cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

kaeuvian
Journeyman III

Re: AMD Ryzen 3900X stuck at very low (500 Mhz) frequencies on several cores

Came back to say this also, since my previous post all I had done was turn off fast boot as previously described and also uninstalled ryzen master.

No more episodes of low frequency locks. No idea what the program was doing actively to cause issues, since all i had done with it was install it to check it preferred cores/ccx and see that clock speeds to compare to cpuid HWMonitor.

0 Likes
payo36
Journeyman III

LowClock.png

I have the same issue with 3900x and 3950x. These are list of the HW that I use.

- Aorus x570 I

- Asus Crosshair impact VIII

- Asus Hero VIII

- Aorus x570 Xtreme

All main boards above have this problem once in a while. The CPU is not OCed and PBO is off. The cooler is NZXT X62. What I have tried but NOT fix the problems are. 

- Disable Windows fast startup.

- Change the RAM speed, turn off XMP profile.

- Change power plan setting to AMD high performance and AMD balance (Edit.. with AMD Balance , sometime it will fix it self like 10 seconds after boot)

- Change RAM stick from T-Force 4133 MHz  to Hyper X fury 3200 MHz

- Change CPU from 3900x to 3950x

- Change 4 above main boards.

- Clean install of Windows 10

When it happens it just happen. I can feel the lag as others say. 

I've nothing left to try, 2 cpus, 4 main boards, 2 set of RAMs.  

CAM software from NZXT is my last suspect. Ryzen Master won't lunch when CAM is on.  This might cause the issue. But If I turn off CAM, the pump speed will run at slow setting. so..

Edit 1

Today when this symptom happen, I ran CB R20 and monitor it with Ryzen master. I found out that all cores were running at 566 MHz instead of 3960 MHz. While the CB R20 was still running, I opened up power setting and change the power plan setting from "AMD High Performance" to "AMD Balance" , suddenly the clock jumped right back to 3960 MHz in Ryzen Master.

So, I believe this is WIndows 10 and AMD driver specific issue. I found this problem also happen when I boot from AMD Balance plan but sometime it will fix itself in a few seconds after boot.

stayer_mc
Adept I

Since I turned off fast startup in Windows and fast boot in BIOS, the problem has not appeared. About a month (1-2 power-up a day). Also updated Windows to the latest version.

salseropilot
Adept II

stayer_mc‌ Thanks for the follow-up. I am pleased to also to report that I have not seen the low frequency issue ever since I turned off fast startup. Definitely something software related.

I haven't not seen the issue come back in over a month so far. So I am confident this was the issue.

stayer_mc
Adept I

Yes, it is definitely a software problem. As we see payo36 changed everything that was possible to change but the issue remained. Although I contacted the AMD warranty service about this and after several questions they suggested trying a different motherboard and if it doesn’t help, then return the processor to the seller under warranty. I ordered it in another country, so this is completely inconvenient.

0 Likes
zx128k
Adept I

Only happens with the 2.70 bios for my motherboard x570 Taichi (AMD AGESA Combo-AM4 1.0.0.4 Patch B).  Rolling back the bios to 2.10 (AMD AGESA Combo-AM4 1.0.0.3 ABBA) fixes the issue.  Fast boot works in 2.70 and not always in 2.10.  Cores get stuck at 500Mhz or some other frequency.  There is no fix, just try disabling fast boot or roll back bios version.

Anyway 2.10 has the EDC bug which makes your cpu boost like crazy.  If you are entering your motherboard power values manually into PBO and say your motherboard is 500A EDC maximum (cpu default is 140A).  You type it in but forget the zeros, thus 5 is entered.  The cpu will go crazy and boost all core to 4.4GHz in cinebench r20 and Time spy cpu (and other avx loads).  In games you can get an all core boost of 4600Mhz.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 7 3800X,ASRock X570 Taichi CPU score with EDC bug.

0 Likes
jaydeejoy
Elite

i had this issue 4 months ago. 3700x + asus tuf x570 plus. mailed AMD with 100 bench test pics of CPU..i tryed everything like yours. restart . can fix this issue but when every cold start do this,  u feel like crazy. THIS S AMDchipset driver issue.when i update lastest drivers 2.03.12.0657, just once time i ve seen that low clcok speed in 3 months and when i update 2.04.04.111 i never seen this issue yet . BUT lots of TUFx570 user has that problem.
My PC stabil now.
w10 x64 2004
1407 x570 Tuf Bios
2.04.04.111 AMD driver.

0 Likes
jolouis
Journeyman III

I had the same issue with my 3800x this morning after booting up my PC. This is the fourth times it happens to me since I build my PC in march 13.

My PC:

3800x

ROG Strix X570-E Gaming (BIOS 1407)

Crucial Ballistix RGB (2 x 8 GB) 3600Mhz (CL16)

Windows 10 Home 64bits 1909

I have fast startup enable (I might try to change it)

Instead of rebooting this time, I went to the settings and changed the power plan from Ryzen High Performance to Balanced to see if it will do some sort of a reset and it does: the core clock instantly came back to normal (notice the actual speed column vs the minimum one in the picture below). 

Capture (2).PNG

When I return back to the High Performance profile, the core clock also stay normal, so it means there is something that doesn't initialize correctly with Windows or the AMD driver during the boot. It would be interesting to know if it also happens on Linux.

I compared the last chipset driver installer from ASUS website (release in 2020/01/20) to the one from AMD (2.04.04.111, release 4/7/2020)  and there is a slight difference. The installers are not the same, the one from ASUS install OEM app profile (it isn't useful for me since I have an nvidia), and the driver version for the PCI and the GPIO Controller are slightly higher with the installer from AMD. The drivers from ASUS are installed in my system right now, so perhaps using the latest driver from AMD, like jaydeejoy, is the solution.

Driver installer from ASUS:

Has OEM app profile 1.00.0000

AMD GPIO Controller Driver 2.2.0.121

AMD PCI Driver 1.0.0.74

Driver installer from AMD:

AMD GPIO Controller Driver 2.2.0.126

AMD PCI Driver 1.0.0.76

Btw, for those who have an Asus motherboard, go check if there is new BIOS update for your specific model, 1408 version is released for mine :

ROG STRIX X570-E GAMING BIOS 1408
"1.Improve system stability
2.Add BCLK Frequency and SB Clock Spread Spectrum items into BIOS Advanced mode. "

0 Likes
jaydeejoy
Elite

AMD saıd, dont use ASUS driver, USE AMD lastest driver. Asus drivers are outdate and not stabil. i mailed ASUS 1000 times for a new bios (bclk speed) and they done

0 Likes
jaydeejoy
Elite

try fresh install windows 10 (2004) and do not install any driver from Asus..Use AMD high Performance thats it.