Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

AMD Catalyst Control Center for overclocking FX-4100 CPU

So I have had this desktop build for over 2 years now and the AMD Catalyst  Control Center, I was pretty sure, was where I went to overclock my CPU as well as the GPU. However now the option to overclock the CPU is gone. I had even started the auto tune feature and it was testing at different volts and everything else and then something had finished updating and it forced a restart and now i only have the option to overclock the GPU. What happened to the CPU overclocking feature and where can I get it back. Thanks for any input.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Re: AMD Catalyst Control Center for overclocking FX-4100 CPU

Always overclock the CPU using BIOS, never a software based tool.

Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

I appreciate the reply but this does not answer my question. Not to mention the fact that I would never overclock form bios for fear of going to far and damaging something. The software based program I'm speaking of was part of the drivers for the processor and the auto tune bumps it up and then tests it and then bumps it up again etc etc so you know where it is safe to put it. Thanks though.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

You can't damage the CPU unless you shoot 1.5v to it or run it for extended periods past 60°C.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

I too miss the original software overlock which was simple and easy to use and once the range of settings were established could easily revert back to stock CPU speeds at the touch of a button. Why has AMD disabled this amazing feature? Was it too easy and effective to use?! The new AMD overdrive software is worse than useless, at my first attempt at overclocking I started to get "interrupts" flashing across my screens so obviously the attempted overclock (not extreme by my previous standards) had caused a glitch in the graphics (even though I never overclock graphics and would never wish to.)

0 Kudos