cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

chaos_
Adept I

AMD Loaner Program - X570 boards without flashback

I have a 5800X and an Asus Strix X570-i motherboard on order. According to the information I can find - it's highly likely I will require a BIOS flash for this CPU/MB combo. The Strix X570 does NOT have BIOS Flashback, so the only option I have is a loaner CPU.

I ran across a support document outlining that loaners were available for X470 boards and older processors, but I have not found the same for newer X570/B550 boards and the new 5000 series processors.

Does the same program work for the newer series components? 

0 Likes
2 Solutions

I looked at your Asus Strix X570-I Motherboard CPU Support list. You will need BIOS Version 2606 which came out in 08/17/2020 that supports the new 5000 series processors.

https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-x570-i-gaming-model/helpdesk_download/

Screenshot 2020-12-25 210912.png

It is a very good even excellent chance your Motherboard is brand new and manufactured after 08/17/2020 unless the Retailer sends you an older version.

As soon as you get the Motherboard, look for a small thin white label new the CPU Socket. I believe the last line at the end it will have a 4 digit number which is the BIOS Version that came installed on the motherboard. If it says 2606 or newer you are set to go with the new processor.

Also make sure you purchase RAM Part number from the Motherboard's QVL List for RAM Vermeer Modules to make sure you won't have any RAM incompatibilities which might prevent the PC from booting up or crashing while booting up.

Screenshot 2020-12-25 211507.png

But if your motherboard was manufactured before 08/2020 and it does have a BIOS version that doesn't support the new 5000 series CPU you can order a AMD BOOT KIT as per AMD official FAQ Site: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-105

Screenshot 2020-12-25 211921.png

EDIT: I also ordered and received a new Asus Motherboard TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WiFi) which came out in September. This motherboard has a Flashback feature which is one of the main reasons I purchased this motherboard. Plus it is less than $250.00 with similar features of a ROG Crosshair VIII WiFi motherboard which cost almost double what this motherboard costs.

So far after a rough start booting due to my monitor initially\, this motherboard has worked very well with little issues.  

But if you require a Mini-ATX motherboard yours seems to be a very good motherboard.

View solution in original post

I went to your motherboard's CPU SUPPORT LIST and this is the BIOS version that supports that specific CPU: https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-x570-i-gaming-model/helpdesk_cpu/

Screenshot 2020-12-30 132127.png

So unless this is incorrect by Asus Support, BIOS Version 2606 should support and recognize your 5800X processor out of the box.

EDIT: I would install the processor and see if it boots up. If it doesn't then try using BIOS FLASHBACK to install BIOS version 3001.

In fact looking at Asus  CPU SUPPORT LIST all the 5xxx processors listed shows BIOS  version 2606 as the minimum BIOS version that will support and recognize the 5xxx series processors.

Unless BIOS version 3001 was a misprint or it is concerning a newer 5xxxx series processor or just saying that version is made to run the 5xxx series better or be more compatible.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies

I looked at your Asus Strix X570-I Motherboard CPU Support list. You will need BIOS Version 2606 which came out in 08/17/2020 that supports the new 5000 series processors.

https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-x570-i-gaming-model/helpdesk_download/

Screenshot 2020-12-25 210912.png

It is a very good even excellent chance your Motherboard is brand new and manufactured after 08/17/2020 unless the Retailer sends you an older version.

As soon as you get the Motherboard, look for a small thin white label new the CPU Socket. I believe the last line at the end it will have a 4 digit number which is the BIOS Version that came installed on the motherboard. If it says 2606 or newer you are set to go with the new processor.

Also make sure you purchase RAM Part number from the Motherboard's QVL List for RAM Vermeer Modules to make sure you won't have any RAM incompatibilities which might prevent the PC from booting up or crashing while booting up.

Screenshot 2020-12-25 211507.png

But if your motherboard was manufactured before 08/2020 and it does have a BIOS version that doesn't support the new 5000 series CPU you can order a AMD BOOT KIT as per AMD official FAQ Site: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-105

Screenshot 2020-12-25 211921.png

EDIT: I also ordered and received a new Asus Motherboard TUF GAMING X570-PRO (WiFi) which came out in September. This motherboard has a Flashback feature which is one of the main reasons I purchased this motherboard. Plus it is less than $250.00 with similar features of a ROG Crosshair VIII WiFi motherboard which cost almost double what this motherboard costs.

So far after a rough start booting due to my monitor initially\, this motherboard has worked very well with little issues.  

But if you require a Mini-ATX motherboard yours seems to be a very good motherboard.

Received my motherboard today - it has bios version 2606. I have not attempted to boot the system yet - However I'm not finding in the BIOS details that this version will work. Based on the change notes, the only version that lists "New processor support" is 3001. 

I'm curious if there are more detailed change notes than the ones listed in the downloads section of the ASUS support site someplace. I'm not sure how you found that 2606 was the version to have.

0 Likes

I went to your motherboard's CPU SUPPORT LIST and this is the BIOS version that supports that specific CPU: https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-x570-i-gaming-model/helpdesk_cpu/

Screenshot 2020-12-30 132127.png

So unless this is incorrect by Asus Support, BIOS Version 2606 should support and recognize your 5800X processor out of the box.

EDIT: I would install the processor and see if it boots up. If it doesn't then try using BIOS FLASHBACK to install BIOS version 3001.

In fact looking at Asus  CPU SUPPORT LIST all the 5xxx processors listed shows BIOS  version 2606 as the minimum BIOS version that will support and recognize the 5xxx series processors.

Unless BIOS version 3001 was a misprint or it is concerning a newer 5xxxx series processor or just saying that version is made to run the 5xxx series better or be more compatible.

0 Likes

Thanks - I should have looked at the CPU list an not relied on the change notes in the BIOS version. 

You can always verify the CPU SUPPORT LIST by opening either a Asus  CHAT or email ticket.

But you will verify it yourself when you install the processor and it boots up to BIOS or Windows.

If you have the wrong BIOS the only thing that will happen is that the PC won't boot up or POST. It won't damage your PC since essentially your motherboard doesn't know it has a processor installed since it can't recognize it.

Of  course if your PC doesn't boot up with the new processor it could be only reasons like incompatible RAM or defective motherboard, CPU, or some other hardware installed.

0 Likes