Needless to say I'm too having this issue. First the proof:

pastedImage_1.png

CPU: 3900X

Mobo: gigabyte aorus master x570

PSU: Seasonic Prime PX-850

RAM: G.Skill F4-3200C14Q-32GFX

Win10

Rest shouldn't be an issue.

The temperature can not be an issue, cuz the temperature never goes too high - meaning I never saw it above 70C

I'm not sure when this issue appears, but randomly happens.
So I'm used to work in this PC at home(just switched from laptop to this new PC) - freelance software development - and sometimes when I'm done with work, and it's time to chill I just realize that the PC is just painfully slow. Sometimes I realize the slowness during work too, but there are days when there is no issue with the CPU at all.

BIOS is on default settings. BIOS version is fresh. PC config is like a months old. There is an XMP setting, but as I see it's not on atm.

As I can see it here it seems to be a major bug/issue, cuz different ppl have this issue with different setup. So I'm kinda disappointed, cuz if I would release a product, which has this major issue for months after the release, my clients would cook me alive for sure.

0 Likes
randomguyn
Adept I

Re: AMD Ryzen 3900X stuck at very low (500 Mhz) frequencies on several cores

Interesting fact: I remembered that I had the XMP profile on, and now that I restarted the PC it seems like I was right about it. However after the PC boots up, in the HWinfo it says that the memory is running on the default 2400Mhz(1200Mhz)

I'm not sure if this is related.

0 Likes
eliveltonz
Adept I

If you change the xmp, set a memory speed to run, I put 2667mhz to not give any more problems, usually as motherboards limit it to 2133mhz without any configuration.

0 Likes
eliveltonz
Adept I

what is the speed of the memory configured in the bios?

0 Likes
acdarc
Adept I

Happened to me as well. Completely fresh install on a new MB/CPU/RAM. Asus TUF x570, R3900X, HyperX 3.3Ghz.

All firmwares and drivers are latest, including BIOS.

Nothing changed, just one morning at cold boot the cores were stuck at 559Mhz. Started uninstalling proprietary softwares, tuning programs and changing power plans, nothing seems to help. Now disabled fast boot and set power plan to W10 default to see if it still happens. 

Really frustrating.

adirectorroth
Adept I

Hi!

I've been having the same issue since april 21st.

My setup was 2 months old at the time.

3950x running at stock speeds no PBO
Gigabyte Aorus Master x570 f11

G.Skill Trident Z neo 3600 cl16.

Samsung 970 pro Nvme m.2 1tb

Windows 10 1909 update.

Latest chipset drivers installed (from AMD's site, April update)

I initialy placed a ticket to RMA my CPU in order to discuss the issue with them. They did authorize the RMA code immediately but I haven't followed through yet given that it seems to me that it is a software problem (windows and drivers). Sending away my CPU for a month (at best) and being unable to work for that time is not financially reasonable right now. Especially in this case, that it's highly likely that nothing is wrong with my CPU and windows or chipset driver or even deprecated motherboard drivers (Gigabyte tends to be insultingly slow on updates) could be the culprit.

I, too, tend to "WAKE UP" the cores by going to power plan settings and switching power plans a couple of times.
For example, going from AMD Ryzen Balanced to Windows Balanced and back again. The switch confirmation comes by closing the window. Most of the times a couple of switches are enough. The cores immediately wake up.

But I surely would not like the health of the pc I work from to be a dice roll.

So here's what I would add to the conversation.

Could anyone please check for their background installations windows might have done before the issue first appeared? Not through windows update (my history had registered only a minor windows defender update).

pastedImage_1.png

But In system restore I got this

pastedImage_2.png

Windows modules installer is a windows services that does what the name implies, it silently installs windows modules in the background.

Diving into the affected programs list for the restore point I got these among the other known installations.

pastedImage_5.png

The only one that is in some apparent way related to CPU behavior is the Security Devices one. AMD supplies it's own driver for this device, the AMD PSP 11.0 Device driver.

The drivers this background installation replaced were these ones.

pastedImage_6.png

Since I'm not an expert I don't really know what to make of this, but hopefully someone else here can, if it's at all helpful.

Hopefully there will be an official response to this bug.

Thanks!

0 Likes
acdarc
Adept I

Googling this issue further shows this happening three years back already, so this is not a new thing. Does anyone know has AMD (or Microsoft) attempted to investigate this issue at all except just telling to reinstall all and make sure you have the latest drivers? Even to determine if this is solely a Windows issue or something more fundamental?

0 Likes
shinkojiro
Miniboss

Seems for now, if you experience the problem when booting your PC into windows, go to the power plans screen and change to a different profile and then back again. I've been sticking with the AMD Ryzen high performance plan and it hasn't occurred for me.

0 Likes
shebuka
Journeyman III

I have a similar problem but on ALL cores on my 3700X and B450 Tomahawk Max... My energy profile was always "AMD Ryzen high performance" and rebooting helped.

Today I've tried to change it to "Balanced" and then back to "AMD Ryzen high performance" and it helped!!!???

How this is possible? What do I need to do to fix this permanently without this hack?

0 Likes
mccharle
Elite

hello shebuka,

have you AMD chipset drivers 2.04 ? have you installed them after uninstall the previous and rebooted before installing the 2.04?

0 Likes