cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

gigiux
Journeyman III

AMD® Fx(tm)-8350 eight-core processor × 8 at 77 degrees! Shall I worry?

Hello, 

I have an AMD FX-8350 on an MSI board and Linux Ubuntu environment. I am not running much on the machine (word processor, spotify, internet) and yet the temperature of the processor is at 77-79 degrees.

I don't think this is normal. What is the max temp of this processor? What could be the problem of this raise in temperature?

Tx

0 Likes
1 Solution

IF those CPU temperatures are accurate your processor is overheating and will eventually reach a critical temperature and shut down the computer.

The FX8350 is a very hot CPU and you need a powerful CPU Cooler to keep it within its Maximum Operating Temperature of 61c. At those temperatures, above 61c, your processor is throttling or slowing down to keep the temperature at 61c or lower.

The rated TDP of the FX8350 is 125 Watts. So you will need a powerful AIR or Liquid AIO CPU Cooler to keep it below 61c.

If it is running constantly above 61c it will shorten the life span of your processor.

NOTE: TDP Rating is how much heat your CPU Cooler will need to dissipate from the processor to keep it cool. So your CPU Cooler must be rated at least 150 Watt TDP for your FX8350.

I use a old CoolerMaster Hyper 212  EVO (TDP rated 150 watts) with 2 powerful CPU Fans on it keep my FX8350 from overheating when under heavy loads.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

IF those CPU temperatures are accurate your processor is overheating and will eventually reach a critical temperature and shut down the computer.

The FX8350 is a very hot CPU and you need a powerful CPU Cooler to keep it within its Maximum Operating Temperature of 61c. At those temperatures, above 61c, your processor is throttling or slowing down to keep the temperature at 61c or lower.

The rated TDP of the FX8350 is 125 Watts. So you will need a powerful AIR or Liquid AIO CPU Cooler to keep it below 61c.

If it is running constantly above 61c it will shorten the life span of your processor.

NOTE: TDP Rating is how much heat your CPU Cooler will need to dissipate from the processor to keep it cool. So your CPU Cooler must be rated at least 150 Watt TDP for your FX8350.

I use a old CoolerMaster Hyper 212  EVO (TDP rated 150 watts) with 2 powerful CPU Fans on it keep my FX8350 from overheating when under heavy loads.