Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

misu
Journeyman III

AMD Ryzen 5 2400G clock_watchdog_timeout error

Hi everyone,

I experience some problems with a brand new PC based on Ryzen 5 2400G CPU. This is my configuration:

- Mainboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (BIOS upgraded from version F1 to F3d)

- CPU AMD Ryzen 5 2400G with AMD Vega video

- Memory: Kingston 2 x 4 GB DDR4 2666 Mhz

- System drive: Kingston UV500 SSD, 240 GB (M.2 socket)

- Storage drive: Seagate Barracuda Guardian 1 TB HDD, SATA3

- ODD: LG DVD-RW (SATA)

I upgaded mainboard BIOS to the latest version, I tried different settings in BIOS (some of them recommended on this forum).

Memory was tested with MemTest 86 many times. No errors.

I installed Windows 10 (4-5 times) and different versions of chipset driver (including the driver from mainboard CD and the latest stable version) and I want to install Windows updates.

The computer randomly freeze (is necessary to push "Reset" button) or display BSoD with "clock_watchdog_timeout" error message and reset.

According to Microsoft, the problem might occur due to any hardware issues, but especially due to CPU cores / threads issues:

"This problem might occur due to any hardware issues. The CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT error means that your processor is having trouble with cooperation from its cores and threads. Threads are tasks taken by cores, and some cores can take many threads simultaneously. The problem here is that a thread is waiting for a proper response from another thread — or a core is waiting for a response from another core — and those responses aren’t coming.

Therefore, you get this BSoD error. While this is a processor problem, this can be caused by two things: a driver error, which is very likely if you’re using Windows 10, or the OS itself isn’t playing nice with the processor."

How how can I convince the OS to "play nice with the processor"?

The processor can be damaged? There is a compatibility issue?

There is somebody with a good idea about this problem?

0 Likes
5 Replies
speedphlux
Adept I

I think I've had similar issues with my 2400G initially. Turns out, there is a specific order of installing things, once you have Win10 installed. I advise you to take a flash drive or something, download everything you'll need on it and then unplug the internet cable.

You start off with the B450 Chipset drivers from AMD. Then you use a program like DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) - reboot your PC into Safe Mode and remove all ATI/AMD drivers. Then reboot back to normal mode and install the latest Radeon Drivers from AMD. Once you're done with those two in that order, you can plug back your internet and let Windows update itself. That sorted the initial BSODs for me.

0 Likes
misterj
Big Boss

misu, what version of Windows are you running?  I suggest you install W10 1809.  Please go to the MS site (Google "W10 media Creation").  You can DL the latest copy directly onto a USB stick that is ready to install.  Be SURE to get your AMD drivers from the AMD Driver Download site.  Another user here reported the "clock_watchdog_timeout" error.  Please find the thread and read it.  The user said W10 updates corrected the problem.  Enjoy, John.

0 Likes
misu
Journeyman III

Hi everyone,

I m back (maybe too late) with a solution for this.

Finally result was OK, but how was it solved:

1. I sent the first processor back to my supplier. AMD service center of my supplier told me the processor is broken and they changed CPU with another one.

2. After new CPU was installed, I tried to reinstall Win10 (older versions + upgrades) with ... the same result.

Finally I downloaded the latest build of Win 10 and ... it works.

(My) conclusion: this CPU was (probably) made for the last version of Win 10.

So, if you use new CPUs from this family, use the latest build of Windows 10.

Regards,

Misu

misu wrote:

Hi everyone,

I experience some problems with a brand new PC based on Ryzen 5 2400G CPU. This is my configuration:

- Mainboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (BIOS upgraded from version F1 to F3d)

- CPU AMD Ryzen 5 2400G with AMD Vega video

- Memory: Kingston 2 x 4 GB DDR4 2666 Mhz

- System drive: Kingston UV500 SSD, 240 GB (M.2 socket)

- Storage drive: Seagate Barracuda Guardian 1 TB HDD, SATA3

- ODD: LG DVD-RW (SATA)

I upgaded mainboard BIOS to the latest version, I tried different settings in BIOS (some of them recommended on this forum).

Memory was tested with MemTest 86 many times. No errors.

I installed Windows 10 (4-5 times) and different versions of chipset driver (including the driver from mainboard CD and the latest stable version) and I want to install Windows updates.

The computer randomly freeze (is necessary to push "Reset" button) or display BSoD with "clock_watchdog_timeout" error message and reset.

According to Microsoft, the problem might occur due to any hardware issues, but especially due to CPU cores / threads issues:

"This problem might occur due to any hardware issues. The CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT error means that your processor is having trouble with cooperation from its cores and threads. Threads are tasks taken by cores, and some cores can take many threads simultaneously. The problem here is that a thread is waiting for a proper response from another thread — or a core is waiting for a response from another core — and those responses aren’t coming.

Therefore, you get this BSoD error. While this is a processor problem, this can be caused by two things: a driver error, which is very likely if you’re using Windows 10, or the OS itself isn’t playing nice with the processor."

How how can I convince the OS to "play nice with the processor"?

The processor can be damaged? There is a compatibility issue?

There is somebody with a good idea about this problem?

0 Likes

I encountered such problems, it was restarting on its own with BSOD with the clock-watchdog-timeout error and sometimes it freezes completely without a cursor movement, even if I left it for some time
and tried a lot and it seems that it solved (I used it repeatedly and it did not separate) and praise be to Allah, although I tried several solutions and it did not work most
and after me despaired found it opens and does an update to some thing - it was a blue screen written update and don't shut down, as I remember - after that, praise be to Allah, I did not find these problems in the system,
and I checked the Windows Event Viewer and it became clear that it was most likely an update to Windows Defender (as in the picture).

0 Likes

I encountered such problems, it was restarting on its own with BSOD with the clock-watchdog-timeout error and sometimes it freezes completely without a cursor movement, even if I left it for some time
and tried a lot and it seems that it solved (I used it repeatedly and it did not separate) and praise be to Allah, although I tried several solutions and it did not work most
and after me despaired found it opens and does an update to some thing - it was a blue screen written update and don't shut down, as I remember - after that, praise be to Allah, I did not find these problems in the system,
and I checked the Windows Event Viewer and it became clear that it was most likely an update to Windows Defender (as in the picture).

0 Likes