cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

SEMISamW
Adept I

AMD Customer Services claims my retail box CPU is OEM/TRAY Processor and refuses to send bootkit...

Hi folks, I got a 5800X two weeks ago.

I found out that the motherboard bios need update and the store is far away from my home, so I applied for AMD's bootkit.

However, after I send them the SN and Part Number, the customer service said that it is a wrong SN for PIB and claimed that this is an OEM Processor.

But the QR code on the seal of my retail BOX indicates that this is an authentic product.

I so am confused now >...<

Is the AMD customer services try not to send me a CPU for bios update or I got scammed?

MOBO: ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS

SEMISamW_0-1611915810137.png

0 Likes
3 Solutions

I recommend providing a picture of the retail box which shows the serial number you provided as they requested in your response.

View solution in original post

According to CPU World on the Ryzen 7 5800X the Part numbers for: https://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Zen/AMD-Ryzen%207%205800X.html

Screenshot 2021-01-29 080514.png

OEM - 100-000000063 is an OEM/tray microprocessor - Doesn't qualify for AMD Warranty thus no boot kit.

Retail Processor - 100-100000063WOF is a boxed microprocessor without fan and heatsink - Does qualify for AMD Warranty and boot kit.

The Part Number should be printed on the surface of the CPU.

Your Retail CPU should have "WOF" at the end of the part number to indicate it is a Retail Processor and not a OEM.

So unless someone switched your processor and replaced it with a OEM Processor or the wrong processor was put in the Retail Box at the factory.

As an example only:

Ebay is selling a Ryzen 5800X here is the description and part number showing: https://www.ebay.com/p/12041984358?iid=224310869882

Screenshot 2021-01-29 083111.png

SEMISamW
Adept I

Updates,

I sent an email to AMD antifraud team, they help me proved that the CPU is an authentic retail product and speeded up my request.

But still, it took me 10+ emails and almost 10 days to get this done.

The customer service could be improved in some aspects.

1)

For example, detailed instructions on what information and where to find that information could be provided. As there are different OPNs on the box and CPU lid. The online instruction fails to elaborate the differences. 

2)

Also, the customer services professionals need more training on how to handle common cases and communicate with customers. I would rate 10/10 for the response of the antifraud team and 5/10 for the customer service team...

Hope they could see this and get some feedback.

I really like AMD, especially I understand how hard it could be to build great products as I am also involved in this industry. 

Thanks for leaving your comments, wish everybody a fruitful 2021!

Best

Sam

15 Replies
SEMISamW
Adept I

FYI, the reply from customer support.

SEMISamW_0-1611915954335.png

0 Likes

I recommend providing a picture of the retail box which shows the serial number you provided as they requested in your response.

Hi Matt, 

thanks for the tips.

I did send them more pics of the box, cpu etc.

the response speed is getting little frustrated now. Is there anyway to speed this up?

This is the third time I send them pics about the SN, part number.

Thanks for the reply!

0 Likes

6612C80C-B300-4FE8-B980-C1938774010E.jpeg

Hi Matt, the SN is 9KB9850X00130,

I would be much obliged to have your help to check this.
Best Regards 

Sam

According to CPU World on the Ryzen 7 5800X the Part numbers for: https://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Zen/AMD-Ryzen%207%205800X.html

Screenshot 2021-01-29 080514.png

OEM - 100-000000063 is an OEM/tray microprocessor - Doesn't qualify for AMD Warranty thus no boot kit.

Retail Processor - 100-100000063WOF is a boxed microprocessor without fan and heatsink - Does qualify for AMD Warranty and boot kit.

The Part Number should be printed on the surface of the CPU.

Your Retail CPU should have "WOF" at the end of the part number to indicate it is a Retail Processor and not a OEM.

So unless someone switched your processor and replaced it with a OEM Processor or the wrong processor was put in the Retail Box at the factory.

As an example only:

Ebay is selling a Ryzen 5800X here is the description and part number showing: https://www.ebay.com/p/12041984358?iid=224310869882

Screenshot 2021-01-29 083111.png

Oh Thanks for explanation!

That make sense, since I left the WOF and only report the number part.

But it is still interesting that the OPN on the box has WOF, the OPN on CPU lid does not.

Do you think it is correct?

(As shown below)

SEMISamW_0-1611928655267.png

SEMISamW_1-1611928698210.png

0 Likes

I don't know @Matt_AMD  might be able to explain it.

The Serial Number should indicate a Retail CPU processor though.

NOTE: Looking at the AMD Retail box you are showing doesn't look anything like the AMD  Retail box shown on Ebay's image that I posted.

Was the AMD Retail box sealed with a White label on the edge of the box showing the Serial Number and Part Number on it?Screenshot 2021-01-29 083111.png

Here is AMD Support explaining how to tell if you have an Official AMD Retail Box or a fake one: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/warranty-information/pib-authenticity

Screenshot 2021-01-29 093519.png

Your AMD Retail Box doesn't look like an Official AMD Retail Box for the Ryzen Processors.

Where did you purchase your Processor from?

0 Likes

it looks exactly like the normal AMD retail box.

sealed with SN and OPN on it.

21FECCE2-60FC-43DE-87EF-12D0854B710D.jpeg

But it only has the seal on the top, no seal on the bottom. 

I double check the invoice, I paid for the retail box, they do sell OEM CPU too.

It is a local store in Sunnyvale called central computer. Here is their website: https://www.centralcomputer.com/

0 Likes

That's better. The image you posted was a light beige box with black lettering which is why I asked.

The advertisement from Central Computers seems to be genuine.

I would contact Central Computers and see what they say about AMD mentioning you have a OEM processor.

But either way, AMD should honor your AMD Processor if it came in the correct official AMD Retail Box which is why probably AMDMATT mentioned to send photos of the label and box to AMD.

NOTE: OEM CPUs doesn't come in a AMD Retail Box. Only AMD Retail Processors come in a AMD Retail box.

Hi elstaci,

Thank you for spending the time to help me out.

Really appreciate your efforts.

Best 

Sam

0 Likes

hopefully AMDMATT will be able to verify your Serial Number as being a Retail CPU and not a OEM CPU.

0 Likes
SEMISamW
Adept I

Updates,

I sent an email to AMD antifraud team, they help me proved that the CPU is an authentic retail product and speeded up my request.

But still, it took me 10+ emails and almost 10 days to get this done.

The customer service could be improved in some aspects.

1)

For example, detailed instructions on what information and where to find that information could be provided. As there are different OPNs on the box and CPU lid. The online instruction fails to elaborate the differences. 

2)

Also, the customer services professionals need more training on how to handle common cases and communicate with customers. I would rate 10/10 for the response of the antifraud team and 5/10 for the customer service team...

Hope they could see this and get some feedback.

I really like AMD, especially I understand how hard it could be to build great products as I am also involved in this industry. 

Thanks for leaving your comments, wish everybody a fruitful 2021!

Best

Sam

Great that you finally got your problem resolved.

But how did you contact AMD Anti-Fraud who verified your CPU was Retail and not OEM?

Just asking for my own future reference.

I sent all the pictures to AMD antifraud@amd.com ask for help to verify the SN and OPN.

They respond very quickly.

Help this could help you in case of needs.

Thanks!

0 Likes