cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

xW4LK3R
Adept I

Re: AMD Ryzen 3900X stuck at very low (500 Mhz) frequencies on several cores

Hello there guys I just created an account to bring this topic back to life again since it's been a while we had a discussion on what this issue could be. 

I bought this CPU from overseas (China) with box and serial numbers, all good. It all went ok after using it for the first months but then RANDOMLY sometimes some of the cores simply go to 0.54GHz as mentioned by our friends previously. 

I hadn't done what you have done regarding changing power plans cause I didn't know it could help by the time it happened to me (13.01.2021) and I just restarted my PC and it solved it for now.

Not sure what's causing the issue but how likely would it be for us to have different lines of processors that behave the same only from 2020 and so on? It seems like a software related issue rather than a faulty one. 

Below I will share a screenshot of the incident: 

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/665579719709949997/798880228281155604/x1111.PNG 

ALL PC SPECS:

MOBO: X470GTN BIOSTAR MINI ITX
CPU: R7 3700X (ALL DEFAULT)
RAM: 32GB 3000MHZ #CL15 - 1.35V
PSU: EVGA 600W WHITE 

VGA: GTX 1070 MINI GALAX

Thanks if anyone could revive this topic again! We need an official statement related to this issue.

theuserofmynameisme
Journeyman III

Me too. I've had a R5 3600 in a ASRock Phantom Gaming B550 for 4 weeks and this morning (at cold boot) I had this problem where it's stuck a bit over 500 MHz. Reboot fixed it. All stock clock/ voltage settings. 3200 MHz 2x16G memory.

So here's what I think's happening. It's a hardware problem or hardware boot up problem. When the BIOS/ chipset starts the CPU, it has a clock oscillator that starts and then a Phase-Locked Loop (PLL) needs to sync to set the frequency multiplier to the final value. I expect it starts the PLL multiplier at a lower value... like 5.5x which is around 500 MHz... to do some of the POST. Later, it steps the PLL up to the final value. So sometimes for these CPUs, this PLL multiplier change fails to synchronize and it's stuck at the lower frequency. I'm certainly speculating but the problem is in the first second after power up.

We are not going to fix this playing around with Windows settings, power save options, etc. AMD need to fix this, or support the mobo devs to get their boot sequence working reliably. A BIOS update could potentially help. Certainly disappointing to see this problem is so old and not resolved. 

0 Likes
xW4LK3R
Adept I

That's a good hypothesis though addressing the hardware as faulty for me does not make sense since there are so many people with the same problem but who knows. 

Weird enough people have said that simply changing the power plan "wake" the cores who are stuck at 500+MHz. I haven't had the problem since so I could test it myself. I have updated my BIOS (AMD AGESA ComboAm4v2PI 1.2.0.0 Beta) to the latest one and also the AMD chipset drivers. Let's see if it fixes it. 

I will once again do a clean install of Windows LTSC to see if there's something in Windows Pro corrupting the system for some reason..

0 Likes
theuserofmynameisme
Journeyman III

We're all here because we have a Ryzen CPU. Why couldn't it be a hardware problem? Even if you swap the CPU you have not changed the CPU design. Every one of these parts coming off the line might have some chance of not starting correctly. It always (from the posts I read) happens at cold start after it's been off a long time. So maybe low temperature makes the issue more likely. Whatever it is, only AMD could have really fixed it. 

xW4LK3R
Adept I

You're right about that theory but what makes me think about another thing is that some users have reported that even having their cores stuck at 500+MHz the moment they changed the power plan from high plan to balanced the cores who were stucked simply woke up and everything came back to normal. That sounds like a software issue for me. AMD is giving zero f## about all of this though. That's why in the future I'm gonna be changing to Intel..

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Ero_Sennin
Elite

Hi everyone,

I would like to tell you that today when I turned on my PC after I woke up, I also noticed this. The 8 cores were running at 571.25MHz. My BIOS settings were in stock only I applied the XMP for the RAM. I am using the Ultimate Performance Windows 10 Power Plan.

I just loaded the BIOS defaults, applied again the XMP for the RAM, rebooted and everything is normal again. I know this is not about the 3900X but while it happened in 5950x I thought it would be useful to post it here.

I don't know if it had to do of course with some changes I was making to the PC FANS speed by checking them at default and max speed for a short time.

0 Likes
xW4LK3R
Adept I

So you're saying this problem is also happening to their newer generation? **bleep**! This does not seem like a hardware fault then. Most likely it's a software related thing (probably conflicits within AMD chipset drivers itself). Just out of curiosity what set of memories are you using as RAM? Mine are corsair vengeance rgb pro 3000 cl15 kit (32gb - 16*2)  

0 Likes
Ero_Sennin
Elite

@xW4LK3R 

Yes it is. First time of course happened to me. And I am using my PC about 2 months almost. I just changed a motherboard before a few days.

I am using the G. Skill Trident Z Neo @@ 3600MHz CL16.

Screenshot_20210131-232115.jpg

xW4LK3R
Adept I

Such a weird behavior. This is so sad to be happening and people simply don't talk about it. Many people on forums online are saying that the problem is related to my motherboard throtteling the CPU when in reality it is not. So sad. 

Next time I upgrade (probably when DDR5 comes out) I will go with Intel. I've never had any problems with Intel in the past and their technology although outdated nowadays seem be to more stable in the long-term. Can't trust AMD with all of those issues anymore.

I'm using a R7 3700X - 32GB DDR4 3000@CL15  1.35V - X470-GTN.

0 Likes
Ero_Sennin
Elite

@xW4LK3R 

Maybe a software that running make this in the windows startup. Maybe it's nothing. What is more concerning is that still the Ryzen 5000 are so new that motherboards can't handle them at the best possible ability and the Ryzen 5950x is increasing very high temps even with good liquid coolers and dual custom loops liquid coolers.

There is a whole thread that already have 41 pages by the users posts and every week new users joining by reporting the same.

Check here if you like to know. But I hope in time by new bios and agesa updates, everything to be fine.

0 Likes