cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

mike_s179
Adept I

AMD (RMA via ModusLink) destroyed my Ryzen 7 PRO 4750G without my knowledge and won't replace it

Hi all,

Posting this here as I'd like to get some visibility in the AMD community as well. I originally posted this to Reddit:

Part 1 - https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/mlzhix/did_amd_rma_via_moduslink_just_replace_my_ryzen_7/

Part 2 - https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/mpcyj1/update_yes_they_did_and_it_doesnt_end_there_did/

I was looking for a 4000-series APU and I could only find them on eBay, so I purchased it there. I noticed some segfault and micro-op cache data parity errors in Linux under certain workloads, which seems to be a rare issue with Ryzen 5 3600 as well sometimes, where RMA is the only solution. Hence I went ahead with making an RMA request.

I filled out the form on AMD's website for RMA of a Ryzen 7 PRO 4750G APU (without knowing that supposedly these chips aren't covered by warranty). RMA got approved - great, right?! I sent in the APU (prepaid shipping label) to AMD's partner in Miami, FL, USA, ModusLink and it was delivered on Apr 5, 2021. I got an email saying RMA passed inspection and RMA completed. Then got emails saying RMA shipped, with a 3700X OPN number. I contacted AMD to see why they're sending a 3700X and they said they can't ship out "tray" APUs (4750G). More below...

Turns out they never shipped a replacement yet as I caught it in time and have since been in contact with someone at the TECH.SUPPORT [at] amd [dot] com email address. When I asked for my original processor back, they informed me that my original 4750G had been destroyed, as is standard RMA practice once it passes inspection, and could not be sent back to me.

Instead, they are offering me a R7 3700X OR R5 3400G as replacement for my 4750G. As per their warranty terms on their website, they must replace the product with one of equal or greater performance (https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/warranty-information/rma-03). Since I require the iGPU for my workloads, neither the 3700X nor 3400G are of equal or greater performance than my 4750G. I am also using a SFF case (ASRock Deskmini X300), so a 3700X + dGPU wouldn't be an option (no PCIe slot to use, no proper PSU for it, etc.). Hence why I really require an APU with iGPU.

Some will say that I shouldn't have sent it in since the 4750G isn't covered by warranty; I did not know this in advance and thought that since my RMA was approved using the form on their site (where I indicated OPN # and Serial Number), there would be no issues at all with the process. Furthermore, by AMD/ModusLink approving the RMA again once I sent the chip in, and having it pass inspection, they agreed to their own warranty terms in doing so and are thus bound by their warranty for this product after all. AMD should have known as soon as they saw my OPN/serial number that this chip isn't covered under their warranty and they wouldn't be able to replace it with something of equal or greater performance.

Instead by accepting my RMA, having me send the chip over to them, destroying it once passing inspection, and sneakily trying to replace it with an inferior 3700X without giving me any option to say "No" prior to my APU destruction, they have put themselves in a very difficult situation. It's not right to accept the return, destroy my CPU, then offer me an inferior product.

Nowhere in the entire RMA process did AMD inform me that I would be unable to get another 4750G sent out and would instead have to choose from another set of processor with less features -- until mine was destroyed and it was too late. That, to me, is the big issue here. I could have dealt with the occasional segfault/micro-op error had I known this would be the case and avoided this issue altogether.

This is my first RMA experience with AMD, and honestly not a great one due to lack of communication and transparency on what would be done. I have yet to hear back from them on what solution they can offer me, I am heavily pushing for replacement with another 4750G or better APU since that's the only way they can meet their legal obligation to the customer, but wanted to post here in case anyone had any further advise or if I could get in contact with an AMD community manager. Email correspondence with the rep. I am in contact with is quite slow and an hoping to speed up resolution of this issue so I can use my computer again.

I also want to add I've been using various AMD products for many years now without issue, so please don't take it like I'm bashing AMD for this. Just honestly not liking how they handled this situation and am hoping for a swift resolution with a 4750G or better (Cezanne 5700G? I'd sign an NDA if offered to me of course.) being sent out to me.

1 Solution

After writing a nice but strongly worded email to AMD's RMA department, and having /u/AMD_Gary on Reddit reach out to me via DM and escalate the case, I received a call within 24 hours from AMD (phone number from Netherlands, even though I'm in Canada).

They said they will replace my 4750G I sent in with another new 4750G as an exception, since this RMA should never have been approved in the first place. I received the replacement today and it is indeed a Ryzen 7 PRO 4750G, which is what I sent in, and works great in my system!

Finally a happy ending to a month-long RMA process!

View solution in original post

7 Replies

CPU World states that APU is OEM/TRAY only processor: https://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Zen/AMD-Ryzen%207%20PRO%204750G.html

Screenshot 2021-03-24 172051.png

This means that AMD Warranty is not applicable (Voided) and the Retailer/Vendor where you purchased the Processor from is the one responsible in giving you a Warranty on the Processor not AMD.

I am quite surprised that AMD Warranty webpage (https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/warranty-information/rma-form) accepted your RMA to a OEM/TRAY Processor. Normally it would have been refused with an error showing up.

The above link to AMD Warranty won't accept any processor unless it is an Official Retail Box processor.

Did you go directly and opened a AMD Warranty at above link or did you open a AMD Warranty with Moduslink?

If you opened a AMD Warranty with Moduslink then they are the ones responsible for your situation, in my opinion.

0 Likes

@elstaci  I went directly to AMD for my warranty request, filling out this form on their website (https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/warranty-information/rma-form) and then getting an email that it was approved a few days later.

I now realize the Tray CPUs/APUs aren't covered by warranty, however now that it's been accepted, passed inspection, and destroyed, it sure sounds like they accepted it as "under warranty"...

0 Likes

Someone at AMD Warranty seems like they made a wrong judgement on accepting your OEM/TRAY Processor.

Of course I don't have all the full details of the transaction between you and AMD Warranty. AMD Warranty for OEM/TRAY, as far as I am aware of, only gives a Warranty to the AMD Distributor of the OEM/TRAY processors that was purchased directly from AMD Corporation.

EDIT: Not sure if one of the AMD Moderators can find out why your OEM/TRAY Processor was accepting for RMA under AMD Warranty or not but if you post your AMD RMA Ticket number maybe they might be able to find out what happened if they have the authority to do so.

0 Likes

@elstaciI agree that the processor was likely accepted perhaps with wrong judgment. At this point I also feel like AMD must hold up their end of the bargain and should replace it with one of equal or better performance (perhaps the new 5700G APU which was just announced, although this seems to be a tray/OEM-only product for the first few months at least).

Any idea how I can ping AMD Moderators here? I'm new to this forum but would love to bring their attention to this issue.

0 Likes

The AMD Moderators are quite aware of all the threads opened here at AMD Forums.  But if you want to send a PM click on the Envelope next to the AMD Logo.

The Moderators are RAY_M and AMDMATT

But they have no authority to do anything except maybe find out why your processor was accepted by AMD Warranty. (my opinion only).

They may or may not answer your PM due to the nature of your problem. (my opinion only).

0 Likes

After writing a nice but strongly worded email to AMD's RMA department, and having /u/AMD_Gary on Reddit reach out to me via DM and escalate the case, I received a call within 24 hours from AMD (phone number from Netherlands, even though I'm in Canada).

They said they will replace my 4750G I sent in with another new 4750G as an exception, since this RMA should never have been approved in the first place. I received the replacement today and it is indeed a Ryzen 7 PRO 4750G, which is what I sent in, and works great in my system!

Finally a happy ending to a month-long RMA process!

mrsense
Adept II

You got lucky.

0 Likes