zcopy
Adept I

AMD Ryzen 7 5700G + MSI MPG B550 GAMING EDGE WIFI system does not boot

Dear people, good morning!

A customer of mine asked me to provide him with the following system:

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 5700G

M/B: MSI MPG B550 GAMING EDGE WIFI

RAM: CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB PRO SL DDR4 2 X 8GB 3200MHz

PSU: BEQUIET SYSTEM POWER 9 700W (80 plus Bronze)

CPU COOLER: BEQUIET PURE ROCK 2 FX (150W TDP)

SSD: SAMSUNG SSD 980 PRO (PCle 4.0 NVMe M.2

The story goes like this:

It has been over two months now that i have received the parts and assembled the Pc and i didn't manage to make it boot even once!!!! The moment you press the power button the Cpu debag led switces on on the motherboard and that's it!

I have tried everything!!! I have updated the M/b Bios (last updated to 7C91v1C version), tried another PSU, Ram , Motherboard (ASUS PRIME B450M-A II), checked the Amds compatibility list a thousand times to ensure all parts are compatible, switced to different monitors (HDMI and Display ports), installed a VGA,  to no avail.

As the furstration was building up i desided that there should be a hardware issue so at first i returned the MSI m/b back to the supplier, who after testing it (20 days!!!) verified it works fine with a same type CPU and return it back. Secondly using Amd's warranty procedures i returned the CPU straight to AMD. After aproximately 10 days, Amd verified that the Cpu was faulty and sent back a new one (same specs).

Yesterday i have installed the new Cpu (sure that the problem has been solved) only to get the cpu debag led back on again and be back to step one again!!!!!!!!!!

I am desperate and out of ideas. Please if anyone has delt with a similar problem, your advice will be helpfull and greately appreciated !

Thank you in advance!

13 Replies
Piccard
Adept I

Dear zcopy,

Try this.

First - check PSU cables. Then. Downgrade your bios / uefi version.

Download one of the older uefi from msi website

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MPG-B550-GAMING-EDGE-WIFI/support

-> 7C91v15 bios version, unzip, then paste it into a USB drive Formatted to FAT32. Change name of it to MSI.ROM

Turn off PC, unplug power cord.

Take off / unplug everything.

I mean - disassemble cpu,  gpu, ram, hdd, ssd, pci-card - whatever you have plug in to your motherboard.

Plug the USB Drive in to the USB port just below the Bios Button,

Turn on the PSU
Wait about 2 minutes before next step just in case there is a power on and off cycle when you turn on the PSU
Push the FlashBack button and then release it,
About 5 seconds later a led just above the USB port will start to flash, after 15 seconds of so the speed of the flashing light will double this is the writing to the BIOS period.
Once done writing to the it will stop flashing and PSU will turn off
Give it around 10 minutes.

It is very similar way of flashing without cpu like on this youtube movie (not mine) -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcDxq0-edAI

Edit. Take a photos of reassembly. Put it here. Motherboard without cpu, and with cpu assembled.

Have you try'd to check everything outside the chassis ?

0 Likes

GPU, what type? 

0 Likes

Good morning!

Thank you for your reply and I am sorry I did not reply for a while, I was on a bussines trip!

I have tried everything you adviced, to no avail!!!!!!

In regard to Bios update, it is similar to what you described with the difference that the red led switches off in around 8 minutes and the Psu does not switches off by itself, I have to do that! (I have let it for around 30 minutes and the only thing it does is the Motherboard lights keep flashing)

I have tried the Bios version you suggested as well as Version 7C91v17 which is what MSI provides in the processor compatibility list for this processor in her site!

Discussing the problem with a fellow technician, he volenteered to test the Motherboard with an Amd 3600 cpu and it works fine!!!!!!! So the Cpu is working, the Motherboard is working but the two off them dont work together. I have checked once again the compatibility lists of both Amd and MSI but i could not find any indication that they are not compatible!!!

I have spent 2 months now trying to make a new (and costly) pc to work and i am quite disapointed. I thing the next step will be to throw them both in the garbage and be done with it and of course never to have anything to do with Amd or Msi again!!!!

I have taken pictures and a video so i have posted them here.

Any ideas or suggestions will be greately appriciated!

Thank you in advance, best regards.

0 Likes
kheper
Adept II

"CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB PRO SL DDR4 2 X 8GB 3200MHz"

(1) Make sure that the RAM sticks are placed in the correct slots.

If so -

(2) Remove one stick and boot off of it. (Refer to the manual to locate the correct slot for operating on one stick.)

Your videos are not viewable.

Ryzen 5 Pro 4650g, ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4/ac, 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3600MHz, SAMSUNG 970 EVO NVMe 500GB, Super Flower Leadex III Gold 850W
0 Likes

Thank you for your prompt reply!

I have checked and double checked the compatibility of the memory modules as well as installed them acording to the manual to slots DIMMA2 & DIMMB2. I have tested them together and each on alone, in both slots with no result. The same memory modules with the same new Cpu on the Asus Prime B450M-A II motherboard work just fine!!!!!

The videos are still awaiting for approval (what ever that means!)

Thank you in advance, best regards. 

0 Likes

The only hardware left is the power supply. Do you have access to a known-to-work power supply?

Ryzen 5 Pro 4650g, ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4/ac, 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3600MHz, SAMSUNG 970 EVO NVMe 500GB, Super Flower Leadex III Gold 850W
0 Likes

Thank you for your reply!

I have tested not one but two other Psu Innovator SL-X650EPS, which i had available and the result is the same. Again they both work just fine with the Cpu and the Asus Motherboard mentioned above!

0 Likes
BigAl01
Volunteer Moderator

You cannot test a CPU / motherboard operation with no CPU cooler installed (you need the CPU fan header to be driving a fan) and with no RAM installed.  The video's work but they show these items missing.  Your system should get past the CPU error light on the motherboard with the CPU installed, the CPU cooler installed and the RAM installed.

As Albert Einstein said, "I could have done so much more with a Big Al's Computer!".
0 Likes
kheper
Adept II

The only thing that I can think of is a grounding issue. A part of the motherboard may be making contact with the case.  

Find an ant-static mat. Remove the motherboard from the case and place it on the mat. Make sure that the CPU and memory are installed on the motherboard. Hook up the monitor and the power supply. Short the POWER SW pins on the motherboard with a pair of tweezers (Be careful). See if it POSTs.

Per BigA|01's suggestion: Make sure that the CPU cooler is installed before ever attempting to POST.

Okay i had a similar setup for friend with a 6900xt- Had to increase Power supply wattage. I had to put 850w in it. I did the math , and you want some available capacity- Since you didnt say what GPU using. lets assume you are using a 3080 and want it to preform well you probably need 850w. See this article.

https://thewiredshopper.com/what-power-supply-do-i-need-for-rtx-3080/

0 Likes

He is using the AMD Ryzen 7 5700G - an APU. The 5700g contains on-chip video. His 700W PSU should be sufficient to power his hardware.  

Attention to detail. Oops, thanks

0 Likes
Piccard
Adept I

Dear zcopy,

Apparently, there is some issue with yours movies approval, so please , take some photos and upload them like on image hosting services -> one of them ->  https://postimages.org/ 

Then, you can give us link here to that gallery.

Do not include photos with personal data!

Also.

Disconnect nvme. Insert only 1 ! memory stick (for now). Ask nicely  your friendly technician for another favor and  borrow from him normal  gpu for pci-e. Insert into pci-e slot on motherboard. Connect displayport cable to it. Turn on PC.

Regarding PSU - it is very often a problem with corect connection and correct cables PSU-Motherboard. Especially extra cables for psu-cpu connection. 

edge b550.JPG

0 Likes