cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

validus1297
Newcomer

AMD Ryzen 3 2300x running very hot when idle, overheating

I purchased a pre-built gaming PC from Best Buy on on August 15, 2019 (approximately 4 months ago).

-------- My Build --------

Operating System:

Windows 10 Home 64-Bit

CPU:

AMD Ryzen 3 2300x

14nm technology

RAM:

8GB Single-Channel DDR4 @ 1199MHz (16-16-16-39)

Motherboard:

MSI ASRock A320M-HDV R4.0 (AM4)

Graphics:

2048MB ATI AMD Radeon RX 560 Series (XFX Pine Group)

Storage:

476GB SanDisk SDSSDH3512G (SATA (SSD))

------------------------------

-------- My issue --------

The idle temperature of my CPU is sitting around 72 C to 74 C (162 F to 165 F).

When I do anything at all, such as minimizing and reopening the window of Speccy (my temperature monitoring program), the temperature of the CPU spikes to 85 C (185 F) briefly before returning to it's idle temperature.

If I'm running antivirus/firewall programs and also a web browser, the average temperature hovers around 85 C (185 F) sometimes getting as high as 95 C (203 F) and sitting there for a bit before returning to the average of 85 C/185 F (which is the CPU's specified thermal throttling cap).

When I run lightweight games (such as WoW Classic, or League of Legends) on the lowest graphic's settings possible (far below the recommended graphics settings), it sits pretty consistently at 95 C (203 F). If I run the games long enough, the computer will freeze and I have to manually cut power to the system by holding the power button. I'm assuming this is due to the temperature reaching 105 C (221 F) and automatically shutting down so as to not do permanent damage to the CPU. Note: The GPU temperatures when running these games or not seem completely normal.

---- What I've Tried ----

1) Switching out the stock CPU cooler and replacing it with a CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black Edition.

2) Updating the UEFI BIOS to version 2.3 using the Instant Flash Tool and instructions from the ASRock Support Page for my specific motherboard/CPU (all later versions were not recommended for my CPU)

3) Doing a clean install of Windows 10 OS with data erasure (writing all 0's to the drive) using Windows 10 recovery feature. Scanned for rootkits afterward to ensure there was no malware hiding anywhere.

4) Doing another clean install of Windows 10 OS from a freshly created boot USB drive created on a very secure PC.

5) Downloaded my display drivers from the AMD website, Uninstalled my display drivers in safe mode using DDU with no NIC, and installing the AMD drivers.

-------- Question --------

These operating temperatures seem insanely high. I've searched the internet everywhere for people with this issue and none seem to have it. My motherboard does not have any capability of over-clocking or under-clocking the CPU otherwise I would have tried that. Is it possible that I have a lemon? Have I not tried everything to ensure there's something else going on?

*********************-------- EDIT --------***********************

I installed Ryzen Master, Core Temp, and HWMonitor
All of these programs are report CPU temperatures of 32C to 34C idle.

So the question is: Why is only Speccy reporting absurdly high temperatures, and why is the game still causing a crash?

0 Likes
1 Solution
misterj
Big Boss

validus1297, I see no evidence of overheating, in fact Ryzen has built in mechanisms to prevent it.  The only measurement that is valid is Ryzen Master, so please post a screenshot of Ryzen Master (RM) - simply drag-n-drop the image into your reply.  Before posting, please uninstall any strange applications and do a Clear CMOS.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

EDIT: Speccy is OBVIOUSLY wrong! Your specifications:

pastedImage_1.jpg

I recommend you uninstall Speccy, HWinfo and all other junk applications including MB so called "command center".  Use ONLY Ryzen Master (RM) as your reporting applications.  Please post a screenshot of RM - simply drag-n-drop the image into your reply.  Do this after uninstalling the junk and doing a Clear CMOS.  I cannot believe you said you could not fine anyone complaining about high temperatures.  MOST of the issue I respond to are the same as yours.  Please look around here.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
s1ilver
Journeyman III

I recommend to update bios to latest and use ryzen master for temps or latest hwmonitor.

I assume windows is updated and also check another drivers what comes for your motherboard. 

Unstall asrock chipset drivers and download it from amd https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/a320 if you haven't try it yet

You can log temps and what it gives when you are gaming. Hwmonitor show you max temps, just play little and look what is your max temps. If temp are fine its still drivers/update issue or its just game itself.

0 Likes

s1ilver, if you read my post, you will have seen that I recommend users use only RM and especially not HWinfo - it is part of the problem, revving the processor to get readings.  Your driver and BIOS recommendations are good.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Sry, when I posted it there was no answers, my post was under review because of new account maybe that's why it was late  

Yes if you read my post I didn't say nothing about HWinfo, I did mean HWMONITOR from cpuid. When I did voltage survey for ryzen then AMD did ask to use CPU-Z for report from cpuid. 

But yes RM is best for AMD but missing some simple logging, it would be nice feature. Like show min and max or something. Usually if you minimize game, temps drop quickly. 

0 Likes
misterj
Big Boss

validus1297, I see no evidence of overheating, in fact Ryzen has built in mechanisms to prevent it.  The only measurement that is valid is Ryzen Master, so please post a screenshot of Ryzen Master (RM) - simply drag-n-drop the image into your reply.  Before posting, please uninstall any strange applications and do a Clear CMOS.  Thanks and enjoy, John.

EDIT: Speccy is OBVIOUSLY wrong! Your specifications:

pastedImage_1.jpg

I recommend you uninstall Speccy, HWinfo and all other junk applications including MB so called "command center".  Use ONLY Ryzen Master (RM) as your reporting applications.  Please post a screenshot of RM - simply drag-n-drop the image into your reply.  Do this after uninstalling the junk and doing a Clear CMOS.  I cannot believe you said you could not fine anyone complaining about high temperatures.  MOST of the issue I respond to are the same as yours.  Please look around here.

0 Likes

Thanks. I need to open a new thread on all my forum websites to ask "Computer crashes when playing certain games with no apparent reason" Because the temperature was obviously not the issue.

P.S. When I said I couldn't find high temp complaints I meant that of the magnitude of my temperatures. Everyone was complaining about like 50-60C when idle which is high but also I'm sure if they had tried everything I tried it would have fixed it instantly.

0 Likes

Windwos have program called "reliability monitor" or "view reliability history", should find it with search, it can show some program error and it has timeline.

Most of the time it is just bad driver or need to update windows. Also manually optimize your drive, you find it under disk properties. No need to download. Check game files 

Usually when you report crashy game to its maker first thing what they ask is to update all. 

Also update bios and do cmos like misterj mentioned

0 Likes