cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

avet
Adept I

Re: AMD Ryzen 3900X stuck at very low (500 Mhz) frequency for core 0, 1, and 2

Crucial setting is probably enabling 'Advanced/AMD Overclocking/AMD Overclocking\SoC/Uncore OC mode' (Forces CPU SoC... to run at their maximum frequences at all times.)

I have also enabled 'LN2 Mode' and  disabled 'Precision Boost Overdrive' in same menu branch

0 Likes
garbagefeline
Adept I

Been running for a few days with fast startup disabled as mentioned by drsomm and the issue seems to have been resolved.

It would be great to see a BIOS or chipset driver update from AMD to resolve this issue properly and allow fast startup to be used without these issues.

cyberfred2021
Adept I

Hi everyone , it seems I have exactly the same problem with my 5900x.

the first 6 cores stuck @571Mhz after a normal boot but it doesn't happen everytime.

A simple reboot or simple standby solve the problem for me and I retrieve normal frequency on my 5900x

When I shutdown completely the computer with power supply off , the problem never happened.

all my driver is uptodate (AMD chipset 2.13.27.501) , lastest BIOS on my Asus Dark HEro , windows 10 update and power on high performance.

I have this rig since 2 months and I noticed this problem only this week , it seems it never happened before.

Perhaps a driver/bios issue after a normal boot ?

thank u very much if u have an idea

0 Likes
cyring
Adept I

Check the target P-state in register MSR_AMD_PERF_CTL. It has to be P0

0 Likes
cyberfred2021
Adept I

Hi Journeyman III

thanks for yur answer.

But I dont understand , what s the register ? u mean registry ? I dont find this value in my registry so where can I find the value of MSR_AMD_PERF_CTL exactly ?

0 Likes
cyring
Adept I

To read such registers, Linux is by far more gifted than Windows.

I'm thus providing CoreFreq for CPU monitoring.

If you don't have Linux, you can download & write the CoreFreq ISO live image onto a USB key and boot it. Startup is fully automated.

Once facing the main UI, clocks are showing in relative frequencies. You can switch to the absolute freq by pressing key [ ! ]

This will reflect the freq coefficient of the target P-state per CPU.

See if values are stuck to 500 or nominal.

0 Likes
cyberfred2021
Adept I

ok thank u very much for all these explanations !

I ll use  CoreFreq ISO live image  to check that

but it seems , for the time being , I dont have the problem.

all my core frequency seems to be fine at boot.

Ben1
Journeyman III

Hello there,

Just had the exact same problem with my 5950X on an ASUS Dark Hero (bios 3302 and latest AMD drivers + power performance set at high performance).

This evening my PC was booting from completely switched off and 8 cores were stuck at 575MHz and the PC was VERY slow. It was the first time it happened since I built it a few months ago.

After a reboot it went back but still it is very strange.

CPU default ???

Please AMD tell us.

0 Likes
Ben1
Journeyman III

Hello there,

Just had the exact same problem with my 5950X on an ASUS Dark Hero (bios 3302 and latest AMD drivers + power performance set at high performance).

This evening my PC was booting from completely switched off and 8 cores were stuck at 575MHz and the PC was VERY slow. It was the first time it happened since I built it a few months ago.

After a reboot it went back to normal but still it is very strange.

CPU default ???

Please AMD tell us.

0 Likes
rcflyinghokie
Journeyman III

Wow I just ran into this issue for the first time as well!  Brand new Ryzen 5900x and just updated the chipset with AMD drivers, and every other boot, the cpu runs about 500MHz.  It will resolve on a reboot but this is absolutely ridiculous!  Has there been any workarounds or root cause identified?

0 Likes