cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

hydrohydroxic
Journeyman III

AMD FX8320 Overheating

I've had my processor for 4 years now and never had a problem with it until recently. These past few weeks I play the games I normally play but after a while the PC shuts down because the processor overheats. I thourougly dust everything and reapply thermal paste but the problem continues. I have an H100i liquid cooler and many fans. I'm running out of ideas of what's causing this. Could it be malware, drivers or something else?

0 Likes
7 Replies

Does your H100i sound funny? I was having the same problem with my H105, it'd be just fine but every now and then the temp would spike and cause a thermal shutdown, best I could figure it eventually developed a pinhole leak and started sucking air, sounds like what is happening to you. At night disconnect all your fans and listen to it as it boots in the morning, see if it sounds like your pump is sucking air.

I forgot to mention I have the redesigned version of the H100i. I'm not sure how likely a leak would be. I plan on getting an i7 8700k, new motherboard and cooler soon. Is there any other possible scenarios I could be in right now? It's either the processor or cooler giving up on me from my conclusions. I'll try to give your theory a shot.

0 Likes

Leaks are rare, but a seal could have developed a small hole over time, not enough to let liquid out but allow it to evaporate, and even if it did leak Corsair's warranty covers damage caused by a leak.

0 Likes

Thanks for all your help, but I have one more question. What are the possibilities of damage to a gpu if drops of coolant got onto its plate and into the motherboard gpu socket. The pc was never powered when it leaked.

0 Likes

All coolants are proprietary mixtures, but they're not supposed to be electrically conductive. You'd be able to tell immediately if it caused damage,

0 Likes

Thank you, problem resolved. A broken gpu would be the last thing I want with all the price gouging. All parts are working fine.

0 Likes

Lucky me, water cooler tube broke and coolant got on the processor and motherboard, no damage done yet.

0 Likes