cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

micorazonsito57
Journeyman III

AMD athlon ii 170u

Hi I have this older tower that has an AMD athlon ii 170u. I cant find much on it and its 14 years old. was wanting to upgrade it. Not looking to go crazy and spend a ton of money. For that I would just buy a new computer. Just looking to get its 200 ghz up to at least 2.60 preferably somewhere around 3.00.

0 Likes
2 Replies
dacq
Adept III

You can use any AM3 processor. Www.ebay.com has sellers who can send overseas. There is the 6-core Phenom II X6 1055T (HDT55TWFK6DGR), Phenom II X6 1065T (HDT65TWFK6DGR).

T

There are also 4-core processors: Phenom II X4 955 (HDX955WFK4DGM), Phenom II X4 945 (HDX945WFK4DGI, HDX945WFK4DGM), Phenom II X4 960T (HD96ZTWFK4DGR) (the last is a 6-core with 2 cores disabled so you could enable them if your BIOS allows it). There is also the Phenom II X4 905e. Those are all 95W but there are 125W 6-cores: 1075T, 1090T & 1100T.

You can use a small screwdriver to put a rice-grain-size blob of thermal paste on the CPU in the middle. Also use it to straighten any bent pins. Renew the paste every 12–18 months.

Ebay also sell $2 GD900 thermal paste that's as good as the reputed Arctic MX4. It could take 8 weeks to reach you from China otherwise try Thermal Grizzly Hydronaut.

0 Likes

Is this a computer your built or bought as a whole computer setup?

If bought as a computer setup you need to go to the manufacturer of the computer to see what processors are compatible with your motherboard and if they have a BIOS to support the upgraded processor. I would suggest to open a Support ticket with the computer's manufacturer to find out what processors are compatible.

If you built this computer, then you need to go the Motherboard's manufacturer and see what Processors are compatible and what BIOS you need to install to support the new processor or open a Support ticket on the Motherboard's Support site.

0 Likes