cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

lakerssuperman
Journeyman III

Re: AMD Ryzen 3900X stuck at very low (500 Mhz) frequency for core 0, 1, and 2

All good.  It seems to all be related.  I've come across dozens of threads like this talking about slight variations of the problem we all seem to have in some way.  As I'm a Linux user, I was excited because this was the first time I really saw mention of Linux in relation to this scenario as most other threads talk about messing with the Windows power profiles to fix the issue.  But this very much seems to be a BIOS based issue since I'm on Linux having the same problem.  I'll keep tinkering and see what I come up with for my issue.  Thanks!!

0 Likes
Mcunixz
Journeyman III

What i can tell you for sure that ive noticed is that its mostly a hardware problem ( i mean not the os). Its like if the MB was always telling the cpu that the voltage is too high and it fix it. Its like a never ending loop. Always in emergency mode. Just like when the cpu reaches a high temperature, the mb put down the voltage to secure it. Weird as **bleep**. Ive been looking to numbers for 2 weeks to understand when i had the issue. 

0 Likes
lakerssuperman
Journeyman III

Totally agree.  It isn't a OS issue.  It's something hardware based.  The OS may come into play when the hardware becomes a problem, but it isn't the culprit.

0 Likes
avet
Adept I

but os can change so many things nowadays, so it might have the solution.

even old bios had an option for 'plug and play os', whatever that meant.

the bios setting that probably helped me most was: 'Advanced/AMD Overclocking/AMD Overclocking\SoC/Uncore OC mode' (Forces CPU SoC... to run at their maximum frequencies at all times.)

iirc, I've also fixed the frequencies.

and disabled 'Precision Boost Overdrive'.

i've got a 'gamer' motherboard so bios has a lot of options.

edit: I can post screenshots of all bios settings if that would help. there should be some linux util that can dump them.

haven't noticed any downside so far.

btw, I'd keep the kernel updated just in case.

0 Likes
Dankler
Journeyman III

Re: AMD Ryzen 3900X stuck at very low (500 Mhz) frequencies on several cores

I just had my Threadripper PRO 3975WX lock itself to 547 MHz for several days and tried all the solutions in this thread. What finally unlocked it for me was allowing the login screen to idle until my computer went to sleep, then waking it and logging in. Now only some of my cores are locked to half the boost speed (1800-2400MHz), but I’ll take it. 

0 Likes
Dankler
Journeyman III

UPDATE: After testing, I can only conclude that disabling Core Performance Boost and enabling whatever that C-states option is allowed me to get back to base clock.

0 Likes
cyring
Adept II

Check the P-States plan which might be corrupted.

Also Max Non-Turbo & Boosted P-states

And whatever Coefficient of frequency is locked in SMU.

2021-10-17-172001_644x550_scrot.png

CoreFreq

A wrong Power Limit can also limit the frequency.

0 Likes
GMdoghunter
Adept I

Re: AMD Ryzen 3900X stuck at very low (800 Mhz) frequencies on all cores

I too like many others have the same issue of all of a sudden the processor seems to just go down to 800mhz on all cores,most noticable whjen the computer just goes sluggish.

I have to add my build is only 1 month old

Asus rog crosshair v8 formula am4 motherboard

ryzen 3900x cpu

corsair vengeance pro rgb 64gb@3600 mhz

rtx 3060 gpu

32tb storage split over 2 nvme drives,2 ssds,4 internal hdds.

Everything is new in this build,build is also fully watercooled as well,not with an aio but pumps rads etc full watercooling setup.

Temperatures range-idle 40.c app,under laod about 51.c

Definitely not temperature related as i initially thought it could be thermal throttling.

But after reading this forum its definitely not a thermal issue imo its either hardware or software,but i would suspect more of a hardware issue.

Hopefully someone can get to the route of this very annoying problem as i came from using an intel processor,amd does seem more responsive,but the issues with these are just beyond ridiculous.

I want to stay with team red but issues need to be fixed.

0 Likes
orange_t
Journeyman III

I have the same problem.

Ryzen 5 3600, intermittently dropping down to 500Mhz (5.5 multiplier). Reboot doesn't bring the clocks back up, I have to turn off/turn on the PSU power.

I have ASUS Crosshair VIII Dark Hero and everything was working fine until I installed custom water cooling loop in my build. I also updated the BIOS, and chipset driver, so I'm not sure whether it's software or hardware related.

I tried clearing CMOS, updating BIOS, disabling PBO, disabling Core Performance Boost, enabling SoC Uncore OC Mode, reinstalling chipset driver, changing power plan. No luck so far. I hope that's not the case, but I suspect it's a hardware issue. Maybe, a pin on the CPU, CPU socket, or some other motherboard component was damaged when I installed the loop. I'll be upgrading the loop and inspecting the components in 2 weeks or so, so maybe then I will identify the cause.

0 Likes
avet
Adept I

it seems that setting the multiplier manually to x36 (in my case) is crucial

0 Likes