cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

blakegriplingph
Adept I

Re: AMD Ryzen 5 2500U locked to 400MHz on battery

I am having a similar issue as well. On certain occasions whenever I boot up the CPU gets capped to 15% usage at a near-constant 300MHz. I've already updated the BIOS to the latest available version, and everything appears to be up to date as far as drivers are concerned. My device is an HP 14-cm0072au with a Ryzen 3 2200U. However if I restart the device the clocks go back to normal.

rickyxds
Adept I

First of all, thanks for you explain exactly my laptop issue, I'm brazilian and I couldn't explain Very well.

But I have the same issue, and I need a solution to this problem, I pay a lot of money to can't use my laptop

blakegriplingph
Adept I

Now I was thinking... If this has nothing to do with thermals, could this be due to bad microcode or some BIOS problem?

0 Likes
rickyxds
Adept I

To answers this question you could try a way that """""Works""""""" to me.

Go to msconfig > Boot > Boot Options > Safe Boot > then check minimal.

Restart and to me the "problems was solve" but without any windows resorce.

I install Linux, because I think windows was cause the problem. In Linux I have the same issue, but in different way.

On windows the CPU stuck in 18% of utilization and in 400 mhz and no matter what you do, the cpu doesn't pass from this

In Linux the CPU stuck in 400 mhz, BUT IN LINUX YOU CAN GET 100% OF UTILIZATION and the laptop get better than in windows, but the performance continues poor

I don't understand why...

If this is help please share with us your result

0 Likes
misterj
Exemplar

I have two questions for all of you.  As you should know most who try to help here are not AMD employees and cannot speak for AMD.  I cannot speak for AMD.

Has any of you opened an AMD Online Support Request Ticket and asked about this issue?  I suggest all of you do just that.  Have any of you tried different Power Plans?  The plan that is installed with AMD chip set drivers is Ryzen Balanced and pushes performance.  I suggest you try a less aggressive plan offered by Windows.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes
cspiby
Adept I

It's nothing to do with Windows power plans, it's in the firmware.

I'm told that HP are currently working on a solution for my laptop model.

blakegriplingph
Adept I

And I presume there will be a firmware update for the HP 14-cm0072au and other cm00xx models as well, yes?

0 Likes
cspiby
Adept I

I honestly don't know whether HP know how widespread of an issue it is, head over to the HP support forum and reply to the thread titled "CPU throttled to 0.38ghz after Sleep/Hibernate"

jozan
Adept I

Yea, after a lot of experimenting around, I'm convinced it's a firmware issue and it's something related to switching between battery/power supply. I have tried switching between all the different Windows power configurations as well as setting a bunch of custom settings (including min / max CPU speeds etc) and they don't have any impact. The only solution is to either reboot the machine or plug in the power.

In the past week I updated the laptop to Windows 1809 and installed the latest AMD drivers but the same CPU issue is there. HP did finally release a BIOS update in Dec. that fixed another long standing issue with the laptop, which is that if it came out of sleep mode the Intel wireless card would start spewing errors in the event log and then turn on/off every few seconds (I had to switch the laptop to hibernate only to work around this). So maybe there's hope that this other issue will get addressed. I've opened support issues with HP but it is mostly an effort in futility.

0 Likes
cspiby
Adept I

I have linked the technician to this topic just to make them aware other models are affected.

0 Likes