Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

ameerasan
Adept I

AMD APU Overheating

Hi all,

I have a 3 year old AMD A8 5600k with temperatures reaching 80 degree at idle, goes 125 when opening multiple apps. I set pc to auto shutdown when temps reach 130. It does have a stock cpu cooler with 5 led fans on a tempered glass casing. I was wondering what could be the culprit of this issue. Could it be a poor ventilation on the glass casing? Could be an issue with the stock cooler which probably can't supply cool air to the cpu or could it be an issue with the cpu and mobo itself? I'm using HWMonitor to measure the temperature.

Here's my build:

A8 5600K

Corsair VS450W PSU

1x 8GB HyperFury X RAM

Gigabyte FM2+ Mobo

WD SSD

Your answers are greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
5 Replies

I'm guessing that's in Fahrenheit, so 55*C, which is warm but not dangerous. When was the last time you cleaned your case and components of dust and reapplied thermal interface material on the heatsink?

I apologize, I forgot to mention it's in celsius, fahrenheit will reach 200 something. I cleaned the case and applied thermal paste a week ago. That's when I noticed the unusual temperature.

0 Likes

Either your CPU Cooler is not correctly installed or the CPU fan is not turning on or going to maximum with high temperatures or the coils are dirty with an oily film or simply the CPU Cooler is bad.

Make sure the CPU Cooler is tight on the CPU with very little wiggling. If you put TOO much Thermal Paste it will cause your CPU to have high temperatures. just a very small dab or very thin layer of thermal paste is all that is needed. Also make sure both the CPU and Heatsink surfaces is completely clean of the old Thermal paste by using Isopropyl Alcohol. Otherwise when you apply the new thermal paste it won't make good contact causing the CPU to overheat. Make sure the CPU Cooler is level with the CPU surface and there are no gaps.

You might consider replacing the CPU Cooler with a newer better CPU Cooler if the above doesn't fix your overheating CPU problems.

I'll try to replace the CPU cooler though the stock one still runs pretty fine. I ordered one online and I will update this thread once installed. Still waiting for the item arrive though.

Thanks for the input.

0 Likes

Okay, I got my new cpu cooler a week ago and installed it right away (made sure I installed it the right way). I noticed a significant drop of temperature. When my pc is idle, temp is around 50*C something and full load (CSGO and DOTA 2) will reach 70ish*C.

Does it still indicate a bad mobo?

0 Likes