cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

rml1
Journeyman III

AMD Northbridge fault

My 2 daughters have bought similar model hp laptops with AMD A4-9120 RADEON R3 processors.

The first laptop reset itself three times in five days. On each occasion I got a critical error Kernel-Power 41 in the event viewer followed up a few seconds later with a WHEA-Logger entry saying "A fatal hardware error has occurred Component AMD Northbridge". I took it back to Tescos and they replaced it with another one, but she has only had it 2 days, I have not even finished downloading the Windows Updates when it reset itself and the same error is in the log file. Her sister has now reported hers is doing the same thing, and the same errors are in her event viewer.

Before I take them both back again, what is this error and why am I getting it with 3 out of 3 brand new laptops?

0 Likes
4 Replies

The proper place for this question is on HP's support forums.

0 Likes

ok i will try that, but don't close this thread yet in case they bump me back to you again. thanks ...

0 Likes
bigfoot447
Journeyman III

Hi rml1

I must have the same laptop here in australia, its a hp with amd a4 9120 and radeon r3. I had been getting the same issue after doing a few windows updates back in feb. I also noticed my avira antivirus playing up after updates.

I've since removed avira and am just using windows defender, i've downloaded all the latest windows updates that just came out and hp updates from support assistance and the issue hasn't come back but it has only been 2 days :S so fingers crossed.

I'm doing about to stress test the machine, with furmark/prime95 and pc mark just to check things out.

On a side note does your cpu clock speed throttle down to %50 when the gpu is active ? guessing its by design to save power... but can't find any info online.

Cheers,

0 Likes
rml1
Journeyman III

Hello

I have been unable to progress the issue further with hp because naturally i took the laptops back and got my money back.

However today, the first time i have now got a similar error on my desktop that i have had for several years. It reset itself and gave the following entry in the log file.

A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Component: AMD Northbridge

Error Source: Machine Check Exception

Error Type: 11

Processor APIC ID: 0

It is a Compaq pc that was upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. It has an AMD Athlon II X2 220 Processor.

What is going on with the AMD Northbridge component? Is it no longer compatible with Windows 10 if you install Windows Updates for example?

thanks ...

0 Likes