I believe this bug can hardly be mistaken as anything else by those who experience it and I'm afraid it has been overlooked by AMD. I was just stressing the point to avoid any possible misunderstanding on the validity of this issue. Thanks for your input on the power plans btw. Cheers
I only got this issue, once, when I first used a different windows power plan, a non-standard one which was 1usmas's power plan. This did, however, go along with changing a few settings he said to change in bios. For a board bios, there is also the possibility that the auto rules are setting something that would cause this behavior. I'm on the very latest bios for my board.
uninstall all AMD chipset drivers and all 1usmas tools, then install AMD chipset drivers 2.04 and nothing else. AMD power plans included in 2.04 already have 1usmas same optimization .
I solved my locked core speed like this.
Since end of march, never seen any locked core.
After reinstalling windows for a third time and a few bios resets the issue seems to have disappeared from my 3600x. Now I´m even running the amd hp powerplan, pbo and overclocked ram at 3200cl14. Still have no clue what the possible fix was...
Well done !
don't forget, windows is not always the same, some KB on April and May have created many issues silently.
Well I uninstalled *everything* that smelled even remotely like proprietary or monitoring software like AI Suite, MSI Afterburner, FanExpert, all AMD related stuff, killed all processes that weren't absolutely necessary and deleted their directories. Then I reinstalled only the mandatory motherboard drivers and ...well, as you can see from the picture below things have gotten better and I've had no issues since with clock speeds.
It was may 10 when I was here with this same issue. At that time this happened at least 2-3 times on a week. On a random site it was suggested that the CPU Vcore in the UEFI/BIOS should be changed from auto to normal(I've a gigabyte x570 mobo, so I don't know how others would behave). Then I changed only that, and I never had this problem since then. I use the PC every day at least 12h.
Other change was that I installed 2 linux distributions on my other ssds but I don't think that this should be related in any way.
just wanted to share my experience with the issue:
MSI X570 Ace (Bios 7C35v17)
Ryzen 3800X with IF @ 1867 Mhz
16 GB HyperX Predator @ 3733 Mhz CL16
Windows 10 (1909)
Yesterday I made the switch from a Noctua D15 aircooler to an Enermax Liqtech II AiO, I happened to have laying around. It was more of a test project, wasnt expecting huge gains in cooling performance.
Either way, I installed the AiO and booted to Windows 10, had some test running and all was fine and dandy with Temps in the expected range (35 - 50°C Idle and 70°C under full load).
I shutdown my PC, went to bed but couldnt sleep, so I turned it on again about 1 hour after the shutdown.
In Windows 10 it was immediately apparant that something was off. Sluggish mouse movement and extremely long app loading times.
I started hwinfo and checked the sensors. The 3800X was sitting at around 500 Mhz all-core clock.
I went ahead and started Cinebench R20's allcore benchmark. The CPU kept the clock at around 500 Mhz.
I checked the energy settings and the PC was set to "High Performance" (non-AMD plan). I didn't recall setting it to this plan, so I switched to "AMD Balanced" and immediatelly the clocks went up to their usual values, the PC was reacting normally again.
After that I installed the newest Chipset drivers and the newest version of Ryzen Master (had an older version from late 2019 installed before). Restarted the PC multiple times, without the error appearing again, so it might've been a one-time thing or I fixed it with my trial-and-error.
What seems odd to me is the proximity of the appearance of the problem to the cooler change and the fact that the machine was running flawlessly for 9 months before. At first I thought I might've tightened the retention screws of the AiO a bit too much or the backplate might be shortening something on the backside of the socket, but hopefully this really is a software issue.
I'll keep an eye on this and will report back in case things get worse. I'm glad I found this thread!
Thank you for your suggestion!
Hope this solves the issue for at least some of the people here!
But sadly this didn't do the trick for me.
I have a x570 Aorus master (f11) and I turned this option from AUTO to normal yesterday.
Yet today the same problem has just occurred. To be fair, I got 4-5 cold boots without the issue before this happened.
Nevertheless AMD suggested me to RMA the CPU as soon as possible since it could be just a faulty unit.
It sure looks like a power management problem though!
Hi, just here to provide another data point as I have exactly the same issue.
Really disappointed to have such an expensive piece of hardware have such stability issues.
It's my first AMD CPU in a very long time. Not sure I'd pick it again in hindsight.
Ryzen 9 3950X
Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme
32GB (4x 8192MB) G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4-3866 DIMM CL18-19-19-39 Quad Kit
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 P2, 80+ PLATINUM 750W