cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

buggins
Newcomer

AMD FX 4130 Bulldozer overclock

With Catalyst control centre for years I was getting up to a 4.4 GHz overclock (from stock speed of 3.8 GHz). Granted it ran pretty hot at 4.4 GHz but was okay for large file transfers to speed things up a bit. Oh to put it into context I built my first PC in 2013 and have been upgrading and modding ever since.

I have just bought a new aftermarket cooler and was hoping to get up to maybe 4.5 or 4.6 GHz.

But Alas! AMD have done away with the overclocking facility in Catalyst. there is now a horrible ugly piece of software called AMD overdrive. I don't know what half the buttons are for any more. Call that my age, I am 48! (But I was soldering circuit boards when I was 16.)

So what has happened AMD, why the sudden sea change? I do wonder if the marketing execs forced this change to get those of us running so called "legacy" systems (personally I would call a system "legacy" if it was first running in the 1980s).

Whatever happened to prudent, money saving PC users, everything costs an absolute fortune these days.

0 Likes
5 Replies

It would be helpful to know more of your computer setup especially the Make & Model of your Motherboard, CPU Cooler, Windows version, etc.

I would suggest to ask at this Overclocking Forum to help you to Overclock via BIOS: Help me to Overclock AMD FX-4130 [Archive] - Overclockers Forums 

Found this thread at Tom's Hardware about Overclocking the FX4130 using BIOS. It did mention if your motherboard can't support overclocking due to its CPU wattage limit it could fry your motherboard's VRMs.: Help with overclocking AMD FX4130 CPU with stock cooler | Tom's Hardware Forum . It does mentions some settings for overclocking.

From the same website as above concerning how to Overclock the CPU: AMD CPU Overclocking Guide - List of Processors and Considerations 

0 Likes

My system spec is as follows:

Gigabyte 990-FXA-UD5 (Rev. 3.0)

Coolermaster Elite 430 ATX

Asus VE247 and AOC 24” monitors

Corsair MX-3 DDR3 1600 4Gb x4

Be Quiet Pure Power L8 730w

LG BH16NS40 Blu ray

Seagate Barracudas 2 Tb

2x Gigabyte Radeon HD6850

AMD FX4130 3.8 GHz ‘Bulldozer’

Samsung Evo 750 500 Gb (system)

Be Quiet Pure Rock Slim (twin 92 mm fans)

Windows 10 64 Bit Pro

I would prefer a software over clock so I can ramp up and down without rebooting.

0 Likes

Can't reccomend using AMD overdive for OC, Tried using that tool in the past on my FX8370E and it was just so unforgiving if you messed up compared to the old catalyst software which was much easier to use. So no, its not your age, that tool was just too overly complicated than it needed to be and AMD knew this and is why their new software for Overclocking Ryzen, Called RyzenMaster is very easy to use.

Its why i mainly Overclock my FX Processor in the Bios as its much easier there, and if something goes wrong you can just easily clear cmos.

you are better off moving to a socket AM4 solution as there is not a lot that you can do to get around the limitations of the FX 4130.

AM4 boards have M.2 slots for fast SSD drives that will allow you to boot in < 30 seconds to the desktop.

0 Likes

Since you know the settings which work, you should just set it in BIOS. Also, AMD Overdrvie as a standard tool offers much more monitoring and settings capabilities than it ever did when integrated with the Radeon software suite, especially since the Ryzen 3000 series have mis-matched maximum core speed, AMD Overdrive now allows much tighter overclocking options to get the most out of each core.

0 Likes