cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Samarin
Adept I

AMD Ryzen 5000x and spontaneous reboots

Hello. I am a programmer. And I tried everything that could fix my problem. But, in the end, nothing helped. I am very disappointed with AMD.

When the PBO function is enabled in the BIOS, the computer spontaneously reboots, usually when it is idle. I've tried in Windows. Tried it on Linux. I changed the voltage, optimized the BIOS settings and tried all its versions. Even changed the power supply, motherboard and RAM. The computer will reboot spontaneously anyway. And this problem has affected all AMD Ryzen 5000x processors.

Say, AMD, are you going to recall thousands of Rysen 5000x processors, or will you release the AGESA patch that will correct the current situation ?! When will you decide this? Thank you, AMD.

AMD Ryzen 5950x / ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero / 64 Gb. Crucial Ballistix Max CL16 / GeForce RTX 3090

Respectfully
11 Replies
Mozart
Adept I

You should try and rma that cpu ASAP but you could try and disable PBO first and see if it helps

Thanks you. Of course, with the PBO disabled, the processor runs smoothly and without system reboots. Even when setting the multiplier manually, the processor continues to work. But, when you turn on PBO, everything ends with random reboots. All buyers who have paid big bucks for the AMD Rysen 5950x want it to work right. Thanks you!

Respectfully

I own the 5900cpu and 6900xt cpu and this is the only thing that have made my computer stable.
( it crashes in all games if i dont do this )

Go into bios and factory reset everytning back to factory default.
turn on advanced mode ( f2 )
Find   CpuVcore
Change Auto to 1,375volt

This have made it possible for me to play games.
But ofcourse this is not how a brand new hardware is supposed to work.. 
I have had problems for 3 month with the above until i manual change the voltage, and to be honest i dont know if its the cpu or gpu that is defective or if its the drivers.
But clearly any costomer would expect that their new hardware can run on factory default and auto, but mine does not.
Since its impossible to get a new cpu and gpu I cant RMA my hardware yet and who know maybe an update fix it, but so far waited 3 month and no updates have solved my problems.
THere are tons of people talking about their own problems.. some talk about turning off C-state, some talk about giving their ram a little extra voltage / manualy.
And some offset the voltage to the cpu a bit ( what ever that means. )
Well i dont know except changing the cpu vcore voltage that work for me so far.

Thanks you! As practice has shown, no changes with tension do not change the situation. You can change the SOC, you can change the VDDP, so I tried all possible changes in voltages. But, nothing solved the problem: with the PBO enabled, the processor reboots the system (code 41 in Windows or ERR_KERNEL_POWER_STOP in Linux). There is only one way out: turn off the PBO acceleration in BIOS, and now the processor is stable, regardless of the voltage setting. But, in the case of disabled PBO, the processor loses at least 30% in performance, because now it always works at a constant multiplier 34, this is not enough! Of course, new technology shouldn't work that way. My processor, as well as yours, is still under warranty, and I'm really looking forward to a fix from AMD, so as not to be completely disappointed in AMD. Thanks you!

Respectfully

I am having a similar problem with my x570 5800x system, I crash during gaming sessions, i also get some crashes when the pc went into sleep mode. I really hope they can fix this via a bios update, its infuriating. 

The Crash is Kernel Power  event type 41 - Task 63 

BugcheckCode 270
BugcheckParameter1 0x36
BugcheckParameter2 0xffffe183439781c0
BugcheckParameter3 0xffff9d85197761d8
BugcheckParameter4 0xffff9d851d92d1f0
SleepInProgress 0
PowerButtonTimestamp 0
BootAppStatus 0
Checkpoint 0
ConnectedStandbyInProgress false
SystemSleepTransitionsToOn 1
CsEntryScenarioInstanceId 0
BugcheckInfoFromEFI false
CheckpointStatus 0
CsEntryScenarioInstanceIdV2 0
LongPowerButtonPressDetected false
0 Likes
ajlueke
Grandmaster

So I would start by turning on PBO, but setting the PPT, TDC, and EDC at the normal CPU levels under "AMD Overclocking".  PPT = 144W, TDC = 90A, EDC = 140A.

When you enable PBO by default it will set those values to the max your motherboard supports, which most users will never even remotely reach with desktop cooling.  The Ryzen 9 5950X does recommend liquid cooling, and you will definitely need it if employing PBO.

With the setup above, run something like Cinebench R23 Multicore and monitor your temps in Ryzen Master.  If you maintain under 70C in the test it is probably safe to go higher.  But make sure the desktop reboot issue isn't occurring.  If that is the case, raise the PPT to something like 200W.  Run your test again.  You shouldn't see much difference as the CPU will still be held up by the 90A allowed by the TDC.

Now slowly raise the TDC and EDC until the system becomes unstable again or the CPU just gets too hot.  Those are the settings you should use for PBO moving forward.  You can further tweak performance using the "Curve optimizer" function from here on out.

So would i be using ryzen master to enter those values or do it directly into the advanced bios? 
I have a 240mm AIO so i should be ok with any extra heat, i did a while back run ctr 2.0 and get some values from that i just never got around to implementing them. 

Just ran ctr diagnostics again and got these results:

DIAGNOSTIC RESULTS
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core Processor
CPU VID: 1085
CPU TEL: 1056
Max temperature: 65°
Energy efficient: 4.14
Your CPU is GOLDEN SAMPLE
Recomended values for overclocking (P1 profile):
Reference voltage: 1250 mV
Reference frequency: 4600 MHz
Recomended values for overclocking (P2 profile):
Reference voltage: 1325 mV
Reference frequency: 4700 MHz
Recomended values for undervolting:
Reference voltage: 1125 mV
Reference frequency: 4350 MHz

0 Likes

Hello,

I would enter the values directly into the UEFI.  Start with the default values as I mentioned, and use Ryzen master to observe your temps during a benchmark run.  Then slowly raise the values until things either get unstable or the temps are as high as you'd like them to be.

0 Likes
Samarin
Adept I

Thank you all for your answers, friends! Guys, I reinstalled Windows from scratch and the problem of random restarts disappeared. It's just incredibly weird. Does not reboot with any BIOS settings.
Respectfully
dmitry-zhbankov
Journeyman III

I've managed to resolve the issue by uninstalling old chipset drivers and installing new ones. Old chipset drivers had built-in power plans. Maybe it has something to do with it.

My motherboard is MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI. I used Ryzen 3600 previously before I bought Ryzen 5950x. 

From now on I don't experience random reboots even with PBO enabled.

Maybe it'll help somebody as well.

0 Likes

I have similar issue since I build my PC. It start to reboot in 1 to 5 weeks after fresh PC reinstall. Once it starts I cant get rid of theese random WHEa reboots until i reset bios thru removing cmos batery and complete reinstal of windows 10. Than it works for several weeks(1-6) and issue appear again. Than I reset bios, reinstal windows, etc.

0 Likes