cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Shaterhand
Adept I

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X High temps workaround.

Hello, I've recently finished up my gaming PC and I have a problem with 5800X, its pretty hot. I've done some research on the internet and apparently out of all cpu's from the new series, this one is specificly 15-20 C hotter than the others, sadly. Currently I'm playing WoW, with max settings and the CPU temp is around 70 in world and 65 ish during raids, and that for World of Warcraft which is not the most demanding game out there, I didn't had time to test it in other games. Considering my case is Fractal R6 Define edition, I've replaced the stock fans with 3 noctuas and the CPU cooler is also noctua, NH-U12A, basicaly my cooling is pretty high-end, hitting that these kind of temp is pretty bad In my opinion. In cinebench test, with out of the stock settings and with fans running at 100%, the temps I get are around 84-85 C, which is insanely hot in my opinion, considering that 5900X is a better CPU, I've read on the interent that is hitting in cinebench around 69 C......

So, to solve this, because I don't like having my fans running at 100% all the time, is too noisy, I want to lower the CPU temps by other means, I've tried to downclock my CPU basically and I've got the results I wanted in terms of temp, by using AMD Ryzen Master and by BIOS, but there is one problem. Doesn't matter if I use Ryzen Master or BIOS to reduce the frequency and voltage for my cpu, if I change the frequency by any value, the frequency then remains stuck at that value even in idle. Running at 4,5GHz in idle, seems pointless to me and I don't even know if that a good thing to have your CPU running constantly at that maximum speed you set it. I've watched Jaytwocents video about undervolting and underclocking and the only thing he mentioned about this, is that you should have your power plans in windows to balance, but mine already are and the frequency doesn't want to drop to anything lower than I set it. 

So is there a way to fix it? Can I only set the maximum CPU frequency that it can reach, for example I want to set it to reach max 4,5GHz (but not remain stuck at it, even in idle) so I can lower the voltage and thus getting lower temps?

63 Replies

I am 100% aware that setting my cpu as I did will keep it at about 3.8

I don't need it higher right now and I don't have time to fuss with a new cooling system ATM.

No where in my post did I say that it would boost set like that. I said it lowered the temps. As my priority is maintaining my cpu not creating extra speed I'm currently not using (to brag on forums or something? Idk)  while risking it overheating because it gets bloody hot where I live. 

If someone wants to use the boost clock they should likely be asking a different question i.e. how to do that and manage temp. 

Thanks for assuming I don't know what I'm talking about!

0 Likes

@Kitiarian 
Yeah, if your not gaming nor use the PC for programs with heavy loads keeping it down at default clocks is fine, maybe a bit overkill to use a 5800x for light tasks only.

If you set the max temperature you want via BIOS - PBO - Thermal Throttle Limit and set your power scheme to min 99% and max 100% you will be able to have it boost when needed without exceeding the set limit.
PPT 120, TDC 75 and EDC 110 lowers the overall watt usage, works quite well with the 5800X.

I upped my limit from 60C to 70C, but never really see it hit 70C with the new cooler, I did see higher temps with my NZXT 360, getting the cold plate moved into the right position helps a lot.
Liquid Freezer II 360 | Multi-Compatible AiO CPU Water Cooler | ARCTIC
Got this one as v3, Arctic did kindly send me the v4 mounting kit free of charge, since I couldn't offset mount it with the v3 kit.

For air, Noctua NH-D15 and be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 works well, those are way to big to fit into my case though.

0 Likes

Wow dude, really? If I'm not using my PC for what you think I should be at exactly the point I posted that I shouldn't be using my processor? How about don't interject unless you have something to add to a conversation that doesn't include being a gatekeeper and rude. 

No one needs your permission to have the parts they choose for a PC and your opinion on parts choice isn't relevant unless asked for. 

0 Likes

Rude? Forgot to take your chill pill or what's up?

0 Likes

Zen 3 (5000-series) do not have or need the special Ryzen power plan, per AMD.

thanks for answering, yeah i saw that but how do i lower my idle temp it's almost the same temp when on load... it's weird never seen a cpu at 55-60° when idle

- Mobo: Asus strix X570

- AIO: NZXT Z73

I got this from AMD:

Dear Calin,

Thank you for your patience.

We do have the situation under discussion and also have important information to work with you.

In fact, at the moment we need to understand the actual cause behind the issue, which points us to a sensor being misread, this caused to what seems the motherboard and with a possibility of an issue with the BIOS/AGESA used along. This last point, however, would need a close investigation on the issue, as a code bug, for instance, is expected to have different symptoms but, despite, we are keeping a close eye on the situation to ensure we are not missing any point here.

I changed my mobo to MSI Meg ace and I have 39 idle now

Sorry for my english

I got my 5800X one week ago. It replace my 2700x.

Is mounted on an Aorus B450 elite with bios f60, 32 Gb of 3000 DDR4 OC @ 3200 and an RTX 3080 Gigabyte.

The cooler is an NHU-12S with 2 brand new NF-A12 fans (the best fans from noctua at the moment)

The case is a Fractal Design Define R5 with 2*140 mm front + 1*140 rear + 1*120 bottom and 1*120 top. I've removed all HDD and optical bays case to maximize the airflow.

Idle temperature is fine : 33°C

However i get high temperature in load, doesn't care if it's only one thread or 16. It reached  82/84°C on Cinebench R23, less when using one thread.

Using eco mode and curve optimizer help a little but it can't go as low as a 5600x, even with 2 cores desactivated in bios. But with eco mode and only 6 cores activated  it's now a 5600x, so i should have the same temperature.

What is really strange for me is the cooler temperature. It still near to idle temperature and i can touch it with my finger : not hot, not warm, just 35°C or something like that. However even if it's an hotspot (1 CCD) that use 105W (140 peak) there is no other way than the heatsink to go for all this power. So where is my heat ? When i was using my 2700x also rated for 105 TDP, the heatsink was hot (around 50/55°C).

So, and what if these 5800x have a bad reported temperature and power consumption ? Any news about that ?

5800x is a bit overkill for your mobo's vrm, i wouldnt run anything above a 3700x on it. And about that temperature, well, i don't think the sensor is wrong.

5800X GEEKBENCH STOCK VS ECO MODE

COMPARISON ECO MODE.png

Makes sense, it only really needs more juice with lots of active cores and the 5800X only has 2 more than the 5600X. You wouldn't get that result on a 5900X or particularly 5950X.

What did you do? How did you set the eco mode? Does it affect FPS dramatically?

I didn't see much difference when applying eco mode (in AMD Ryzen Master / Advanced display), at least in games.

Eventually I solved the issue by changing my CPU FAN to a Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black. Average temp decreased by almost 10°C ! (I was coming from a Be Quiet Shadow Rock Slim which is supposed to support 160W TDP...). I never reach 80°C anymore, even playing long time Cyberpunk (which was the worst application regarding CPU temp for me).

My cooler is Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4 and got 91 degrees in Prime95/OCCT

0 Likes

Okay, what you need to do is simply undervolt the CPU while leaving everything else stock. Out of the box, many motherboard manufacturers pump up the power and voltage limits to get the max out of the CPU if there's headroom. While this is perfectly fine, if you're not comfortable with high temperatures of 90 C, simply undervolt it.

Reset your BIOS, turn on XMP, then go to the CPU voltage or vcore and lower it by .1 or .2. Play around with how much you can get away with before it becomes unstable. If you're unsure where to find the voltage setting, look up a video on your specific motherboard model.

0 Likes

Okay, what you need to do is simply undervolt the CPU while leaving everything else stock. Out of the box, many motherboard manufacturers pump up the power and voltage limits to get the max out of the CPU if there's headroom. While this is perfectly fine, if you're not comfortable with high temperatures of 90 C, simply undervolt it.

Reset your BIOS, turn on XMP, then go to the CPU voltage or vcore and lower it by .1 or .2. Play around with how much you can get away with before it becomes unstable. If you're unsure where to find the voltage setting, look up a video on your specific motherboard model.

I also wanted to add: several people here were having an issue where their CPUs were locked to a certain frequency or voltage. The reason this happens is because, when setting a manual voltage, the CPU will run at that fixed frequency. This is obviously not ideal since you want the CPU to downclock when it's idling.

Intel has had a feature where you could set a Voltage offset (v-core offset) which allows the CPU to boost itself up or down but just at a higher or lower voltage based on the amount set. Apparently, Ryzen didn't have this feature-- until recently! 

My Ryzen 7 5800x was also running quite hot at stock levels, even with Kraken x63. What I changed was the AMD equivalent of the v-core offset, along with the power allowance of the chip.

Here are two videos showing how to do this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfkrp25dpQ0

To undervolt using an offset, go into the BIOS, find "advanced CPU configuration," then "AMD overclocking." Set Precision Boost Overdrive to advanced, and turn off PBO limits. Then head into Curve Optimizer. This is the V-core offset. This number dictates by how many mV you want to undervolt or overvolt the CPU. Set it to negative (undervolt) and set the number to 30. This is the most optimistic result, but it might not be stable. Do some stress testing and see how high you can get the negative v-core offset.

The next video is about changing power limitations for the CPU. 

https://youtu.be/-m3V8gcflTU?t=420

Download the Ryzen Master application. Boot it up and go to advanced mode. Go into Profile 1, and choose Precision Boost Overdrive– or manual if you know what you’re doing. There you can adjust the peak voltage (the maximum voltage the CPU is permitted to draw), and power draw.

PPT is how much total power the CPU can consume, on mine I personally set this to 120 W. I believe stock it’s set to 142 W, which exceeds the 105 W TDP of the chip, and a big reason as to why the chip runs hot for many of us!

TDC and EDC is the amperage the motherboard is allowed to feed to the CPU for short and sustained loads.

TDC is amps for burst loads. I set mine to 105 A.

EDC is for sustained loads. I set mine to 85 A.

Important note: Ryzen Master can’t override settings in your BIOS, so for Ryzen Master settings to apply, settings in the BIOS must be set to “auto.”

Following these steps, hopefully you can have a cooler and quieter system. Or, if you so wish, a more powerful and hungry one.

Finally, I just want to stress that there is absolutely nothing wrong with how the CPU is out of the box. Precision Boost Overdrive is quite aggressive with voltage and power, but it’s within the safe parameters of the chip. Ryzen CPUs throttle themselves when they reach 90 C, which is within safe operating temperatures. However, if you’re someone like me who favors a quieter less power-hungry experience, you can absolutely tweak PBO to draw less voltage and power, while still turboing up considerably.

0 Likes

Here is what I went with since I couldn't be arsed to fine tune way to many settings.
I don't see any performance decrease in any game, rest of programs also run fine, so even if it dropped performance somewhere it doesn't really matter to me, just want low temps and my rad fans quiet when it boost up on the cores.

20210425_173552503_iOS.jpg

0 Likes

What motherboard do you have? Its in the Bios > advanced oc settings. Eco mode sets the cpu to be limited at 65w in PBO, and the drop in real performance will likely be the same as from 3800x to 3700x, something between 1% and 3%.

50 at idle isn't really that high on a modern cpu unless you have an insane cooler at a low ambient temperature and are still getting 50

0 Likes

@HardcoreUnderclocking  I've actually got it running at about 38-48 deg on average, at normal power, with just a Cooler Master Hyper 212 (though the case has full fans)

though 50+ isn't above the safe temp I prefer to keep mine low as temps where I live can get hot so it balances out better in the end

0 Likes

That's fair, I also live in a hot climate and while I cringe watching mine hit 79 degrees celcius on boost I know that it has to sit above 90 for quite a while to die.

0 Likes
gmontenegro3
Adept I

Just set it to ECO mode in the AMD BIOS overclocking settings, this will reduce your temperature by 10ºC and you will see a 3% drop in multi-core performance, but a 3% increase in single-core performance. obs.: im using Cpu Aircooler Scythe Fuma 2 in an ATX Airflow Case filled with 140mm silent fans and good quality thermal paste.

test.png

gmontenegro3_0-1611784945911.png

0 Likes
DRDOS
Adept III

Nice... One else thread about "high" temperatures on Ryzen 5xxx...
I bookmark/subscribe them all.

Wonder, what's a motherboard model OP used, isn't it by Gigabyte again...
Anyway, HWiNFO (thanks to @thansen56) was a big help for figuring it out what's going on there.
Some questions still remain though...

0 Likes