cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

faber
Adept I

AMD loan Boot kit process conflicts with my lack of info and time

I bought a 5900x last day due to I want to switch from Intel to AMD CPUs. Right now I'm evaluating to buy an ASUS Pro WS X570 ACE mobo to build a workstation configuration (it has many interesting features about stability, good VRMs with very low temperatures and it is not designed only for gaming).

The problem is that I cannot ask AMD for the short term LOAN BOOT KIT https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-105 and it is possible only if I first buy the mobo from a local reseller or from Amazon. Moreover, at the moment , the reseller cannot tell me if there is a compatible bios version (ver 2311) that avoid me to ask for the loan boot kit.

In the same time AMD asks the invoice and data for the mobo that I will buy (but I will do it if I receive info from the reseller.)

Other option for me would be to switch to a differente mobo with similar characteristics (I did have not seen other WS mobs on the market) . Is AMD capable to support my issue ?

0 Likes
1 Solution

The Motherboard that you posted DOES SUPPORT the 5900X with a BIOS Update: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/All-series/Pro-WS-X570-ACE/HelpDesk_CPU/

Screenshot 2021-03-24 172051.png

The BIOS version you need is 2311 from 10/20/20.

So if you purchase a Asus Motherboard and it was manufactured after 10/20/20 it will have the correct BIOS version installed. It is a good chance the Asus Motherboard that you posted will have been manufactured after 10/2020 unless the Retailer sells you an older manufactured Motherboard.

The Motherboard's BIOS version will be on a small white label either next to the CPU Socket or DRAM slots.

I purchased a Asus Crosshair VIII WiFi Motherboard which was DOA but newly manufacturerd with the correct BIOS I needed but when I had Amazon replace the defective Asus Motherboard they sent me a motherboard that was almost manufacturered two years earlier so I sent it back for a refund. Even though I could have updated the BIOS using the FLASHBACK BIOS feature that doesn't require a CPU to be installed.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

AMD is not going to send you a BOOT KIT unless you already have the Motherboard and Processor on hand.

Also, I imagine,  AMD will probably check to see if your motherboard supports the new 5000 Series processors and if there are any BIOS updates available before shipping out a BOOT KIT.

So I wouldn't worry about a AMD BOOT KIT until you actually purchase a Motherboard and Processor and find out if there is any BIOS updates that supports the new AMD Processor before asking for a AMD BOOT KIT.

0 Likes

Hi, thank you for your answer. I know, the matter is that I already have bought the CPU but not the mobo and  this lack of info is blocking me to buy the one I would or I would prefer. On the other hand I would also avoid the waste of time asking AMD a kit that could ask a long time to receive. 

I will ask again to the ASUS and the distributor if there is a solution for the motherboard due to I DO NOT WANT TO BUY a second Cpu to execute BIOS Update.

I hope you can understand my matter.

p.s.: 

Sorry. I have corrected the subject it is more clear now.

The Motherboard that you posted DOES SUPPORT the 5900X with a BIOS Update: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/All-series/Pro-WS-X570-ACE/HelpDesk_CPU/

Screenshot 2021-03-24 172051.png

The BIOS version you need is 2311 from 10/20/20.

So if you purchase a Asus Motherboard and it was manufactured after 10/20/20 it will have the correct BIOS version installed. It is a good chance the Asus Motherboard that you posted will have been manufactured after 10/2020 unless the Retailer sells you an older manufactured Motherboard.

The Motherboard's BIOS version will be on a small white label either next to the CPU Socket or DRAM slots.

I purchased a Asus Crosshair VIII WiFi Motherboard which was DOA but newly manufacturerd with the correct BIOS I needed but when I had Amazon replace the defective Asus Motherboard they sent me a motherboard that was almost manufacturered two years earlier so I sent it back for a refund. Even though I could have updated the BIOS using the FLASHBACK BIOS feature that doesn't require a CPU to be installed.

It is possible if you purchase the Asus Motherboard directly from Asus Store you might get a newly manufactured Motherboard with the correct BIOS version installed but it might be a little bit more expensive than from a Retailer.

Yes , I searched the ASUS PRO WS X570 ACE in various Asus store, in Europe , but I did not yet found it.

I see that the mobo can be bought only in USA https://www.asus.com/us/motherboards-components/motherboards/all-series/pro-ws-x570-ace/where-to-buy... passing through the local resellers or AMAZON

Hi elstaci,

yes I know,  thank you

I did the same check on the ASUS support and discovered that the minimum BIOS version ito support Ryzen 5000 is the 2311. 

By the way I asked also to the retailer which version is installed on the mobo but I received a vague response that the mobo must be updated with an unspecified version of BIOS. 

I'll check again, in the following days , with the retailer to discover the real version of BIOS so I would buy from it only after receiving correct info about the mobo.

I'm evaluating also if there are alternative mobos X570 for workstations not for gaming but I see it is difficult. (I like Gigabyte  Aourus Master , tha could be a right choice, but it seems to be a mobo fo gaming...).

Not sure, but unless the Motherboard's Retail box indicates that it is 5000 Series ready the Retailer really won't know what BIOS is installed unless they opened the box and physically check or tells you when the motherboard was manufacturered.

Also not sure if the Motherboard Retail box will have the BIOS Version printed on the outside.

The Motherboard's Retail box does have the Serial Number of the Motherboard so if the Retailer can find out when the motherboard was manufactured and maybe the BIOS version installed through the Serial Number.

I just checked my Asus Motherboard Retail box and it doesn't show any BIOS version printed anywhere on the box, but does show the Serial Number and Model number of the Motherboard.

I will ask the retailer which is the date of production on the box, thank you !