Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Journeyman III
Journeyman III

amd fx8350 watercooling

Hi AMD friends and collegaues,

I would have a question about a "really good"! cooling system for the AMD FX8350 with 8x4.0GHz.

Currently I'm using the Corsair H100 watercooling system with 2 fans on it

but unfortunately it seems so that even this cooler system is not strong enough to keep the cpu cool

even if I reduce the GHz power to 8x3.4GHz or 8x2.7GHz it exceeds 70°C and more.

I cannot imagine that a temperature about 70°C is normal for a CPU like this, especially with 8x3.4GHz or less??

I would be really glad if somebody could give me an advice to go for another cooler system or

to change something at the system settings.

Greetings Carl

0 Kudos
18 Replies
Adept III
Adept III

Re: amd fx8350 watercooling

Consider a Swiftech H220 with Cougar PWM fans in push/pull bringing outside air into case.  40's highly loaded (FX9590) with summer ambient temps.

0 Kudos
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

thank you very much for the answer and the advice. The H220 is looking pretty much the same what I have currently with the Corsair H100.

You mean you have a maximum of 40°C CPU temperature with this cooler system?

greetings carl

0 Kudos
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

make sure your VRM and casecooling is good too before you start changing your cpu cooler.
VRM cooling is really important with amd FX cpu's.

0 Kudos
Paragon
Paragon

Built a system a few months back with the 8350,Crosshair V-Z and an H100(with stock thermal paste),It was usually around 50-55"c while benchmarking it.

You have something else wrong.It's NOT the cooler.

Forerunner
Forerunner

The Corsair H100 is not a very good cooler. It should however be enough to cool an FX-8350 under full load unless your ambient room temp is above 85 F or you are doing serious overclocking. The liquid cooled systems work best with the air blowing from outside the PC case into the case because the room ambient temp is lower than the air temp inside the PC case. If you are blowing the warm air in the case out through the radiator, it will perform poorly. You should also check your mobo BIOS to see if the fan speeds are all set at 100% or FULL on as typically they are only about 60% which is not enough. If you use a system monitoring applet like OCCT or similar you can see what the CPU voltage is under heavy load. If the CPU voltage is spiking above 1.4v then the mobo is over-volting the CPU making it run excessively hot. The BIOS LLC control should allow you to adjust the CPU voltage so it does not over-volt the CPU. If not then the mobo is not properly designed or manufactured to use the FX-8000 or FX-9000 series CPUs which draw a lot of electrical power.

Journeyman III
Journeyman III

The H100i is plenty of cooler for the 8350, I used a H80i on mine, and currently a big Cooler Master air cooler and NEVER reach the temps you describe, even overclocked to 5ghz.   It sounds to me like your heatsink isn't installed properly, with the right heat transfer compound in the right amount.

Adept I
Adept I

I Have the same cpu and purchased the swiftech Apogee cpu mount, mcp655 pump and MCRx20-XP (extreme Performance) series radiator with 4x120mm fans setup as a push pull system. The radiator is outside of my chassis, using the the cooler room air to cool it(This is important.) Works great. I also have a fan blowing directly onto my VRM's with another directly above (sucking air out the top) and a make-shift venting system to keep the airflow running directly over the VRM's. That's very important. My FX 8350 is running around 4.5 ghz with my HTT frequency at  346mhz with a multiplier of 13. NB and sb frq at 2768mhz. 24/7 stable.

0 Kudos
Forerunner
Forerunner

I have to agree with Earnhardt on this one!

I'm using the FX-9370, H110i, and Asus Crosshair V Formula Z.

My numbers are about the same.

0 Kudos

I agree with dragonvet. I had my 8350 on a tiny 92mm rad and two ball barring fans in push pull and never saw temps over 60c. Even at 4.5ghz... I think the waterblock isn't tightened down all the way or correctly, and/or the thermal compound wasn't put on correctly.