cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

mrgreggl
Journeyman III

AMD athlon 860K is only showing 2 cores but 4 logical processors in windows, when it used to show 4 and 4

Jump to solution

Hi

I have tried the msconfig method and re-installed windows, my Bios shows 4 active cores and is setup to use them all. can anyone help?

I have had this processor a while and it has always displayed 4 cores and 4 logical processors until recently.

could anyone offer any suggestions.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: AMD athlon 860K is only showing 2 cores but 4 logical processors in windows, when it used to show 4 and 4

Jump to solution

The Athlon 860K has 2 Steamroller Modules each composed of 2 integer and 1 floating point processor, therefore it is a 2 core, 4 logical processor, 4 thread processor.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Re: AMD athlon 860K is only showing 2 cores but 4 logical processors in windows, when it used to show 4 and 4

Jump to solution

The Athlon 860K has 2 Steamroller Modules each composed of 2 integer and 1 floating point processor, therefore it is a 2 core, 4 logical processor, 4 thread processor.

View solution in original post

mrgreggl
Journeyman III

Jump to solution

Thank you for explaining, but its odd that its been displayed differently until now and that it is advertised as true quad core CPU is that not slightly false advertising?

0 Likes

Jump to solution

Depends on how you define the word "core", but the majority of home user's applications use integer calculations. The problems come from programs which do not use multiple cores effectively (unlike they must use all 8 cores properly and efficiently in consoles, PC games often do not utilize more than two with any effectiveness), and then there's the role of the Windows scheduler to effectively distribute the load. If you're using Windows 7 then depending on if you have the Bulldozer patches installed (KB2645594 and KB2646060) it will report differently.

0 Likes
hardcoregames_
Big Boss

Jump to solution

the AMD logical cores are much better than Intel's with hyperthreading which are of very limited advantage

My old Phenom II X4 965 is a true quad core so it does not have problems with some of these other processor offerings

0 Likes