
gmontenegro3
Adept I

Just set it to ECO mode in the AMD BIOS overclocking settings, this will reduce your temperature by 10ºC and you will see a 3% drop in multi-core performance, but a 3% increase in single-core performance. obs.: im using Cpu Aircooler Scythe Fuma 2 in an ATX Airflow Case filled with 140mm silent fans and good quality thermal paste.

test.png

gmontenegro3_0-1611784945911.png

0 Likes
gmontenegro3
Adept I

Don't sell it, just set it to eco mode and it will run nice and cool.

0 Likes
CalinB
Adept III

I have this issue on a 5950x. Talked with AMD about this, they told me it’s either a defective cpu, or mobo. I have a Crosshair hero wi fi. I talked to ASUS about it, they told me it’s a defective mobo. So either way, if you have a different mobo at hand, try the cpu on that. It’s not software related, it’s hardware.

0 Likes
andma_fr
Adept I

Hello,

Just built my new PC and ran into same issues. Here're some thoughts.

With the default settings, I've got the following:

- I've got 45°C in average with some spikes at 60°C. Measures taken with Open Hardware Monitor which allows logging.

- Under Cinebench R23 MC, I've reached 90,25°C ! And got the score of 14771.

Note that Open Hardware Monitor gives me two values for CPU: CPU package and CCD, don't know which one is the most accurate (but CCD is a bit higher reaching 91°C).

Then I've tried ECO mode (set in Ryzen Master), and got the following:

- In average 41°C and some spikes at 55°C.

- Under Cinebench, got an average of 75°C with a score of 14114.

All of that knowing that I have a stock Be Quiet 500DX case with 3 Fans and a Be Quiet Shadow Rock Slim as the CPU Fan. Not the best one, not the worse one.

Then I don't think we're going to solve this problem as it seems to be the way this CPU works, period. But I 've have two options:

- Run in ECO mode. According to Open Hardware Monitor, assuming values are correctly reported, and according to Cinebench results, the difference in performances is not that big. And certainly the easiest way to decrease CPU temp.

- Leave the default mode and the CPU reach high temperatures. I mean, no matter the cooling solution, here on this thread the high end air cooling, in other discussions, water cooling, we all face the same issue. So either by design this CPU runs HOT and there is no issue, or This is really a problem and we should all get back tp AMD.

Finally my decision would depend on this: I could leave the default mode, and we'll see if the CPU survives. But I don't want to damage other components. Is that a possibility ?

My two cents, of course.

0 Likes
kensei
Adept I

Hello, 

Wanted to ask how can i get the Ryzen power plan on Windows 10, i don't find it anywhere, in my case i have a problem with idle temp it's around 50° which is too high.

Thanks.

0 Likes
andma_fr
Adept I

Well I have a French system but will try. I guess it's there:

- In search box, type power management

- Then on the right side you can choose to change settings of the current mode

- Then you can click on advanced settings

- In the new list you should have something related to CPU

- Finally you can set something than 100% in the max state

Hope it helps