cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

rikistein
Journeyman III

AMD Ryzen 5 2600x idle temp sitting at 40c, spikes to 50c

Hi I built this PC approximately year and a half ago, it runs perfectly and at the start when I just built it my idle temps were around 35-40c which I didn't realize was unusual. Today i was helping my friend troubleshoot his GPU since he's suspecting that its dying, so i checked my own CPU and GPU temps and realized that 40c idle is not really normal and it also spikes to 50c+.

My PC specs:

AMD Ryzen 5 2600x with a Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition

HyperX Predator 2x8GB @3200MHz RAM

Nvidia GTX 1660

2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

EVGA 600W GQ PSU

All the fan curves on the CPU fan are stock and untouched.

Here's a screenshot of CPUID HWMonitor:

CPUID HWMonitor screenshot.JPG

Capture.JPG

Apps that I have running in the background are Firefox, Discord, Spotify, Steam, Nvidia Settings and iCue.

0 Likes
6 Replies
mccharle
Elite

Hello rikistein,

38-40°C in IDLE that's not a bad thing, it's common case.

58°C with all cores running it's also a good thing.

Are expecting much lesser values ?

What is your power scheme settings on Windows 10 ?

0 Likes

Im expecting a little less and im not expecting it to spike up to 58°C while idling and doing absolutely nothing, I ran the CPUID HWMonitor yesterday while gaming and the max I got was 65°C which I think its good?

And here's my power scheme I think this is it:

power scheme.JPG

0 Likes

65C is well within the expected operating temperatures

I use a Wraith RGB cooler on my R5 3600 with MX-4 and it idles near 35C and rarely gets above 47C.

0 Likes

Windows never totally idle, in background there most service working like update, virus scan....

When you see a spike, do ALT+CTRL+DEL and check cpu activity and software/service activity, you will find why.

Have a nice day.

0 Likes
Cypher_Xero
Journeyman III

you can make adjustments and track your Ryzen better with a program called "AMD Ryzen Master"

and its much better for monitoring than windows tools.

Link here:

https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/ryzen-master

0 Likes
endorzan
Journeyman III

my highest temperature with that cpy is 69c and when im playing average is 50-60c

0 Likes