cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

teckno
Journeyman III

Re: AMD Ryzen 3900X stuck at very low (500 Mhz) frequencies on several cores

hi, i read on a other forum to replace amd sata driver by ahci sata  from microsoft to fix issue

poor performance and some buzzing noise and,mouse freezing.

latency from storport.sys are the main problem from dpclat report

thanks to christoph on overclock forum,i hope this can help you!

0 Likes
adirectorroth
Adept I

Hello!

3950x, Gigabyte Aorus Master x570 (rev 1.0). (3700x also tested, exhibits same behavior)

I've updated both the bios and the backup bios a couple of weeks ago to f20.

The problem hasn't reared its ugly head since then. I'm keeping an eye out though since you never know with these things.

All settings to default/Auto apart from XMP profile.

I had contacted Gigabyte for this issue quite a while ago and got nothing serious in response. Just a tip to disable AMD cool n quiet from bios and a vague suggestion to disable "other power saving options". I wouldn't necessarily suggest disabling AMD CnQ because people have been reporting issues with it either on or off.

The f20 bios description states that it fixes the security vulnerabilities for SMM Callout Privilege Escalation, and apparently all motherboard vendors have rolled out or will roll out updates with this fix. I'm not sure if this is in any way related.

Hope this somehow helps! Cheers!

EDIT: removed link to tomshardware article on SMM CPE

0 Likes
hermanoc
Journeyman III

Hey Kaeuvian, good to know you are using a Ryzen 9 3900x with an Asrock B450M Pro4-F. So, is it working good besides this problem with clocks that are common to all users apparently? I have the same board with Ryzen 5 3600, but I'm planning to upgrade to a Ryzen 9 3900x and use it in stock to render (Vray and Corona). Is the package doing good?

Thank you!

0 Likes
randyredbeard1987
Journeyman III

I have same issue with my 3600x and we have same exact motherboard which is interesting.  

0 Likes
lpr1
Journeyman III

It's interesting this issue happens for some users with Bristol Ridge as well (according to this thread) with different motherboard vendors. I had similar (I'm 99% sure it's the same) issue under Arch Linux with Picasso APU, with frequency stuck at random state (where CPU freq state is at the time bug happens). Solved it by rolling back to the specific UEFI version (2.30 for ASRock A320M-HDV R4.0 motherboard).

I've found semi-consistent way to replicate it under Linux tho:

1. Start Dolphin Emulator, run GC image (F-ZERO GX NTSC-U for example), let it loop in the background. Or any (? I know for some WINE) 3D application.
2. Start monitoring CPU/iGPUfrequencies:
watch -n1 grep \"cpu MHz\" /proc/cpuinfo
watch -n1 sudo 'cat /sys/kernel/debug/dri/0/amdgpu_pm_info | grep "MHz"'
3. Do whatever on the PC, wait (anywhere from 5 minutes up to a few hours = random) till frequency locks.

I've tried multiple kernels, governors etc., so software is rulled out completely, especially now when I know that one specific UEFI version does not replicate the bug.

Can you guys test it so we can see if this is the same issue? It sure looks like the same, behaviour is the same.

0 Likes
7equila
Journeyman III

I also just had this with a 3700X. Half the cores went 535 mhz. Had it for the first time since I build this PC in July 2019. I'm on a x570 TUF Gaming Wifi with 3733c16 ram. Is it possible that it is linked to the LLC (Load Line Calibration) setting? It is the only BIOS setting I touched recently in and since I never had this before, I wonder if it has anything to do with it. I changed the LLC from Auto to Level 3.

0 Likes
alsodavid
Journeyman III

I  changed my power option from AMD Ryzen High Performance to AMD Ryzen Balanced and the four cores running at 570 MHz immediately jumped to where I expected them to be (around 44xx MHz). 

My peak package (Node 0) temp at the time was 67 deg C.

I can switch it back to AMD High Performance without it throttling but I will leave it at AMD Ryzen balanced for a month or so to see if it comes back.

I have noticed this once before where all 8 cores were around 570 MHz and that time my first measure was rebooting and that fixed it.

System:

Ryzen Master not installed

3800x

Gigabyte A570 Aorus Pro Wifi board v 1.0 bios v f12

Asus Cerberus GTX 1070 Ti

GSkill 3200

PBO on

XMP on

0 Likes
clsmithj
Adept II

This issue is happening with my Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX on MSI X399 MEG Creation motherboard. 

0 Likes
Tozzz34
Journeyman III

Maybe the only solution is to use the warranty and ask amd for a cpu replacement. Looks like everyone having the issue tried everything to fix it, but nothing really works seriously...

I have same issue, i updated recently amd drivers through msi dragon center. I have a 3700x with a b550 gaming edge wifi... tried almost everything... i think im gonna ask amd tech support...

0 Likes
ZOXEXIVO
Journeyman III

ASUS ROG 370-F Gaming + 3950X

1 of 5 computer loading show me this result (0.56 GHz).  Reboot helps

Ryzen.png

0 Likes