cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

WarZuikis
Journeyman III

AMD r9 5900

Hi, I have a new pc build 3080RTX, AMD r9 5900x, 32GB ram, 750PSU. And I get high idle CPU temps. ~81oC.  Is that normal for R9 series ?    

WarZuikis_0-1658746744091.png

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X CPU, ASUS GeForce RTX 3080 TUF Gaming OC V2, Kingston FURY Beast RGB DDR4 3200MHz 32GB, ASUS ROG Strix B550-E GAMING, Corsair RM750 750W PSU, Kingston FURY Renegade PCIe M.2 NVME SSD 2TB
0 Likes
9 Replies

For idle temps its not normal, sometimes there are some spikes and that´s normal. I had those temps while gaming but with a 240mm AIO, after changed to a 360 aio+case my gaming temps are 60´s.

What´s your aio?

0 Likes
misterj
Big Boss

What I do not understand is that Ryzen Master says you have a 12 core processor but only displays six, three of which are running hard and three doing almost nothing. Where are your other six cores? How many cores does Windows say you have?  Should say 12 Cores and 24 Logical processors.  Have fun, John.

0 Likes

Ok pressed on AMD master reset and now i see all 12 cores but still idle temps are a bit high i think.

WarZuikis_0-1658831252970.png

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X CPU, ASUS GeForce RTX 3080 TUF Gaming OC V2, Kingston FURY Beast RGB DDR4 3200MHz 32GB, ASUS ROG Strix B550-E GAMING, Corsair RM750 750W PSU, Kingston FURY Renegade PCIe M.2 NVME SSD 2TB
0 Likes

WarZuikis, it is still not possible to tell what is happening.  RM should be showing 24 processors and four CCDx. We cannot tell if all are being shown. Please answer my question about how many Cores/Logical processors Windows Task Manager shows. Also please answer InvadersMustDie1131's question about your CPU cooler. Your processor is not idle and is showing about 62C - not bad.  What is your ambient temperature? Enjoy, John.

FramJamesgot
Journeyman III

I've been wanting to have an upgrade on my rig for quite a while now, and after endless research, I came down to the 5900X as the CPU of choice, and I'm facing an opportunity to get the parts in a reasonable (albeit still expensive) price, but there are some things that bother me in the slightest. I fear that I might be buying this generation too close to its end, and fear that I will be missing out in several updates in the years to come. So I'm here to ask you guys' wisdom:

Should I bite the bullet and get the 5900X, or wait for the next gen and just hope that the prices wont be prohibitive?

My current rig is: i7 4770K, Asus Maximus VI Formula, Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400Mhz DDR3

My intended rig is to be: R9 5900X, Asus Crosshair VIII Formula, Corsair Vengeance Pro 4000Mhz DDR4 C18.

The GPU will still be my seasoned GTX 1080, with no hope of changing it for the near future.

I know that by going with the mindset of waiting for better stuff to come out, one might never upgrade and be waiting forever, but what really worries me is that my timing is off.

0 Likes

well, its a hard question. 5900x is a beast, i think its worth because the difference between new 7000 and 5000 will not be so big and the new 7000´s will be expensive for sure. Its possible the 5900x drop a little more in price on the release of 7000, wich price you can get the 5900x? 

WateUhlerredal
Journeyman III

'm looking at building a new workstation PC (game dev mostly) in about a month and the 5900x seems like the best option. I know there's a new generation coming out soon, but knowing the current situation, I'm wondering if things will even get cheaper then. I know I would have been happy buying an rtx 2080 the day before 30 series was announced. Edit: Thanks for all the replies, I've decided to get a 12700kf instead. More performance for less money.

0 Likes
BremdanJohnso
Journeyman III

After countless hours of testing, seems like my 5900x decided to stop running and now planning to return it for warranty. Has anyone else experienced similar issues?

0 Likes

Stop running? please be more specific. Are you having reboots or something like that?

0 Likes