cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

fishy
Journeyman III

AMD ATHLON X4 860K overheating problem

Hi I have an amd athlon x4 860k inside my pc but I just cant figure out why its over heating all the time on idle with nothing running it was at this temp on speccy going in between 74 and 84 but when I play a game it goes up to around 90 I have even seen it say 100 before. I have a small room but my window is always wide open so my pc always a a cold flow of air coming through. Please help.speccy temp2.pngspeccy temp.png

0 Kudos
9 Replies
ray_m
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: AMD ATHLON X4 860K overheating problem

Those temperatures are definitely high.

It could be the fan is not working properly or may require to be reseated with new thermal paste.

0 Kudos
cbjason
Journeyman III

Use HWiNFO instead. The value is wrong (probably double). It's impossible for that chip to get that hot without the system turning off.

0 Kudos
anthonys
Adept I

Is there a big build up of dust in the heatsink?  Try using some canned air to blow out the heatsink. Use a pencil to stop the fan from freewheeling. NOTE: be sure power is off. You probably know that but I felt I had to mention it.

Then, with the case open, turn the computer on and note if all the fans are running.   75C=165F  Probably dust choked fins or a dead fan.

0 Kudos
fishy
Journeyman III

So I tried HWiNFO it still said minimum 72 and maximum 82 on the cpu temp I checked my heat sync (which I air dusted my computer a couple of days ago there is no dust the fan is working properly but I haven't tried re seating the thermal paste.

0 Kudos
fishy
Journeyman III

And I have been experiencing a few random restarts lately while playing games. I have unchecked the box that makes my pc restart when an error occurs but it has restarted still with no warning I have done a full file scan (which took 5 hours long) to check to see if I have a virus that is doing this but there are no viruses. I am moving house soon so ill see if that helps the temperature with it being in a big more open room instead of a small cramped bed room. Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
fishy
Journeyman III

i have found the solution to my pc restarting i got the Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power error in event log which is a faulty power supply but thank you all for trying to help!

0 Kudos
oscill79
Journeyman III

This chip does run HOT!!! I run it on a FM2A88X Extreme 6+ mobo, with a EVGA GTX 960 4Gb GDDR5 (which of course takes a bit of the load off the cpu.) My cpu cooler is a Corsair H80i V2. Running my cpu at stock 3.7mhz to overclocking it to 4.0 mhz with Arctic Silver 5 TIM the temp never exceeds 79c.

Side not: You can also run this chip using extreme hold hair wax in this particular build with the cooler fan removed and the radiator resting in a bowl of ice water. I'm running Just Cause 4 on max settings at 60-62 fps at 59c. All this of course with the help from 2 corsair 120mm .64a (I think) PURPLE LED (necessary information :'-D) blowing from the top of case in and one foxconn .46amp ??? cpu fan blowing directly on the VRM heatsink immediately ejecting the warm air out the backside case exhaust fan. Case side panel left open with appropriate selection for such in the BIOS.

WARNING: DO NOT submerge the radiator up the hoses. The fabric mesh on the hoses will absorb the water up to cpu. ALSO TRY AT YOUR OWN RISK! lol I'm not responsible for people being as dumb as me.

Long story short...buy a H100i or least equivalent water cooler and you should be just fine with some Arctic Silver 5 or Grizzly Kryonaut. Provided twin fan radiators will fit your form factor.

0 Kudos
lukster
Journeyman III

You have to clean dust from hardwer, and when you clean the dust the temperature will be normal. When i am iddle my temperature is 5 C

0 Kudos
lukster
Journeyman III

I meant cpu temp

0 Kudos