Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

neshaky
Journeyman III

AMD Ryzen 7 3750h frames drops due to throttling in games

Hi all,

I just bought ROG Zephyrus G GA502 using AMD Ryzen 7 3750H. Laptop came without OS installed. After signalling Windows 10 and all drivers I am experiencing frame drops in games.

I tried lowering the settings below what NVIDIA GeForece experience suggested but I still get the same issue. the game looks fine and runs fine for firs couple of minutes and the frame rate is decent but then it suddenly starts dropping from 60+ to less then 10 FPS. Games a I tested were COD BO4 and Warthunder. It the same issue with both games but BO4 is harder to play. I moved over from an older i5 and 750ti to this laptop hoping to have better gaming experience.

After some investigation I noticed that CPU temp goes up to 95 degrees C after which CPU clock speed drops down to 400 MHz.

I tired to reinstall windows and all drivers, and to limit Max CPU usage in Windows power settings but I still get the same results. I have run an Aida 64 stress test and I am not able to see the same thing happening.

I am attaching SC of both in game numbers (green MSI graph) and Aida 64 graph (White graph). Fore some reason CPU temp is displayed as CPU1 temp on the graphs
Click image for larger version.

Please tell me if there is something I can do a bout this.

Than you in advanced.

0 Likes
13 Replies
squilliam
Adept I

This is a flaw in the BIOS design of this laptop. I’m on RMA #2 for this exact issue, with no fix in sight. Return it if you can. ASAP.

0 Likes
neshaky
Journeyman III

Will try today, I was offered to send my device to diagnostic, have you tried that?  

0 Likes

This is a faulty device design. The have to fix the BIOS. No amount of diagnostic will fix it. The better solution is to return the laptop.

0 Likes

Asus laptops have a reputation of overheating. Alienware and MSI are less prone but gaming laptops are not the platform of choice for Halo etc

0 Likes

Reputation means nothing in this instance. The issue has nothing to do with heat.

0 Likes

squilliam wrote:

Reputation means nothing in this instance. The issue has nothing to do with heat.

many with warm gaming laptops have resorted to stands with some fans in them to cool the machine

I use Lenovo which seem to be more thermally stable 

0 Likes
animakozak
Journeyman III

Hey. Same laptop. Same configuration (DOS). Same issue.
I did a lot of things:

• Nvidia drivers,
  • installed all the missing Asus software, including Armory Crate,
  • updated BIOS to 208,
  • chipset drivers (at this point it got a bit better),
  • enabled V-sync,
  • set in power management 99% CPU min/max usage
  • and forced Nvidia card to be used with application.

I am no longer sure, which one did the trick (I suspect the last one; I'd recommend on installing Asus drivers too, as you get a handy control over fans), but no more throttling on highest settings in, say, Star Wars Battlefront II. I'd argue the temperature is no longer that high too. The CPU usage is adequate in SWBII: around 65%, no spikes, no FPS lags.

So maybe try the last two settings. Maybe all of them. I am just happy it finally got over itself.

0 Likes
neshaky
Journeyman III

What is your max clock after doing this? 

0 Likes

Well, I have same problem with a AMD A12 9700P. 

0 Likes

sergioestanque wrote:

Well, I have same problem with a AMD A12 9700P. 

check for chipset drivers from AMD.COM

0 Likes

Its a Laptop. 

There's not chipset drivers for this processor, only Raddon Software Drivers. 

Also i sended to ASUS Tech Support.

0 Likes

if there is no chipset drivers on the asus support site then they are likely posted on windows update

0 Likes

Well, the problem happend in October. 

Not Windows Update Problem. 

There's ChipSet Drivers, but from april. 

0 Likes