cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

AMD Ryzen 5 5600G Dead on Arrival

Both MSI B550 Tomahawk and X570 Gaming Plus motherboards (latest bios flashed) lights up Red LED on EZ Debug LED for AMD Ryzen5 5600G. Using MSI MPG A650GF 650W 80 Plus Gold Gaming Power Supply. After not working in either of these motherboards I inspected the cpu if there is a damage to the ping but what I found is a huge bulge under the CPU! What the heck? How did this CPU pass quality check?! It was sent to the distributer by the shop I bought from. Don't know how long will it take to get refund or replacement. 

2board.jfif6c36d78d-4f96-4cec-90ed-bea99adbb64b (1).jfif5052cc64-1abe-11ec-8c26-005056911af3.jpg

1 Solution

definitely damaged Processor.  The bulge might be preventing the processor's pins from making good contact on the motherboard socket.

Looks like something is glued to the back of the processor is that really a large bulge?

If the processor came in a Official AMD Retail SEALED box then you qualify for the 3 year AMD Warranty as soon as the Retailer/Vendors Return date or Warranty expires.

If the processor didn't come inside an official AMD sealed Retail box then the Retailer or vendor is responsible for the warranty on the processor not AMD.

In this case the shop where you purchased the processor.

Here is where you can open a AMD Warranty: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/warranty-information/rma-form

View solution in original post

6 Replies

definitely damaged Processor.  The bulge might be preventing the processor's pins from making good contact on the motherboard socket.

Looks like something is glued to the back of the processor is that really a large bulge?

If the processor came in a Official AMD Retail SEALED box then you qualify for the 3 year AMD Warranty as soon as the Retailer/Vendors Return date or Warranty expires.

If the processor didn't come inside an official AMD sealed Retail box then the Retailer or vendor is responsible for the warranty on the processor not AMD.

In this case the shop where you purchased the processor.

Here is where you can open a AMD Warranty: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/warranty-information/rma-form

It came in a AMD sealed Retail box. Even with the large bulge, the cpu sits in socket perfectly. If it did not sit in properly, I would relaized the bulge earlier. I tried to run in two different boards but as it did not pass the EZ Debug phase of  MSI motherboards, I decided to inspect the pins. The pins are perfectly fine. Then after, I relaized something is wrong with the bottom side as there should not be a bulge. My previous generation AMD processors don't have a bulge, so neither should this one have.  It may take up to 20 working day in my country to get a replacement. It's a very long time to wait.

Found this Reddit thread about his processor also not booting and finding a small bulge on the surface of the processor: https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/k7bmri/pc_wont_boot_noticed_creasebulge_on_cpu/

Screenshot 2021-09-21 175910.png

It isn't as pronounced as your is though but the same results. Computer wouldn't boot up.

Looks like the same thing but a lot smaller. I don't know the condition of my motherboards. Hope, the two boards are not bricked. Still waiting for RMA response. 

I received a new boxed Ryzen cpu. First thing is to check the bottom side of cpu, everything is OK. System booted just fine after installing the cpu. OS is up and running. I run a few bechmarks and no problem so far. 

Great, you received the replacement fairly quickly.

At least in your case it was easy to find the problem with your computer not booting up.

Take care.