Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

salseropilot
Adept II

Re: AMD Ryzen 3900X stuck at very low (500 Mhz) frequency for core 0, 1, and 2

Hi all,

I seem to be having this low frequency issue more often than usual. Particularly after a cold boot, such as powering up the PC after being off for about 8 hours.

The issue happened again this morning, and this time all 9 cores were locked at the 500 Mhz range! And the 10th core was locked in the 1900Mhz range. This is ridiculous. 

Here are some photos:

Capture4.PNG

Capture5.PNG

Capture6.PNG

The frustrating part about this issue is that you can actually feel the lack of performance. As in, this is not a display issue or a frequency reporting issue. The cores seem to be really locked at those frequencies.

Also it does not matter if I exercise the CPU using a CPU stress tool or not; the frequencies stay low and never jump up to their appropriate frequencies when stressed.

A reboot promptly fixes the issue.

Nevertheless it is unacceptable to be dealing with an issue such as this one, on a $500 CPU. This need to be addressed, and I really wish this forum was frequented more by actual AMD engineers that would take our issues to heart and actually investigate these issues. 

It seems as we're all running around trying to guess what the issue is, instead of having someone from AMD test this for a potential defect. This is an AMD forum after all.

salseropilot
Adept II

Re: AMD Ryzen 3900X stuck at very low (500 Mhz) frequencies on several cores

Hello Kamatcho,

Just out of curiosity, what motherboard do you have? I have the ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS

And I am wondering if it's motherboard issue, or a CPU issue.

0 Likes
salseropilot
Adept II

Just a quick update. I have decided to disable Fast Startup (which Windows happens to recommend by the way) as I suspect that maybe, just maybe this has something to do with it. 

From what I learned, Fast Startup saves a few things before shutting down and reloads them straight to Ram, including configurations, drivers etc.. It is plausible this could be interfering with the way the AMD CPU works. 

In any case, I will try this and will come back and update after a few days.

0 Likes
xaia
Journeyman III

Hi!

I am running in the same issue as above. For some reason all my cores are down-clocked to 500ish Mhz. After restart everything goes back to normal.

I recentely updated my BIOS to newest one. Before update I never noticed such issue.

AS Rock Taichi x570

G.Skill 3600Mhz 64GB

Ryzen 3950x

0 Likes
salseropilot
Adept II

Hi, xaia,

Can you check if you have Fast startup enabled?fast start up.PNG

0 Likes
xaia
Journeyman III

Hi!

No, I don't have any fast startup enabled. Even the one in the BIOS is disabled.

0 Likes
salseropilot
Adept II

Interesting, ok. I was hoping you had it enabled, then I would have more certainty that it was the issue, as I have had Fast Startup disabled for a few days; and have not had the issue happen to me. 

It may very well be that Fast Startup is not the trigger for this issue. Could be something else. Nevertheless the fact that you have a different motherboard than mine (I have an TUF GAMING X570-PLUS) at least indicates that it is not a motherboard issue.

So Maybe it is a CPU issue after all, specific to the 3 series.

0 Likes
stayer_mc
Adept I

The same issue. Ryzen 9 3900x drops multipliers after loading. Motherboard ROG STRIX X470-F GAMING with latest bios version. Latest AMD chipset drivers.  All BIOS settings are set to default. Previously had 2700x on this motherboard, but with an earlier BIOS, and had no problems.

2020-01-16_16-27-13.png2020-01-26_18-09-37.png

0 Likes
kaeuvian
Journeyman III

I have had this similar bug, one time it was ALL cores - I didn't realise until after I played some MHW for about 90mins why I was so laggy/jumpy frame rate - to be honest, I'm impressed it ran as well as it did still. 12 cores running at 559Mhz.

When I realised that was the issue, I loaded up both HWMonitor & Ryzen Master to check clocks from both and they showed the same clocks. I ran a Cinebench R20 and got a score of 851!  

This was a recently built system and I had only not long installed the latest bios  for an Asrock B450M Pro4-F to even use the 3900x (yeah, not ideal but I found the 3900x cheap as new so jumped at it. I do plan on upgrading board)

I only noticed the bug AFTER I had installed Ryzen Master/AMD Power plans and enable the power plans. Before this I had many reboots/cinebench runs to try and get higher boost clocks which lead me to the power plans/ryzen master (power plans is all that I really needed it seemed)

After reading this thread, I changed power plan from High Perf to Balance (both AMD versions) and back and it fixed the locked clocks without a reboot. I have also disable the Turn on Fast startup option as described above. If i see it again I will try a bios reset ( was reset originally with the upgrade/to get it to post with new memory and cpu)

Sadly, it's exactly these types of issues that lead me away from ever buying an AMD GPU from about 10 years ago and now something similar with processors. I wouldn't say I'm an intel fanboy , but I sure enjoyed things just working with my previous intel builds and having smooth experiences

locked clocks.jpg

candymancan
Adept I

This happens on my 3800x too, its happen to me 3 times.. Its only does this when i have Ryzen master installed.  Once i got rid of that program i havent see my cpu do that anymore.   I think this is a software issue.. Ryzen master has given me alot of problems not just this.  But i have seen this before,,, 3800x stuck at 500mhz or so on many cores and performance is crushed

I suggest you guys reset your ryzen master to default.. reboot, then uinstall it..  Ill never use that program again.   If you guys however are getting this without ryzen master installed then im wondering if this is a hardware issue.   Honeslty though, i am so tired with in-consistant boost clocks on these cpus.  i cant even get a single core boost at 4500mhz like advertised...  with multicore boost at like 4160-4200mhz.   I decided to tinker with the cpu and i managed to get 4450mhz 8 core boost at 1.37v stable..  I plan to keep it there 24.7,  im not messing with this up and down up and down crap anymore.