cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

raptor_09
Journeyman III

Amd Ryzen 7 3700X Heating Issue

I have just Bought Ryzen 7 3700X for my new PC. When I powerup the Pc , cpu is always sat between 55-60c when idle/just on desktop. If i put Any workload It reaches upto 78-80ish Celsius.Once I noticed  Max 81c.[Tested in Msi Afterburner]

One more thing, My CPU is running at above 1.2v at idle With Game Boost turned off.

--Is this normal for 3700x or I should Undervolt it?? Is it worth it to Undervolt? I want to Undervolt my pc to keep                temperature low & Low volt.

--Any Recommended Undervolting Guide for 3700x would be appreciated.

System Specs:

• Motherboard: Msi B450 Tomahawk Max
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x
  • PSU: Gigabyte p550b power supply
  • System Memory8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200
  • GPU  Msi Gt710
  • Cooler Box Cooler(Wraith Prism)

Thanks in advance for your help!

0 Likes
4 Replies

The idle does sound a little bit warmer then usual but overall under heavy loads for the Prism it sounds normal as long as it doesn't go above 85C, in my opinion.

Also the Prism has a switch on the body to make it more aggressive in cooling. The switch can be changed from quiet to performance. It is a tiny black switch on the Prism body.

If it is on quiet then flip it to performance and see if the Temps at idle are better.

Also you can try and set a CPU Fan profile MSI Afterburner or whatever program you have that can change the CPU Fan's settings to be more aggressive.

The 3700X Maximum Operating Temperature is 95C so anything below 85C is good.

95C is the maximum threshold temperature where the processor automatically starts to throttle to keep the temperature at 95C or below.

In BIOS you can disable PBO or any type of BIOS Setting that over clocks the Processor automatically.

CPU temps are affected by Ambient Room Temperatures, Air flow inside the Computer case, Dirty fans or CPU Cooler, proper installation of the CPU Cooler, amount of Thermal Paste applied, etc.

I have the same processor but instead of using the AMD Prism I am using a Cooler Master Hyper212 EVO with a Push/Pull configuration. One of the fans I replaced with a very high Volume fan (5000 RPM) which keeps my processor below 60C under normal computer use.

Under CPU Stress test the temps fluctuates between 72C and 74C but stays mainly around 72C. Also I haven't cleaned the CPU Cooler in a while. If I did the temps will probably be around 70C -72C.

For me, the 3700X fluctuates constantly between 45C and 60C but never goes above 60C under idle and loads conditions. I have many programs running in the background which causes the constant fluctuations.

Plus I keep my Ambient Room temperature around 79F and 80F. 

0 Likes

I want to Undervolt My Processor.Any Recommended Guide or video would be appreciated.I googled it but didnt find any appropriate Guide which i can follow

0 Likes
vialli100
Forerunner

I got a Lian Li Galahad 240mm AIO for 3700X and sits at 35 - 40c depending ambient temp..

Very rare for it to go over 60c..

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6700 XT, Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus, 32gb G.Skill TZ neo 3600mhz, Samsung 980pro 1tb NVME, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb NVME, Lian Li Galahad AIO 240mm, Antec Titanium 1kw.
0 Likes
das_ryte
Journeyman III

Hope you found a solution already. If you did not, you have to adjust the power options in windows, minimum proc. state from 95% to 5% and max 100%. That fixed the idle temps for me. For heavy loads you need a aftermarket cooler, stock one is subpar. Overall really poor job by AMD at optimizing this proc. To have it running nicely you have to curb the PBO or disable it and  lower the voltage slightly  then overclock all cores to 4.3 or 4.4Ghz

0 Likes