Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

auraxium
Adept I

AMD Athlon 200GE + MSI A320M PRO-VD PLUS = No DVI Signal from Motherboard

Hi All,

ISSUE

I cannot get motherboard DVI port to display an image, even during post/BIOS before Windows boots. The VGA port works just fine though.

If I plug in both VGA and DVI to the monitor, both inputs are detected (one as DisplayPort(?) and one as DVI-D) and shown in Radeon settings, as well as 2 monitors picked up in Device Manager.

NOTE: The DVI port works just fine if I swap the Athlon 200GE for a Ryzen 3 2200G.

SPECS

• Athlon 200GE CPU
  • MSI A320M PRO-VD PLUS
  • 2 x 4GB DDR4 2666

WHAT I'VE TRIED SO FAR

• Tried 2 different DVI cables
  • Tried a DVI -> HDMI cable.
  • Tried 2 different monitors.
  • Updated to latest BIOS.
  • Disabled UEFI and Secure Boot.
  • Disabled XMP in BIOS.
  • Set IGD to Force in BIOS.

Going to try re-seating and re-inserting everything tonight and set initial display to IGD in BIOS tonight. Apart from that I'm totally stuck. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
1 Solution

After further testing this evening using a B350 motherboard I was able to successfully output a DVI signal using the 200GE CPU. So it appears to be a BIOS problem specific to the MSI A320M PRO-VD PLUS.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

What resolution is your monitor set?

Try resetting BIOS to "Optimum Settings" by hitting F6 while in BIOS, I believe, according to your manual. See if that makes any difference.

You don't have a DVI adapter connected to your Monitor by any chance (DVI-VGA  or DVI-DP etc)?

Hi, thanks for getting in touch.

So far I have tried two monitors, one with 1280x1024 native resolution using VGA and DVI ports and the other with 1920x1080 resolution using a DVI > HDMI cable.

I have not used a DVI > VGA adapter yet although I may try it this evening just to see what happens. I also have a third monitor available for testing with a 1920x1080 resolution, VGA, DVI and HDMI ports so will try that as well.

I forgot to mention that I have already reset BIOS to defaults with no effect. I think I will also try actually clearing the CMOS using the motherboard jumper just to be sure.

0 Likes

Try using a "Active" DVI-HDMI or DVI-VGA adapter. That way you will know that the signal is being converted to HDMI or VGA from DVI.

"Passive" adapter does not convert the GPU signal. It just sends the GPU signal straight to the monitor without conversion.

That is why, especially with VGA adapters, to use "Active" adapter rather than "passive" adapters. "Active" tend to be more compatible with Monitors.

FYI: I had a 21" Acer HD Monitor that when I booted up it would not display any video connected to a HDMI output. But once Windows started, I got video.  The only way to get video and be able to access BIOS was connecting the Monitor to DVI output.

Later on, I upgraded my ACER HD Monitor to a another ACER 27" HD Monitor. To my surprise, with an HDMI Output, I got video while BIOS was booting up. So I have access to BIOS now with a HDMI cable connected.

By the way, the 21" ACER Monitor I gave to my wife to use and it still has the same problem with another different computer setup.

EDIT: Make sure that in Windows Settings - Display the resolution is at or below 1920 x 1200

After further testing this evening using a B350 motherboard I was able to successfully output a DVI signal using the 200GE CPU. So it appears to be a BIOS problem specific to the MSI A320M PRO-VD PLUS.