cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

TRS-80
Adept I

AMD Ryzen 7 3800X running hot due to Wraith Prism cooler seating surface NOT machined flat

Hello All,

New to the forum here and this is my first posting. So here goes....

I just purchased and assembled a Ryzen 7 3800X, the included prism cooler, MSI X570 gaming edge, memory, etc..

Everything seemed to go off without any issues. Installed Win10 Pro and was off and running.  Then I noticed the cpu temps just seemed to run high when loading (80-90) at 70-100% loading and seemed to want to creep upward. The cooler came with thermal compound pre-applied and looked fine out of the box, but I did notice the clear plastic tray cup on the bottom for shipping was pretty destroyed / broken. Don't understand how that happened since the heat compound wasn't smeared and the outer box was perfect. I verified the cooler was latched in properly and wasn't loose (has the lever / clip on latch type so really hard to mess up seating it in place). After going round and round checking everything else I decided to just remove the prism cooler because everything else seemed to be checking out ok. Pulled the prism cooler and immediately saw that the compound didn't get "squished" on about 1/3 of the cpu/heatsink surface toward the side closest to the back of the PC. 

There was nothing caught or trapped between the heatsink and cpu surface to prevent seating and it was latched in correctly.  Using a strait edge I verified my suspicion that the heat sink surface was defective (not flat) and I was correct. Very, very disappointing indeed. The gap matched exactly where the dots of compound didn't get compressed to the surface of the cpu.

Not exactly sure how or if there is even a way for me to get a replacement under warranty for just the wraith prism cooler, so for now I bought and installed an aftermarket cooler that is working well, but I wanted to raise the issue here so that others would be aware.

Thanks.

0 Likes
11 Replies