cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

EWQ
Journeyman III

AMD Ryzen 7 1700 not supported for Windows 11 upgrade

Wondering why Ryzen 7 1700 is not approved for the Windows 11 upgrade. All system requirements are green for upgrade except for the processor. If and when will this be addressed?

8 Replies

Hello,

AMD produced your processor solution, but Windows is done by Microsoft thus only they can provide an answer to your query.

X570 Taichi, Ryzen 3600XT, 32G of F4-3400C16D-16GSXW, XFX RX5700, NH-D15 Chromemax.black, Fractal Design R5, SilentWings 3 case fans, Intel 660P M.2 1T, WDS256G1X0C M.2 256G

Thanks for the response

The 1st generation of Ryzen processors are approved for all of the newest Win versions up to Win 11

and

I understand Microsoft owns Windows, however processor manufacturers have to follow Microsoft's guidelines in order to be approved for their operating systems. It appears that all of the later Ryzen processors are approved for the Win 11 upgrade except the first generation of processors. As one of many thousands of owners of one of those processors, who would like to upgrade to Win 11, and understanding that AMD is aware of Microsoft's criteria for approval to run their OS, my question for AMD still stands unanswered. All of the processor's capabilities exceed minimum requirements so the lack of approval is not based on the functionality of the processor but maybe some contractual or other legal hoo-ha that AMD needs to work out with Microsoft . So I guess my actual question to AMD is 4 parts: 1)  Are you aware of the issue? :2) Is someone addressing it? :3) Is there a solution in the works? :4) If not, why not? If so, when? I think this is less a technical question and more a contractual one but I'm not sure who in AMD is the best to answer this.

Microsoft sets the rules for Windows 11,not AMD.

Hello,

Be aware that historically newly released Windows version are never implemented upon release as there are always issue's that need to be resolved, thus most enterprise businesses will deploy them initially. Here on this platform one can see a number of reasons why not to upgrade to Windows 11. Also note that there are enthusiasts whom have experience that will play with the new version, but not on a system that they are doing real business on should an issue occur that could effectively cost them revenue as they will have an alternate machine to do so. I am providing you link below in the underlined linked text for your reading. Please do not take offense as I am merely attempting to assist you as I do not believe that there is no short form answer that I can provide. I will state that I held off until the the Ryzen 2xxx series was released which I used a ASRock B450M Steel Legend motherboard which will be used in my girlfriends PC which she uses for business, and that I cannot watch her do video editing on a i3 based machine which she does on an occasion.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/compatibility/whcp-specifications-policiesc... 

Please feel free to watch the video content that's covered by JayzTwoCents on YouTube @ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mg5xJtmCZbI 

In fact PCWorld has an article @ https://www.pcworld.com/article/539183/windows-11-review-an-unnecessary-replacement-for-windows-10.h... 

X570 Taichi, Ryzen 3600XT, 32G of F4-3400C16D-16GSXW, XFX RX5700, NH-D15 Chromemax.black, Fractal Design R5, SilentWings 3 case fans, Intel 660P M.2 1T, WDS256G1X0C M.2 256G
0 Likes
vialli100
Forerunner

Same CPU I had, so I updated CPU and motherboard..

AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, Asus Tuf Gaming RX 6700 XT, Asus TUF Gaming x570 Plus, 32gb G.Skill TZ neo 3600mhz, Samsung 980pro 1tb NVME, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb NVME, Lian Li Galahad AIO 240mm, Antec Titanium 1kw.
0 Likes
hrpuffnstuff
Miniboss

Time for you to go shopping.  My mom was in the same predicament so I gave her my old 3900X and now she's on 11.

0 Likes
Draggem
Journeyman III

You can upgrade to Windows 11 with Ryzen 7 1700.

Go to settings, Windows Update, Windows Insider Program. Then get preview builds. 

I have been running win 11 on my Ryzen 1700. Windows alerts me that there might be bugs but I never encountered one. 

It's worth a try, its a nice OS I reckon.

nocon1970
Journeyman III

Thank you for this post, big help, Using the same Ryzen, and far less risky them some of the suggestions, Worked 1st time no problem.

0 Likes